gmittar

My Bengal Kitty

That cat would look better with a racing stripe, maybe a hood-scoop... :P

Naw, really, that thing is built for speed, man!

Very pretty! :)
-

They've actually got two more vertebrae than domestic cats that they inherit from their wild ancester, the Asian Leapord Cat (small member of the leapord family). They're 12.5% wild usually.

So the speed thing makes sense, and I hear this girl is really fast!

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

I'll never pay more than an animal shelter charges for a kitten, cat, dog, etc.

I don't believe in paying breeders when there are so many animals in wire cages waiting for someone to love them.

That's how I got my cat, Feather. It's how we got Baby, Dorian, CC, Paisley, Storm, all the cats my family's ever had.

We got my girlfriend's cat, Wee Belle, by taking her off the street. She has a gimpy front right leg, but she's an adorable skinny Siamese mutt. :)
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Her face is gorgeous, and her rosettes are just perfect. A great bengal speciman, aside from her kink.

Be very aware that the energy these little buggers have is enormous. Have lots of chase toys (not other cats...) available for them, and places to climb. Cat trees have saved many owners' irreplaceable items in the bookshelves by giving the cat a place to climb, lurk, and leap from.

You already know how fast they can be; so be very careful when opening/closing doors, cabinets, and laundry facilities...they can get into more trouble than your average kitten, both because of size as well as speed. You likely already know that they love water (the photo you included shows that), and so it's likely you will have a shower buddy unless you train her early.

And if you don't plan on breeding her (please don't for several reasons), get her fixed ASAP. Most vets will do either subsidized and/or low cost...that way, if she DOES get out, she won't come back with a bunch of babies in her belly.

Again, have lots of toys that are interactive and moveable - turbo racers, bouncies, door hanger toys...a cat tree...and lots and lots of wrestling (appropriately, of course; no teeth, and only light claws...). You'll have a great relationship with her.

Any questions, don't hesitate to pm me. I'll help if I can, and should I not have a good answer, I'll get one from you from one of my vets or friends in rescue like me.

And CONGRATULATIONS!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

And if you don't plan on breeding her (please don't for several reasons), get her fixed ASAP. Most vets will do either subsidized and/or low cost...that way, if she DOES get out, she won't come back with a bunch of babies in her belly uterus.

There -- fixed it for ya! :P

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Thats a beautiful cat.

New Years Eve I heard a meowing on my street. I looked down a storm water drain to see a little smokey kitten looking up at me. After some work with a crow bar and jimmy bar we got the cover of the storm water drain and rescued the kitten. Unfortunately my cat wouldn't let me keep it, but we took it to the RSCPA and she found a home very quickly.

Her face is gorgeous, and her rosettes are just perfect. A great bengal speciman, aside from her kink.

Be very aware that the energy these little buggers have is enormous. Have lots of chase toys (not other cats...) available for them, and places to climb. Cat trees have saved many owners' irreplaceable items in the bookshelves by giving the cat a place to climb, lurk, and leap from.

You already know how fast they can be; so be very careful when opening/closing doors, cabinets, and laundry facilities...they can get into more trouble than your average kitten, both because of size as well as speed. You likely already know that they love water (the photo you included shows that), and so it's likely you will have a shower buddy unless you train her early.

And if you don't plan on breeding her (please don't for several reasons), get her fixed ASAP. Most vets will do either subsidized and/or low cost...that way, if she DOES get out, she won't come back with a bunch of babies in her belly.

Again, have lots of toys that are interactive and moveable - turbo racers, bouncies, door hanger toys...a cat tree...and lots and lots of wrestling (appropriately, of course; no teeth, and only light claws...). You'll have a great relationship with her.

Any questions, don't hesitate to pm me. I'll help if I can, and should I not have a good answer, I'll get one from you from one of my vets or friends in rescue like me.

And CONGRATULATIONS!

Ciels-
Michele

Wow Michele, you've got some experience, I can tell! It's actually in the purchase contract that I have her altered by 6 months of age, and is required before papers are released. I'm also a personal fan of altering pets, there's way too many strays running around due to not altering.

I'll keep you in mind for advice. What do you mean by turbo racers? Like remote controlled cars? That's a great idea really. I'm going to be shopping for toys today as well as other necessities for cats so I'll check out an rc car. Maybe a lazer pointer too for the walls.

Jeffrey:
I agree with the adopt over purchase ethic, to an extent. The problem I've had my whole life with cats is that even if I love them, and can tell that they love me, they're distant, and aloof. Everything I hear about Bengals sounds like they are just the opposite, and they're so damn good looking!

This cat is going to be my campanion for the next 10 to 15 years, I want to make sure it's one that I really want.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

I'll keep you in mind for advice. What do you mean by turbo racers? Like remote controlled cars? That's a great idea really. I'm going to be shopping for toys today as well as other necessities for cats so I'll check out an rc car. Maybe a lazer pointer too for the walls.

A turbo racer is a simple plastic thing which is circular, with a golfball sized ball in it that cats cannot get out. They push it, it goes round, and round, and round. They will attack it, play with it, puzzle it through; it's a very good toy for them because it makes them think, plan, and be proactive with it. The kind I have also has a scratcher (cardboard) center, so they can flop and pounce and grapple that, too. It's not a remote control toy; I've found that the noise can scare a cat if not introduced properly, and then the price is wasted (unless you play with it). Also, be very careful of laser pointers. They can damage the cat's eyes, and you can't always anticipate when they'll turn and look at you and accidentally get a laser in the eye. And don't bother with catnip toys until she is about 9 months old...a reaction to catnip is a genetic thing which will take place in just about 75% of cats, but only once they've reached sexual maturity (which is NOT the first time they come into heat...but usually by 9 months to one year). So don't waste $$ on catnip toys right away. And I also use catnip as a corrective, positive re-inforcement measure for them when I'm teaching them something, or am working to prevent some behavior, so toys with catnip in them can interfere with that sort of technique.

Yes, I have lots of experience with cats; I rescue and rehome them on a regular basis, and have 6 of my own.

A note to your concerns about aloof and independent cats. All of my cats have started their lives with me coming from a trauma of some sort. One of the things I've learned is that lots of patience, some careful positive reassurance (with treats), and lots of me headbutting them (meaning I get onto the floor and let them come to me, then nudge my head on them...it's catspeak for safety and comfort...it's what they do with each other, and the scwent glands in their cheeks are "safe zone" markers...) tends to make them more comfortable with me as the "big, scary monster" that they might've experienced, and allow them to realize I'm all right, and that they will be safe with me.

With the exception of one (Penguin), all of my cats are cuddlers and lovers. While they all have their own ways of doing it, most often of a night I've got at least three cats on the bed with me, and during the evening, all six are in the same room with me, often within several feet of my feet. Bringing out the cuddler that lurks within all cats can be done; it just takes the right technique for that cat, patience, and treats...

Thanks for getting her fixed...I am sure that she will appreciate it, as heat cycles are both painful and frustrating for the female cat to experience (not to mention it's enormously irritating for the human in the house...).

Again, should you have questions, or just want to discuss techniques, you are welcome to contact me (and that's with anyone here reading this).

And btw, if you take good care of her, she will last longer than 10-15 years; I have not had a cat pass before 17 years old, and two who've lasted into their 20's. Good food, lots of love, and good, proactive vet care is the key. But mostly love.

(And Peej, the way I wrote it was anatomically incorrect, I know; however, the repeating "b's" made the sentence work...).

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~