SuperGirl

which reserve is better for high wing loadings?

The "what should I do about my reserve repack" thread got me wondering...
Someone stated in there that the Raven -M shouldn't be loaded more than 1.3

Well... is there a reserve that's perfectly fine at a high wing loading? (assuming you're perfectly capable of flying it and you're not knocked unconscious or disabled in any way)

A lot of people like to swoop small canopies nowadays, and get small containers, which obviously can only fit so much in the reserve tray. Even with the smaller pack volume on the Optimum, we're still talking about way too many people out there jumping really tiny rigs and weighing a LOT of pounds. If you are one of those people, which reserve would you pick? Is there any good choice?

Please resist the urge for the smart-ass "you shouldn't downsize" reply... I'm just seeking information, I'm not even downsizing under 1.1 anytime soon.

The following is nothing more than my opinions.

I think that one should chose a reserve with a low wing loading. The closer to 1 to 1 the better.

Reasons,
You just went through a mal or, you are not awake and your cypress just fired.

Senario 1
Having just successfully taking care of a mal you are now under a different canpopy at an altitlude most likeyly lower than you are used to, your heart rate is up and you have to make some sound, quick decisions. Would you rather be under a highly loaded wing or low loaded wing?

Senario 2
Would you rather land under a highly loaded wing or low loaded wing that is not being controlled by you?

I know there are other thoughts but, my reserve is 20 square feet BIGGER than my main, by choice
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Well... is there a reserve that's perfectly fine at a high wing loading? (assuming you're perfectly capable of flying it and you're not knocked unconscious or disabled in any way)

Isn't any canopy perfectly fine at any wing loading? High speed landings rarely hurt a canopy, it's the suspended load that takes the hit.
Owned by Remi #?

I know there are other thoughts but, my reserve is 20 square feet BIGGER than my main, by choice

I agree with your points, but I'm asking something a little different here. I'm talking about people who choose to jump a canopy that's so small that even if their reserve si 20 or 30 sq ft bigger, it's still loaded quite high.
I realize it's ideal to keep your reserve as close to 1:1 as possible, but let's face it, a ton of people out there downsize like crazy.
Say you've got a 200 pound dude who's a very skilled canopy pilot and is really into swooping so he loves his 100 sq ft main. The reserve in his container isn't gonna be that big... there's just no way...Even if you get a 140 reserve in there that's still loaded around 1.4. So, in that case, the question is... does it make a difference what type of reserve you put in there?

Say you've got a 200 pound dude who's a very skilled canopy pilot and is really into swooping so he loves his 100 sq ft main. The reserve in his container isn't gonna be that big... there's just no way...Even if you get a 140 reserve in there that's still loaded around 1.4. So, in that case, the question is... does it make a difference what type of reserve you put in there?

That's the exact thought process that called for PD to design the Optimum, and other low-bulk fabric reserves, so that the 200lb guy will buy a larger reserve that packs into the smaller container area.
I jump a boat and a boat of a reserve at 163, but based on a lot of conversations here on DZ.com and at various DZ's around the world, most seem to want as much nylon over their head as possible (under a reserve) as opposed to less. I'd suggest that container size dictates reserve size as much as anything, when you're dealing with small mains.

I'd suggest that container size dictates reserve size as much as anything, when you're dealing with small mains.

That used to be the case, but manufacturers have really stepped up to the plate in the last 5 years and are offering alot more container combinations for small mains and larger reserves. Kudos to all of them.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well to actually reply to your question i can tell you pd fly pretty well loaded high. I dont have much to compare to as i have one ride under a pd 143, one under a pd 126 and the most recent ride was a 143 optimum. I weight about 195 with out gear so figure 218 with gear. Both 143's were a very comfortable ride that i would gladly do again should the time come. The 126 however was slightly different. Not horrible and i did a stand up landing but it definitely landed me hard. The advice i was given afterwords was to swoop it next time but to me thats not the answer for a reserve and definitely not the answer on that particular ride. Hence the optimum i currently jump. I have seen ARC Smarts landed at relatively high loading before and they seem to come down nice. Hope that helps some.

No, because the platforms which make canopies land nice at high wing loadings make them too unreliable to use as reserves. Some suck less than others though. PD reserves land well, swoop a little, and even have pleasant front riser pressure but they still suffer from being square.

A lot of people like to swoop small canopies nowadays, and get small containers, which obviously can only fit so much in the reserve tray.

Companies have made rigs sized for small mains and reasonable sized reserves for over a decade (Reflex R300 for 150 reserve/97 main). They still do (Jump Shack, Mirage, Sunrise) but most people want something that weighs less than 19 pounds which can be mistaken for a school child's back pack.

Even with the smaller pack volume on the Optimum, we're still talking about way too many people out there jumping really tiny rigs and weighing a LOT of pounds. If you are one of those people, which reserve would you pick? Is there any good choice?

Before I broke myself I jumped a 105 main + 143 reserve (more like 150 square feet measured according to PIA), and would stick with that size or a PD160 even if I got serious about staying current and swooping (which would probably mean an 80 after I downsized my belly).

The moves to cross-braced canopies (a 104 packs up somewhere between a conventional 120 and 135) and sail fabric (an 85 packs like a conventional 135) don't hurt here.

The bigger the better.

This is not a "you shouldn't downsize" reply...This is reality. Most younger jumpers (AKA before- Z-P) do not have much or any experience on f-111 canopies.

Go jump an f-111 as a main....several times and then decide if you would like a much smaller one as your last shot.

Seriously!

To answer your question:

I'd consider loading either PD reserve or the Aerodyne Smart reserve a lot higher than a Tempo, Swift Plus or a Raven. The Tempo, Swift Plus, or original Raven should not be loaded beyond 1:1. The Raven -M can be loaded up to 1.3.

Those are the only reserves I'm familiar with.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

When I ordered my new Vector 3 last year they just came out with the magnetic riser covers. They only offer the magnetic riser covers, and spacer foam on the V-347 and smaller. My R-max 168 is the biggest reserve I could fit in it comfortably, I'd be much happier with a R-max 228. I think most people would pick a bigger reserve if the container manufacturers would let us. My 150 packs pretty snug in this container so at least I'll get to keep my big giant 168 for a long time.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Good points.
First generation square reserves: Swift, Raven, Cricket, etc. should not be loaded much beyond 1:1.

Performance Designs was the first to design a reserve to be loaded more than 1:1 and they did it 19 years ago. Ergo, only buy reserves designed less than 19 years ago: Amigo, Optimum, PR, R-Max, Smart, etc.)
I don't have an exact upper limit for Tempos, but know several people who have loaded them well beyond 1.4 and walked away from landings.

The only reserves I'll jump at higher that 1:1-1.1 are PD-R, PD Optimum, Parachutes de France Techno or previous series (Transfair, Mayday), Aerodyne Smart. I had some bad (well I lived lol) experiences jumping other reserves and a lot of older models are not made to handle wingloads over 1:1. If you do want to jump a small reserve, get a good one ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>A lot of people like to swoop small canopies nowadays, and get
>small containers, which obviously can only fit so much in the reserve tray.

Not always true. I just got a Mirage G4 sized for a 109 main and a 143 reserve. If/when PD comes out with the Optimum 160/176, those would likely fit as well.