flyingferret

Santa Barbara - Good food?

There is PLENTY of good food in Santa Barbara/Montecito/Goleta. Of course, I haven't been there in about 3 years, but it was a second home to me for a while.

A place to start for location is "The Harbor" on stearns Wharf. Actually, start upstairs at "Longboards" for some beer and snacks in a good environment. The nice restaurant downstairs is "The Harbor." It was great when I lived there, but last time I was there I was unimpressed with the service and the food. It might have just been a bad day.

Of course, right on the beach by the airport is the Beachside Cafe. Nice atmosphere and decent food. Also close to campus.

You can find lots of places along lower State Street. Most are reasonable and touristy-type cafes.

On the other hand, there are some true gems. Ca Dario, off of Victoria Street, is a wonderful Italian place. There's also a great one in Montecito in the Coast Village, but the name escapes me.

If you plan on going someplace nice with somebody, take about a 20-30 minute drive and go to Cold Springs Tavern. It's up the 154, and is a nice place for a date.

Finally, if looking for drunken debauchery with a bunch of college kids, go to Isla Vista. Woodstock's has great pizza, Freebird's World Burrito is religion there, and I found myself always enjoying Giovanni's Pizza for pitchers.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

There is PLENTY of good food in Santa Barbara/Montecito/Goleta. Of course, I haven't been there in about 3 years, but it was a second home to me for a while.

Goleta REPRESENT!

A place to start for location is "The Harbor" on stearns Wharf. Actually, start upstairs at "Longboards" for some beer and snacks in a good environment. The nice restaurant downstairs is "The Harbor." It was great when I lived there, but last time I was there I was unimpressed with the service and the food. It might have just been a bad day.

Of course, right on the beach by the airport is the Beachside Cafe. Nice atmosphere and decent food. Also close to campus.

If you're into the beachy dinner thing...I'm flexible, so yes, but not always.

You can find lots of places along lower State Street. Most are reasonable and touristy-type cafes.

On the other hand, there are some true gems. Ca Dario, off of Victoria Street, is a wonderful Italian place. There's also a great one in Montecito in the Coast Village, but the name escapes me.

I probably drove by it yesterday while taking my mom to Starbucks. Just find that frontage road (Coast Village Rd?) that goes through downtown Montecito and keep your eyes open.

If you plan on going someplace nice with somebody, take about a 20-30 minute drive and go to Cold Springs Tavern. It's up the 154, and is a nice place for a date.

Never went, but always wanted to go. I heard they have interesting things on the menu (like venison...well not really that unusual).

Finally, if looking for drunken debauchery with a bunch of college kids, go to Isla Vista. Woodstock's has great pizza, Freebird's World Burrito is religion there, and I found myself always enjoying Giovanni's Pizza for pitchers.

Funny..I've never seen a Freebird's outside of IV. In retrospect, their burritos were never the greatest. Go to Tio Alberto's (if it is still there) a 5 min walk away.

I lived in Goleta from 81-93 (growing up) and visit my parents 2x per year (in town at the moment), but have never seen a celeb. People always ask me if I've met any celebs.:S

The Blue Agave 20 E Cota. I like upstairs where there is a fireplace and cozy booths. Usually there is chillout downtempo music. Great drinks... I like a mojito with 42 Below passion fruit vodka. The menu is quite varied and unique. Last night I had the steak Au Poivre which is made in a peppercorn and brandy reduction sauce. They also have mole chicken enchiladas, hamburgers, salmon burgers, or lambburgers, all sorts of vegetarian dishes.

UCSB is out for winter break. IV is kinda like a ghost town I suspect.
"And the sky is blue and righteous in every direction" Survivor Chuck Palahniuk

Thanks for the advice guys.

I went to the original Freebirds the first day in...it was HORRENDOUS. Perhaps it switched owners, or maybe Texas just evolved the burrito. But this one blows! Only one kind of tortilla, none of the same sauce options, SLOPPY serving and rolling. After driving 5 hours from LA up PCH and needing a burrito, I was sorely disappointed.

Tried Cold Springs Tavern...that place rocks. Gorgeous drive to find it...I would love the route on a bike, or something other than a rental car. Had a chili sampler with Wild game chili, green chile chili, and Texas style house chili. The last was funny sorta, cause did not taste much like what we eat here :) BUt all very good. Followed that with a 22oz Island Brewing Company blonde and a buffalo burger. The food and atmosphere at the tavern is awesome.

Also hit the wharf for beers, Brophy Bros for fresh thresher shark, and some burrito place on state street at like 2am on New Years (sadly, they kicked Freebirds ass). Even tried In and Out burger (double double, animal style) which was much more palatable than the other time I ate there.

All in all, Santa Barbara is an awesome place...the rain just sucked. There is a B&B/campground sort of called El Capitan Canyon just north of Goletta that is really cool, I would have like more nights to stay there!
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Yup, in retrospect, I have no clue why Freebirds in IV is so hyped - it is very unimpressive.

El Cap/Refugio - nice places, but can get crowded. Definitely not secrets anymore.

Because the Freebirds here in Texas are just to die for...

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Yup, in retrospect, I have no clue why Freebirds in IV is so hyped - it is very unimpressive.

El Cap/Refugio - nice places, but can get crowded. Definitely not secrets anymore.

Because the Freebirds here in Texas are just to die for...

OK, turn back the clock to my mid-late teens (say, 1990). My reference for burritos is Taco Bell and my mom's bland bean & cottage cheese backed burritos (why the heck did anyone previously mix cottage cheese with refried beans, put in a tortilla, bake it and put it in a recipe?). I hear about Freebirds and think it is a huge improvement (compared to McD's, Carl's is a huge improvement, but as beef goes, still a long way from Filet Mignon or any half-way decent steak for that matter). A few months later, I go to Tio Alberto's and think, "Wow! This is better yet!". Time goes by and I eat burritos and other (Tex)Mex at other establishments. Now, in retrospect, Freebirds may be better than Taco Bell, but c'mon, it is like the Denny's of Burrito places - it may be better than fast food, but it's not going to impress anyone.