ccowden

I just don't understand people sometimes.

Normal resting heart rate is between 60 and 80 beats per minute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate#Resting_Heart_Rate_.28RHR.2C_HRrest.29

Around 60 bpm is generally considered the normal rate for those who exercise regularly and have no physical abnormalities.

I smoke, but my resting heart rate is still quite low (60 or less) because of my thyroid problem. A low resting heart rate is not always good.

rl

If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

but probably don't do much cardio exercise.

see i have read that before, I work out 3 times a week and do 10 mins of cardio at each work out plus i run my ass off at work. and to top it off i am right at what my weight should be to my height. oh well.
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

Who cares what this guy says/does? He's not shoving the protein shake or whatever crap he eats during the day down your throat or blowing his second hand smoke directly into your lungs.

I used to be in Dunkin' Donuts behind the fattest cows in the world porking down the donuts and want to smack them upside the head and ask if they really needed that. Until it dawned on me that I was at one time 90 lbs heavier than now and my plan was be good all week and eat what I wanted to on Sundays. My Sunday treat to self was 2 chocolate cream filled donuts for my Sunday brunch meal.

Everyone has different thought processes and motivations. Many fat people are in denial... I sure was for many years. The excuses that went through my head are unbelievable and looking back at old pictures I wonder why I didn't shape up sooner.

Oh, I work out (cardio) 5 days a week for an hour, plus weights for 1/2 hr 3-4 days a week. I never smoked and eat very healthily. My resting heart rate is 78. I weigh 135 and am 5'3". I can't imagine that my heart rate alone makes me unhealthy or out of shape. I may not be the fastest or strongest girl in the world, but I can hike all day or pack all day without being either sore or tired.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I was getting worried about the heart rate stuff. Mine's about 72, and I either work out or run about 1/2 hour about 5 days a week. Not awesome, but last year I did the Inca Trail hike with no bad effects and almost no whining.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm one to think pot is healthy and running is dangerous.

More importantly, running is boring.

Like hell it is. I run 3x/week, and do some of my clearest and deepest thinking during my runs. Don't use headphones or anything, either. Keeps me quite entertained. Maybe it's just your own thoughts that are boring you. :P

Totally agree. I look forward t my runs very much as a time to be "alone" and think and feel good. I am almost never bored. It all comes down to attitude. If you look at running as exercise that you HAVE to do, rather than an activity that is enjoyable for many reasons other than just exersice, then it is very easy to become bored with it.

Do like shopping? Or is that just a matter of attitude?

I run because it's very effective for me, and fits my schedule and habits. I like the way I feel after it. I get no thinking whatsoever done while I'm running, I reach no pinnacles of nirvana.

I can totally understand people who say that running sucks. But, well, they don't suck as much as being fat and out of shape.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Nope, I second that. Running sucks. :ph34r:

I run...

...when being chased by knife-wielding psychos and wild packs of family dogs, but other than that, I avoid it like the plague. :|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I find maintaining a good running schedule hard when I dont have someone to run with. I enjoy running WAY more when I am with someone.

Right now it is cold outside so running just sucks no matter how you slice it. I can't wait for the warmer weather again.
Derec Davies
Big_Red

Totally agree. I look forward t my runs very much as a time to be "alone" and think and feel good. I am almost never bored. It all comes down to attitude. If you look at running as exercise that you HAVE to do, rather than an activity that is enjoyable for many reasons other than just exersice, then it is very easy to become bored with it.

But you actually have to find running enjoyable... You could tell me to look at pulling teeth as being enjoyable. Even if I did, that doesn't mean I'd enjoy it.

My point is really being missed here. Guess I should have worded it better.

My point is, if you go into running thinking how bad it is going to suck and how much you hate it, you will have no chance of making it halfway enjoyable. No, I doubt you are ever going to find pulling teeth as enjoyable, and I think that is a little bit of a stretch for analogy, but you can have two attitudes about it. You can dread it and worry about it and work yourself up about how much it is going to suck, or you can go in thinking it is going to be good for you and it is only a very small part of your day to get through to make yourself feel better and go in with a completely different attitude to make getting your teeth pulled not such a dramatic event. Having the right attitude will help ANY situation. Even getting teeth pulled.

I know that not everyone enjoys running. I am just saying you can help your cause by trying to have a different approach to it mentally. That's all.

I find I do better with activities. Im not much of a go for a jog runner, as the time seems to trickle by. But I'll play soccer for 2 hours running hard the whole time and its over just like that and I want to keep playing. different activities for different people i guess. I keep in shape, through the gym, and soccer, basketball, mountainbiking, snowboarding etc etc that kind of stuff.

I knew one co-worker like that too. Maybe 50 lbs overweight. Would get a salad or some lite lunch and kept saying how healthy it was, but we all knew he was scarfing the fatty stuff at home. :S

He's the same fat dude that never washes his hands after using the bathroom. I had to resort to using my foot to push open the door when leaving the bathroom. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

He's the same fat dude that never washes his hands after using the bathroom. I had to resort to using my foot to push open the door when leaving the bathroom. Unimpressed

You wouldn't belive how many people i work with that do that. I have the worst phobia about going to the restroom at work. :(
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

He's thinking, like many people who are overweight, that there is some "magic bullet" that will help him. I know, been there, done that, got the size 3X t-shirt. I knew all along that the only thing that was going to change my situation was changing behavior. Your coworker either hasn't figured that out yet or he's in denial or some overzealous fitness "expert" has told him this is the cure-all for his problems.

Whatever. You've found what works for you to get and stay healthy. He either will or he won't.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Would get a salad or some lite lunch and kept saying how healthy it was, but we all knew he was scarfing the fatty stuff at home.

Classic behavior of someone with an eating disorder. When I was in the worst of my compulsive overeating period, I'd do whatever I could to keep anyone else from knowing how I really ate. I didn't necessarily always pretend to eat "super-healthy" when I was around others, but no one ever saw the worst of it (and it was bad).

He's the same fat dude that never washes his hands after using the bathroom.

That has nothing to do with the fact that he's fat. That has to do with the fact that he's unhygenic.

I had my fire department physical today. Durring my EKG it showed my resting heart rate of 48. Thing is a couple of years ago while I was still working on the road my resting heart rate was way too high. I was eating too much shit McD' Wendys whatever we could grab between calls. I am still overweight according to those stupid height/weight charts, but they don't measure your lean body mass. I am trying to run more, but sometimes I just don't have the motivation. I sometimes partake in protien shakes, but only when I working out in one way or another. When I was riding my bike back and forth to work about a 20 mile round trip I would eat a whole wheat English muffin with natural peanutbutter, and reduced suger marmalade (they don't use corn syrope in that) and I would drink a chocolate whey protien drink mixed with 1% milk. It was good. I need to get my bike back on the road, and maybe buy some winter riding gear.
Sometimes the local PD would have those your speed is signs, and it would actually be able to pick me up. I think the fastest I got up to was 17 mph.
Marmalade rocks
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192