ccowden

Motorola RAZR

What do you think of it?

GSM phones are real big where I am at right now. If your going for something like the RAZR because of it's features then I would point you to the Sony Ericsson W600 as it kicks the RAZRs ass in all areas IMO.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have one and I don't like it.. sure it is slim and cool looking but...

The user interface is pants, for example, you can't select a number of messages to delete, you either have to delete them one at a time or all of them (not useful if you want to keep one or two).

If you are wanting to look up a name in your phone book, you can't just type in a name, when you type in the first letter it takes you to that letter in the phone book but when you type in the second, it takes to that letter... e.g. if you were looking for "Phil", you type in P and it takes you to the beginning of entries beginning with P in the phone book, if you then type in 'H' it takes you to the entries with the first letter of H... a real bummer if you seem to have (like me) a lot of mates who's first name begins with the letter D!

The predictive text is way way poorer than Nokia's offering - takes me twice as long to text and it drives me nuts.

The digital camera quality is poor.

Mine also turns itself off randomly and I know of a few other owners who have had similar tech. faults.

The reception is okay though and for such a small phone I get reasonable battery life.

Hope this helps

Adam,

Yah and you can't store multiple numbers under one person's name. Even if you enter them in the same entry, it comes up as two entries in your address book with a little symbol for mobile, home, or office. I've got over 400 entries in my cell between work and life, searching is a pain in the arse.

But I'll keep it for a while cause it was free. I'm sure I'll break it in 6mos or so..

Hey Chris, I ended up getting one and I also bought one for Mel. We both love ours and have had no problems with it.

My service is with Cingular in Louisiana/Florida and I have no major problems. Everyone has areas where dead spots occur, but I probably have the best reception out of most of my friends.

Yeah the digi camera on it isn't good (but who seriously takes photos with their phone?? That's when I break out the digi SLR).

Slim is the one thing I love about it. I don't even feel it when I have it in my pocket and that's a nice feature to have.

I've heard people saying that they don't like it, but mine and Mel's have held up great. That's my take on it at least.
Jason Jerusalem
[email protected]

My wife and i use Cingular. She is a flight attendant and we are all over the country and have no service problems,and the razr is slimmer and black and thats what i wanted. I don't use all the other features teens love. So its good for me.
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

As far as comparison to other models, The original V3 RAZR was the first of it's kind. Similar slim phone followed the razor and over time more features were added. The original V3 is only part of the slim line offered by Motorola. For more features on a GSM phone you should inquire about the V3i. (that is an ' i ' at the end) This is a newer version of the V3 with some upgrades. For other technologies there are solutions as well. The V3c is for CDMA carriers, and V3x for 3G carriers (very minimal use in the US this phone is mostly for european and japanese markets)

The original V3 RAZR was hailed as the best voice call performing phone on the market at that time. Due to the amount of new technology used in the electrical design of the phone. I'm sorry I am unable to publish the numbers to back that up. I can say that I have never had a problem when I carried one, and have many friends that say their phones perform very well.

I tried to include links to comparisons but they were not working.

If you would like to research any more mobile phones I found this great site.
www.softpedia.com

I don't carry the V3 RAZR any longer. I had to give it back, getting a U6 PEBL. Also a Nice phone.

Thanks for reading.

Motorola loves everyone who buys the RAZR, because it's a three year old phone in a slim case. Zero development money spent, but twice the price.

The camera is bad, the UI is worse, there's not enough onboard memory, the expandable memory card is non-existant, or on the updated version of it, it's a ridiculous format.

It's slim, but wide. The quad-band is nice, though.

Much of the same applies to the Nokia 8800/8801, but that doesn't even have the quadband.
cavete terrae.

I like mine, but it was free.

It slim, so I can just slip it into my pocket.

The camera sucks, but I would not buy a cell phone for a good camera.

All in all its OK, but I am not married to it....If I found a same size phone with another brand I get it.

I had a little problem charging mine and a BIG problem with my other Motorola...Like I said, it was free so I took it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yah and you can't store multiple numbers under one person's name.

That's the biggest thing I don't like about my Razor... Honestly, I love mine, despite it's shortcomings. Prior to this, I had an LG - it sucked. Even if it was a lemon, I doubt I'll ever buy an LG product again, it was that bad...:( Then I bought the Razor a couple months back.

The software on the phone is very similar to alot of the other Motorola phones. As someone mentioned, I wouldn't doubt that they just put the same software in a new design. [:/]

A couple coworkers got the Razor shortly after me, and they all seem to love theirs as well. The Bluetooth headset works great for me. Not sure why Chaoskitty is having probs... :(

FYI, if you have the Bluetooth enabled, it kills the battery pretty quick.

Keep in mind my comments are relative.... my last phone sucked... Compared to my LG, I'd probably be bragging about how great a tin can and a string are. :S

Jeff

ps- Samsung just came out with a Razor 'clone'. Don't know anything about it, but it might be worth looking into. Perhaps they built on Moto's shortcomings?
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I got one of those girlie pink ones for christmas and I love it!!

The fact that it is slimline is a real plus as when I am at work I can fit it in my suit pocket without a great bulging lump on my hip as I am walking about. Also I find it really easy to use. Okay, the phonebook sucks to use and you do have to scroll down through the numbers but I personally don't mind that as I think it is a really great phone in other ways. I have no problems with signal either and so far the battery has'nt had to be charged and I am still on 2 bars!! My last phone was a piece of shite when it came to battery life.

I say go and get yourself one if you think it's for you.

Happy new year and yuletide blessings by the way!:)

The other thing I was wondering is about the camera. People are all saying the camera sucks. Are you comparing it to other CAMERAS or other CAMERA PHONES? I mean, I know that the cameras on phones are pretty crappy, but the one on my current LG isn't bad at all and I actually use it for my job quite a bit for snapping a picture here and there.

So are we talking about the RAZR camera being crappier than other camera phones, or just crappy as far as camera go?

my niece lindsay recieved one for her x-mas gift. she absolutely loves it. the only thing i saw that i would have a problem with is, when you get a different color backing to put on the phone there is no protector to fit over the lens of the camera.
other than that , she says good things about it.

Ignore the flaming,,get one, it works great as a phone

Say I did get one - what do I do with the old phone? Will Cingular and other carriers recycle for me?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?