hudsonderek

what should I do about this reserve?

If you look up he PIA Procedure for "naughty riggers," the first step is phoning him and giving him a chance to correct his error for free.

Making his errors public is the third or fourth step.

Gentlemen give junior riggers a chance to quietly correct their errors.
From the photos, that does not look dangerous, just ugly.
Hint: most riggers need a dozen or more packs - on a new type of container - before they get graceful.

A. I like this guy, I do think he charged me more than the going rate, but really don't care because he's a friend and I'm glad to pay that.
B. it's not that I feel ripped off, it's that I'm concerned with the safety of the rig. I wanted the opinion of other riggers with experience that had helpful things to say, not the opinions of people who have nothing to contribute to the main topic of this forum.
C. because he packed it it's human nature to be biased about his own work. most people don't want to readily admit they've done something wrong.
D. also human nature is to want validation from others. many people here said approach him, which I did, and luckily he agreed to repack it. I don't like confrontation and left to my own devices would have probably just had someone else repack it, spent another $50 plus gas and time to get to the other rigger (two hours one way for me) just to avoid potentially upsetting the guy who packed it first. due to this forum I got the notion that it's not that upsetting to have someone bring a rig back and ask them ot repack it if you're not happy with it.
E. thank you to all the people with intelligent positive input to this topic. to the others: I guess it's the nature of the forums to get a bunch of irrelevant babble from people with nothing to say.

A. I like this guy, I do think he charged me more than the going rate, but really don't care because he's a friend and I'm glad to pay that.
B. it's not that I feel ripped off, it's that I'm concerned with the safety of the rig. I wanted the opinion of other riggers with experience that had helpful things to say, not the opinions of people who have nothing to contribute to the main topic of this forum.
C. because he packed it it's human nature to be biased about his own work. most people don't want to readily admit they've done something wrong.
D. also human nature is to want validation from others. many people here said approach him, which I did, and luckily he agreed to repack it. I don't like confrontation and left to my own devices would have probably just had someone else repack it, spent another $50 plus gas and time to get to the other rigger (two hours one way for me) just to avoid potentially upsetting the guy who packed it first. due to this forum I got the notion that it's not that upsetting to have someone bring a rig back and ask them ot repack it if you're not happy with it.
E. thank you to all the people with intelligent positive input to this topic. to the others: I guess it's the nature of the forums to get a bunch of irrelevant babble from people with nothing to say.

A. It's great that you are supporting a friend and a new rigger. I don't know what the going rate is in your area, but $60 doesn't seem all that far off.
B. Without unpacking the rig, none of us can vouch for the safety or lack thereof of the actual pack job, we can only see the outside of the rig.
C. It doesn't appear that he did anything wrong, but most new riggers are open to feedback and questions, they are still learning and they know it. If your rigger isn't open to feedback, learning, or questioning himself, no matter how good a friend, do you really want to put your life in the hands of someone who's unwilling to learn or question themselves?
E. Rigging is like any other customer service field... how can we solve a problem or address a concern if you don't bring it to us?
F. Just because you may not like some input doesn't mean it's irrelavent.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

>it's not that I feel ripped off, it's that I'm concerned with the safety
>of the rig.

That's a great attitude to have; that rig is a critical piece of equipment. For that reason, it's best to get it inspected and repacked by a competent rigger. Posting pictures of the outside of the rig on the net and asking for opinions might get you some insight on the cosmetics of the pack job, but most likely will not do a thing to reveal any safety problems with the rig.

>also human nature is to want validation from others. many people here
>said approach him, which I did, and luckily he agreed to repack it.

Cool. Sounds like both of you got something out of it!

I hope the wrinkles come out:( I talked with him (the guy who packed it) today and he agreed to repack it without hesitation. Hopefully he does a better job the second time around.

Glad you talked to your rigger about it and it worked out for you.

Also, be sure to tell him you are more concerned with looking like a damn Cockatoo and those wrinkles better come out! :P

When I got my ticket, I was warned on how most skydivers just give a shit about cosmetics.:S

You think that looks bad, you should see some of the military rigs.:ph34r:

Hint: most riggers need a dozen or more packs - on a new type of container - before they get graceful.

Or they can just learn on Racer's and master bulk distribution on them. Once they make them look good, they can make anything look good.