flyusa

Skiing with a parachute on

Okay, I heard of paraskiing where you land on a target with skis on then cutaway - but I am interested in skiing down the mountain with a parachute on like these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf32z3lXnqQ

http://www.redbullusa.com/bladeraid#page=ArticlePage.1204330295382-926581728.0

SO - my big question is - what kind of canopy do I want to use for that?
There are many in government who have a very simple tax proposal in mind. There will be only two lines on the tax form: 1-How much did you make last year? 2-Send it.

Okay, I heard of paraskiing where you land on a target with skis on then cutaway

that's not paraskiing, that's James-Bonding.
Paraskiing is normal accuracy, plus a ski race (slalom IIRC)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Its called Speed Flying, and it is a very popular and growing sport in Europe. The US will not likely see the same growth or development due to the liability issues we see at ski resorts. Not to mention that ski mountaineering and paragliding are considerably bigger sports in Europe than the US.

There are a number of manufacturers of speed flying wings. PD sells one called the Spire, but it is likely to be too expensive. The Gin Nano is the preferred competition wing in Europe, and the Ozone Bullet is pretty popular. Both of those sell for about $1500 USD and that includes the harness.

Just Google "speed flying" and you'll learn a lot in less than an hour.
Before going up and trying it, though, I would recommend finding some folks who have done it and can talk you through the dangers. This is not a harebrained idea ready for development, but is instead a full-fledged sport with instructors, competitions with rules and prize money, method-specific gear by a number of manufacturers, and a growing base of participants who not only know what they are doing but are unbelievably competent. It is also delightfully dangerous even when you know what you are doing, so be careful and get some instruction.

One of the best instructors out there is Chris Santacroce. He's on the Red Bull Team, and he runs a paragliding outfit in Utah. Google him and contact him for good info.

There are a number of manufacturers of speed flying wings. PD sells one called the Spire, but it is likely to be too expensive. The Gin Nano is the preferred competition wing in Europe, and the Ozone Bullet is pretty popular.

Yeah in Europe the Nano's are popular. After being in the competition at Crystal mt. a few weeks back all the people with the bullets and nanos were having a hard time staying down with the slope. The only canopies that could compete were the skydiving canopies that were loaded over 2.0
Na' Cho' Cheese

The Crystal Mt. course was scouted, flown, and set up with skydiving canopies in mind. If I were to compete in a US groundlaunch event, then I would probably run the JVX, bigger Xaos etc - especially knowing who would set up the course!
If in Europe, chances are the course was designed by a Nano or Bullet pilot, so you might expect to see a different pitch.

a stilleto 120 is one of the best canopies to learn on if you are a skydiver. if you are a paraglider a nano or bullet is a good option. the canopies built from paraglide compaines are much different then skydive canopies they have trimers and you would want to stay off the risers as they colaps much easyer with too much imput from the risers.