aresye

New to skydiving. Love it so far!

Well, I thought it would be best to introduce myself first. I'm 20 years old and active duty in the US Navy. I had no real intention to skydive until I made friends with an active duty skydiver in Pensacola, FL. Eventually, after seeing some of his videos, and listening to stories, I decided to work towards my license. I started the Tandem/IAF program at Emerald Coast Skydiving in Alabama, and finished all but my last AFF jump before I had to transfer to San Diego. Everybody was a great friend at Emerald Coast, and I consider it my home DZ.

So I finished up my AFF training at Skydive Elsinore, and am currently doing a few solo jumps to get my technique down before progressing to coach jumps. I should be able to get my license within the next month, I hope. Right now I'm already looking into what I would want for a rig. I'm thinking about a wings container, partly because of the 50% military discount, but also because I've heard they're great, and very comfortable.

Any recommendations on how to get started on customizing a rig? I know it'll take some time before it can be shipped, and I'll likely be downsizing until then. Right now I weigh approx. 190, and have been jumping a 260. It feels pretty slow, and I've had many stand up landings, I think I'm good to downsize to a 240, but I'll ask my instructors at the dropzone first. When looking for a canopy size on a future rig, is it a realistic goal to look at a 210, considering it will likely be around 3-4 months for my rig to be completed?
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Well, I am in the ARMY and I decided to go with a brand new wings and I must say that I simply love it. It is extremely comfortable.

As far as options, I would recommend getting the cut-in laterals and articulated harness. All the others are just to make the rig look pretty and helps with resale.

As far as designing the container that really falls on you. It all depends on what you like.

I hope I have helped in some way and remember that what I say is just my opinion. Take what you what from what IOsay
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

Though i must say 50% off is a good deal, many people with more jump numbers and experience than I got will tell you that you really don't want a customised brand new rig right now.

As you say you won't be jumping that 240 for any longer than that it takes for your instructors to clear you for a smaller size canopy. Containers are manufactured for a certain size of canopy; the one capable of holding your 240 may or may not fit a 210.
And as you progress you will probably want to downsize again at some point, meaning you'll probably want to resell your current relatively new canopy to someone.
The bigger these canopies are, the fewer prospective buyers you got.

Perhaps it's best to look at older gear first, if the price difference is significant you may be better off with a less than perfect second hand rig.
Contact the (wings) manufacturer tell them which main you wnat and what reserve size and ask them what sizes of that main parachute the container will hold.
If it's 260/240 it's maybe better to wait until you're ready for a 210, so you can buy a container hich fits a 210/190 (sizes are random examples).
That way you'll save yourself the money of having to buy a smaller container along with a smaller main.

That's my advice, for what it's worth.
Better yet, ask your instructors.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Thanks for your service. :)
Talk to your instructors about canopy sizing. A 210 would be a realistic choice for someone your weight but they know your skill level far better than someone on the internet can.

You've got good skydiving gear stores near you - Square One at Perris, Gravity Gear in San Diego and I think Elsinore has one too. The people there can talk you through the process of buying gear. Take advantage of them!

You may also find a few of the articles here to be helpful.

So I finished up my AFF training at Skydive Elsinore, and am currently doing a few solo jumps to get my technique down before progressing to coach jumps. I should be able to get my license within the next month, I hope. Right now I'm already looking into what I would want for a rig. I'm thinking about a wings container, partly because of the 50% military discount, but also because I've heard they're great, and very comfortable.#

Half of $1500 or $1650 (MSRP for fixed and articulated harnesses without options) is still $750 or $825, means that you won't be able to get a package deal price on a used reserve (used reserves and containers go together more often than not), and that you'll be spending more on rental gear (if you made a typical 40 jumps over 3-4 months and spent $25 a jump on equipment rental that'd make the new gear cost $1000 more).

If your torso is not abnormally long or short you might just look for a used rig.

When looking for a canopy size on a future rig, is it a realistic goal to look at a 210, considering it will likely be around 3-4 months for my rig to be completed?

That's likely to be the case.

Thank you all for the replies. I'll ask this weekend at the DZ what a realistic canopy size for me will be 2-3 months down the line, and about the whole process of buying a rig. Wings might have a stock rig that fits me well enough. Just want a decent, well-rounded rig to be able to have sometime between my 30-40th jump. I have the money saved up already, but I obviously don't want to go overboard.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I was one day away from ordering my "perfect" new rig at about 60 jumps. That night my friend called me selling his used but totally FF/WS ready Jav. I bought it just for the fact that I could afford the entire thing w/o going into any debt. Yeah, it wasn't my colors, but it fit, it was cheap, and was the best decision I made as far a gear purchases. That rig served me for over 200 jumps and got me to a point to where I understand the gear I want a lot more.

I recently bought a "new to me" Mirage. I consider myself a current jumper with almost 400 mumps in under 3 years but have sought much canopy/FF coaching.

If you see yourself not jumping on not such a regular basis, It may be a good option to order that Wings at such a good discount. at that rate you may end up spending some time under the 210-240 range. I myself made over 200 jumps in my first year and a half and was ready to jump the 170-190 range by that time.

I hate using the general "talk to your instructors" advise but it is good advise. It has served me well and they will have far more experience and better advice than I do. I am just giving you my personal experience.

Good luck and be safe. Thanks again for your service to our country.