flyingferret

Paypal accounts for donations - How To?

Has anyone ever setup a paypal account for donations before?

A jumper friend of mine was in a horrible headon accident last night, his wife is due to deliver in two weeks, and they are gonna need some help. So the DZ family is gonna get some money together. I thought that paypal would be the easiest. I have a merchant account, but it looks kinda tacky going to my account, you think?

Any experience setting one up for donations? Surely someone out there has. If so, can you reply or pm me. Thanks.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Seems like you could just do it the same way you set up your personal/merchant account. Create a separate email address for the donation account (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc). It'll probably still have to be associated with a person's name/bank account, but at least it will look like the funds are going to a separate entity. (I haven't done this for donations, but I have done it to collect payments for an event for a club I'm a member of. In fact, for that, all I did was associate the club's email address with my account, so people could send money to the club).

Sorry to hear about your friend. :(
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Call paypal tell them what your wanting to do. Your not the first person to want/need to do this so they can walk you through the RIGHT way to set it up.

Customer Service Center
PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you during the following times:

4:00 AM PST to 10:00 PM PST Monday through Friday
6:00 AM PST to 8:00 PM PST on Saturday and Sunday

Call us at: 402-935-2050 (a U.S. telephone number)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Thanks, called them. Long story short...in order to do a new account you have to link it to a bank account, and you have to have access to that bank account to verify it. Which you must do to accept more than $500. So anyway you cut it, it sounds like it is going into my account.

I am not gonna bother the wife to setup and verify an account right now.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

You may wish to call your bank and see if you can have a second account attached to your main one. That's what I did for the club I was running (though my account was at a credit union, and credit unions are sometimes more flexible on that kind of stuff than banks).

I'm also sure you have taken care of this glitch by calling them, but I have heard horror stories about this kind of thing.

They have been known to lock down these donation accounts because no merchandise is changing hands. One really bad incident ended up with the account owner refunding close to $10,000 because paypal locked the account for fraud, and wouldnt take the excuse of it being for "donations"

Once again, a great system when it works, but man, can it be a pain the butt when somebody gets a wild hair.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!