ntrprnr

My anorexic cat

My cat is Kate Moss.

Feed her, and on average, twice a week, she pukes it back up. Vet says it's normal.

If she starts blowing lines with a credit card on the couch, I'm really going to get nervous. Or maybe sign her to Elite Model Management... One of the two...

That is her way of telling you the food you are feeding her is CRAP!!!

It's all CRAP!!!!

Just kidding. My cat does the same thing, but only because she inhales the stuff. If she eats to fast it comes back up. If not it stays down. Have no idea what makes her eat so fast other times.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Exactly - Karma eats like it's going out of style, too fast, and pukes it back up. NASA, her brother (the one in my icon) takes his time, and only pukes if he chews on plastic bags.

Stupid cats.

She looks just like my "fat cat" when he was less than a year old--sam markings. But, now he's huge and super-soft and very fluffy.

He still gets sick to his belly, but not like he used to. We have him on a combo of indoor formula and hairball controll. Mostly, we've discovered, it's from hairballs. We also give him this tuna-flavored gel called Laxatone every other day. He loves it.

Since we started him on the above regime, he only gets sick once every third week or so. He's always LOVED meal-time so that's not a problem.

Maybe try different food?:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

My cat does the same thing, except sometimes more frequently... i thought it was people always telling her she was fat.... so she puked it back up to stay thin.

HOWEVER....she's an inside kitty so i never take her to the vet. Well i did. She has Hyper Thyroid Disease, which fucks up her metabolism and makes it so she pukes and loses weight. I have to give her meds 2x daily and if that doesn't work she needs surgery to remove her thyroids!! So don't think this isn't an issue if it happens weekly. Go get some blood work done if you love you kitty.

You just have to give the cats small portions of food at a time. However, our long-haired cat will cough up a hairball mixed in with recently downed cat chow. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One of mine, Charlotte, long hair black cat, does the same thing. And on a regular basis, as well. She will, for whatever cat reason she has, bypass the food in the dish, but when it's replenished, she'll wolf it down like there's not going to be another meal. She only does this sometimes, and when she does, she brings it all back up - unchewed. Eyychhhh. Then she'll go and get more. The second round she chews, though.

Yes, it can be an indication of an illness. No, it is not usually an indication of an illness.

Someone above mentioned Laxatone, which is a wonderful supplement that all my cats get on a regular basis. It helps them with processing (read 'shitting') out the hairballs which can block the belly and prevent digestion, and will help them with overall intestinal health.

I wouldn't worry too much unless it becomes an on-going (daily) thing, or she's gacking so hard she falls over *(happens to one of my other cats...). Then yes, take her back to the vet, get a CBC and a worm check, and go from there.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I had a cat that did that as well- ate til she puked. I took her in as a stray, and my male cats never liked or accepted her. I assume she either remembered being hungry or she was scared of my boys (maybe a little of both). When she got to the food bowl, she would just go to town. She did it even after I gave her to my mom, where she lived a life of relative luxury in a one cat household.

And my longhaired male cat has made hacking up hairballs into an artform. He's been known to get up on top of a book shelf and puke over the side, getting everything in its path. His 5:00am hacking is better than any alarm clock, and he has a unique ability to leave his "gift" where he's sure it will be stepped on. But he's been my best friend and companion for almost 17 years, so I have to put up with it!:P

As cats age, they do tend to puke more. In my experience, there are three things you can do to reduce the frequency, greatly:

1. Feed a high quality canned cat food. The moist food is easier and more natural to digest.

2. Vary the brands and types of food you feed at least weekly. Recent studies show the variety may improve nutritional retention in cats.

3. Add a high quality digestive enzyme to the cat food. I use Solid Gold D-Zymes, available at:
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showcat.php?cat=3

NEVER leave your cat unattended with a credit card and a mouse. You never know what she'll order. ;)

NOOO! Oh my! You people have noooo idea how much you have stressed me!

I am a first time cat owner. You know the old story - young cat wandered up and refused to leave (because it was feasting out of the dog bowl and local birds).

So all this vomiting, hairball whatever stuff is what I have to look forward to?[:/]

On the bright side, most cats are meticulous in their bathroom habits and pretty low maintenance as far as pets go. Plus, they make great companions; they are smart and fun with unique personalities. To me, that and so much more outweighs the hacking.

On the bright side, most cats are meticulous in their bathroom habits and pretty low maintenance as far as pets go. Plus, they make great companions; they are smart and fun with unique personalities. To me, that and so much more outweighs the hacking.

And of course there's the other side...
Our monster-from-hell would sidle up to you, rub on you and let you pet her....for about 10 seconds and then WHAM! All Claws and Teeth.
We finally were able to recognize "the look" that she gave prior to the attack and after that we lost a lot less blood and suffered far fewer scars.>:(
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So all this vomiting, hairball whatever stuff is what I have to look forward to?

No. What you have to look forward to is many years of purring, cuddling, loving and amazing friendship from a feline fuzzbutt. The hairballs and gacking is simply something one learns to overlook, and treat if necessary, but a small price to pay for a warm bundle of love laying in your lap while you're postwhoring.

And thank you for bringing this furry critter into your home. It makes a difference.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. As always, if I don't know the answer, I'll find it out (usually ask one of my vets that I know well from my rescue/rehomeing efforts.)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~