McDuck

Cell-Phone Article

Finally, an article that explains what many of us have been thinking for a while regarding cell phone use. It's too bad that most of the people guilty of this will never read it. :S
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Y'know, in a way I disagree.

I'm all for what happened at the coffee shop. And I'm all for quashing rudeness.

But if two people were standing in a line, sitting in the restaurant, doing whatever, having a conversation with each other, no one would blink.

And I think that's the criteria that should be used. Behave as if you're talking to a real person.

I don't care if you go through the checkout line talking on your cell phone. If you had a companion in line, you'd be talking to each other. But when you get to the cashier, both of you would turn your attention to the job at hand.

That's what I want to see with cell phones. No more, no less.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Exactly. And I agree with the correlation between standing in line with a friend and talking on a phone, although there are times when two people talking in line at volumes meant to summon children from the far corners of a playground can be no less annoying and deserving of irritated scorn.

Common courtesy seems to be slipping further by the wayside, and I don't necessarily believe that technology is solely to blame.
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

I am as you would say "attached" to my cell phone from 8am until 5pm usually. I am an IT professional who is always on the move. I do have to be in public situations like eating lunch or at the post office or even at Wal-Mart. I am on call from these hours. I have to answer the phone no matter where I am at. I do not see where I am seen as an arrigant ass who can't stay off the cell phone. My clients pay for this and I would not have a job anymore if I just stopped answering calls when I am in public places. Just my 2 cents.

Blue Skies,
Jeremy

But I'll bet you aren't staring other professionals (in their own fields) in the face and talking as loudly as possible into your phone, so that everyone within an 85-foot radius can hear you.

I'm all for what happened at the coffee shop. And I'm all for quashing rudeness.

But if two people were standing in a line, sitting in the restaurant, doing whatever, having a conversation with each other, no one would blink.

And I think that's the criteria that should be used. Behave as if you're talking to a real person.

I don't care if you go through the checkout line talking on your cell phone. If you had a companion in line, you'd be talking to each other. But when you get to the cashier, both of you would turn your attention to the job at hand.

rl

I was going to write this, but you already did.

Thanks. :)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I agree. To fix that problem, I have designed a cell phone that projects a holographic image of a gorgeous man/woman (selectable) in front of you as you speak.

But stop using cell phones in a grocery store? Forget it. Never gonna happen. If it wasn't for the cell phone I'd come home with the wrong items 9 times out of 10. When you get up to the checkout line, though, I think it's courtesy to the clerk to end the call--if even for only a couple minutes.

pope

rl

Agreed. When I get up to a cashier, I tell whoever I'm on the phone with that I'll call them back (usually) or that I'm putting the phone down (occasionally). In either case, the phone goes away from my ear and whoever I'm dealing with gets my attention.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

And that's the main gist of what that article was getting at: you have respect for the people around you, enough so to give them your attention when warranted.