bullin82

Looking for new helmet

Well im in the market for a helmet. Im fresh from being a student and have seen and heard mixed info on all brands. I want to go full face cause i hate goggles, (dont know why just do). Ive been leaning to a Z1 STI but have mixed feelings on the audible thing not sure if i ever want to use one. I know im being complicated and picky lol. But if anyone out there can get me more honest reviews of what they use and prefer that would be great. i have read all the reviews posted some being helpfull and some are just gripping. Thank you all for takeing the time to read my post here and for any info you can get me.

If you get the regular Z1 (without the external audible mount) you can still put an audible inside the helmet. I love my Oxygn, but i would strongly suggest trying on whatever helmet you're interested in before buying. I chose mine because it was the only one I found with a flip-up visor that fit me well. Sizing varies a lot between and even within manufacturers (I'm an XS, S, or M depending on which helmet) and there can be a lot of difference between fullfaces in visibility, what head shapes they fit best, etc. You really won't be able to tell which will work best for you without trying on a couple.

Edited because I'm dumb and can't spell.

You got to try them on to feel the fit. I really like my Z-1 with an internal audible. Fits great and has great external peripheral vision. Get a motorcycle helmet bag. cheap, and room for additional items like gloves (don't store inside helmet because of the odor) and little things...
Dano

Yes i have read ALL those reviews and found somehelpfull but most not.

Yeah...Doug, just to use your post as a springboard, I personally won't refer anyone to the gear section without a disclaimer these days - it doesn't seem to have been updated since about 2002 sometime. In the helmets section alone, there are at least 5 models that have been out for 2 yrs+ that still don't have a page. (We're talking manufacturers like Bonehead & SkySystems here).

(Not to mention those new-fangled 'wingsuits' that the kids are all crazy about...). :P

To the OP, I fly a Bonehead Mamba and love it. The latch system is simple and secure. It's light as a feather. And it takes a kick to the head pretty darn well. B|:D

It's a tough decision, because it's not inexpensive, and everyone has their favorites. I'd definitely second the others' recommendations about trying one on first. Sizes vary...and some will just feel better.
Signatures are the new black.

And it takes a kick to the head pretty darn well.

Heh. I have footage from Saturday of mine getting kicked hard four or five times in the tunnel turning the same point. I felt fine, I was more worried about my mate's shin. I like my Mamba very much (although I've cut a small section of plastic out around the chin).

I had a Havok for a while (same reason as others here - wanted to wear glasses under it) and it was super comfortable, but I found two things made me eventually get a Mamba instead: one, my glasses fogged up straight away anyway in cold weather (probably more about my glasses than the helmet), and two, the visor system is bulky. I got annoyed banging it on little protrusions and things in cramped planes. Looks cool though.

As people up-thread have said, everyone's head is different. Try lots of helmets on.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Save your money and buy a Protec. $45 vs $300
Suck it up and try some different goggles and spend the rest on the money on something useful like jumps, altimeter,jumps, jumpsuit, jumps, gear, jumps.....
Do you see the pattern here?

I have seen sooooo many people go out and buy the most expensive helmets for no good reason except to look "cool"

Unless you're independently wealthy save your money.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

Keep in mind the type of latch system used as well, and your ability to use it with gloves. IMHO the Z1 is great, but the little button that you have to push to get the visor up with gloves and/or cold fingers can be a challenge. I like the Bonehead Mamba's pressure release system a whole lot better.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

ok on the havok thats the one that the whole face piece flips up instead of just the visor if im thinking right, whats your experience with that? i kinda liked it.

I like mine. My decision was between the Havok and the Freezr Mk2. I looked at both of those due to my glasses being a PITA with goggles.

The negatives about the Freezr were that I needed to use two hands to open the lid while I could use just one for the Havok (left or right). The other was the cost of the replacement lens...$75. I do like how it looks however. Smooth and cool. The Havok has worked fine for me, and I move my head like a chihuahua on crack while under canopy, so I haven't noticed any limitation on my peripheral vision.

I use Cat Crap on my glasses, so fogging isn't much of an issue on most days. The Havok lens has not fogged yet. It has a good anti-fog coating from the factory. I'm not sure how different the Mamba is from the Havok size-wise, but it looks like a good helmet with a good fan base.

YMMV

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)