RyanOBrian

I need a new lineset for a Space 170

I've tryed calling atair with no luck.... can anyone help me out?

Does that mean you called, and nobody answered, or they answered and told you they can't help you with the lineset?

Check with skyworksrigging.com, they should be able to help.

Edit - MEL, in post number 2 is the guy from skyworks rigging. Somehow I managed to miss his post

Call me on Monday..early AM if possible. We can help you.

MEL

Cool I'll give you a call in the morning....

Does that mean you called, and nobody answered, or they answered and told you they can't help you with the lineset?

Check with skyworksrigging.com, they should be able to help.

Edit - MEL, in post number 2 is the guy from skyworks rigging. Somehow I managed to miss his post

I called and no answer

I actually have another question.... The closest canopy to the space they still make is the cobalt. On the atair website they suggest a 24'' PC however I have a 29'' PC I have been having some hard openings lately which actually caused a broken steering line.... I allready know I need a new linset so I'm replacing that.... But do you guys think its worth getting a smaller PC??

I called and no answer

I think he said: 'Call me on Monday'

JerryBaumchen

I think he was describing the phone call to Atair, not to MEL, as he was asked earlier if they couldn't help him, or if he didn't get a hold of anyone.

Is the line set different than the same one for a cobalt 170 Mel?

Yes, they are different!

Cheers,
MEL

Not according to this post: Line specs for Atair mains
The important part:
>>"viper and impulse/alpha/space are to use the newer cobalt line sets."

CobaltDan or masterrigger1, will you comment on this? I would be very interested in whether they are or are not the same because I also have a space 170 and it will need new lines in the near future as well. I was actually going to make a post almost exactly like this one in another few days! Masterrigger1- PM sent

I Love how it flies and it has a super powerful flare, but gotta figure out how to get it to open softer. Not trying to get to far off track, but having my line stows a little tighter seemed to help. Rolling/ tucking the nose did not seem to help and when I rolled the tail very tightly, it open into several linetwists! I've gotta get around to that smaller PC and see how that works. If anyone else has any good info on how to pack this canopy for softer openings, I would love to hear it.

I Love how it flies and it has a super powerful flare, but gotta figure out how to get it to open softer. Not trying to get to far off track, but having my line stows a little tighter seemed to help. Rolling/ tucking the nose did not seem to help and when I rolled the tail very tightly, it open into several linetwists! I've gotta get around to that smaller PC and see how that works. If anyone else has any good info on how to pack this canopy for softer openings, I would love to hear it.

If you need one of those to open softer you made need the h-mod, roq- mod. Both are basically sewing little triangle shaped material into the nose closing up the opening a little. Its a rigger deed, Howard Adams did it in the past then I believe Joe Bennet was doing it taking over for Howard. Roq does it in Europe. The comp cobalt is based on it.

Changing the pc size only effects the initial snatch pull force other things effect the total opening briskness.

Is the line set different than the same one for a cobalt 170 Mel?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, they are different!

Cheers,
MEL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not according to this post: Line specs for Atair mains
The important part:
>>"viper and impulse/alpha/space are to use the newer cobalt line sets."

Cobalt Canopies use direct (non-casscaded) A5 and B5 at the center cell. Also, some smaller Cobalt's are missing the D2 casscades.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Mike & Ryan,

My pilot chute is 24". I was having bad openings. Paid a little more attention to packing technique and problem was solved.

I let the nose hang and do not roll the tail. The 1/2 psycho pack seems to work best. I think that is because it gives another chance to look at the slider and make careful folds with the tail. Make sure the slider stays at the top and does not sneak down while flaking, folding, etc.

BTW - my standard ff speed is about 120 but some of my openings are around 135 mph vertical with no problem

Bill
Space 170
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I let the nose hang and do not roll the tail. The 1/2 psycho pack seems to work best.

Can you please elaborate on the "1/2 psycho pack"? I am familiar with the psycho pack but I don't really know what this means. Although I have never tried psycho packing this canopy.

I thought the purpose of psycho packing was primarily to make it easier to get the canopy into the bag ("psycho bagging", really). I did not think it was supposed to really influence the opening as long as you do everything else right (quarter the slider, clear the stabilizers, etc)

But I have never had a problem getting the canopy into my bag, the different fabric is really easy to pack, I can get a nice clean fold every time. But perhaps by understanding of psycho packing is incomplete.

If anyone else has any good info on how to pack this canopy for softer openings, I would love to hear it.

Have you tried pulling in a full track? :S

Ya know, some things just seem too weird for me to try it. Yes, on Atair's website it says their canopies open best from a track (Source) but that just conflicts with everything I know about body position on deployment and I really have no desire to try it.

The next thing I will do to try and improve my openings will be to get the smaller pilot chute that is recommended. If that does not work, I will be getting an experienced rigger to sew a pocket onto my slider.

The space/ cobalt sure is a strange canopy. I really love how it flies, but there is some funky instructions on how to get it open correctly. I am happy with it, but I will look into a more "normal" canopy that requires less special attention when packing and deploying for my next purchase (in a long time from now).

I let the nose hang and do not roll the tail. The 1/2 psycho pack seems to work best.

Can you please elaborate on the "1/2 psycho pack"?

flake the canopy normally, then rather than putting it down with the nose the facing the floor, put it down with the nose up, you can then open the tail fold, inspect the slider and nose, fold the tail back and fold the canopy to bag width, once this is done flip it back over and fold normally to insert in bag
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

from Atair`s web site:

How should I pack a Cobalt?

Cobalts should be straight pro-packed with the following attentions paid: push the nose to the back, and roll the tail tight. The tail seems to make the biggest difference.

I do it so. It give nice openings.

Well I called Atiar and they said To get in contact w/ Pete Swan a rigger in Lodi.. They said I could call Mel to but he's busy with a "project" No awnser from pete or mel. Left messages.

I am in the shop right now though!
....and your line set goes out today....

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com