sid

New L & B Optima

What an awesome audible! This thing has multiple banks of settings.... I tried it out yesterday and had it set for tandems and solo jumping, you just switch warning banks and off you go.... a nice feature is the Lo-Speed settings which I guess were designed for swoopers but work really well for tandems too.

I had the first Lo-speed beep set for 1000 ft and it's a nice little reminder to start getting serious about the landing. AND as the riser slapped it off the side of my helmet on a hard opening it looked really elegant as it flew by the canopy :S but trust me, for the 4 jumps that I actually got to use it - it was awesome......
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Sid,
L&B sent is some optima's to try out at recent Deaf record jumps last October in Florida these had the LED and LCD visual alerts. They are perfect for us deafies and hearing people too. Nice. I been wanting to buy one but the LCD / LED are not avaliable yet. and some of gear store people think 'm talking about green chesse on moon when I call ask about it. they say nope don't make those...
guess I'll have to email Mads to get one soon?

Mike

I agree with you totally. I just got to finally test mine out yesterday as I received one for xmas. It's my first audible and I think I'm spoiled. Like you said just switch to whatever bank you want to use and off you go. I had my canopy settings at 1000, 500 and 300, set up, final approach, no more big turns. Worked like a charm for 3 jumps. Couldn't be happier. I had some trouble figuring out how to turn the thing off for awhile though.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I had some trouble figuring out how to turn the thing off for awhile though.

Oh that's easy, just get a riser to slap it off your head:P
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

:)of your sad plight[:/]:(........;);)
Surely ,, they'll send you another..B|B|B|
ps. hey sid,,,
whaddaya mean ??!! "hard opening" ???
you're not supposed to have those.....:|:)

I was amazed too Jimmy. I was jumping Tim Eason's Firebolt 396, and had already had 2 great, soft, snivelly openings...... then BAM! knocked me (even more) senseless.........
Pete Draper,

Just an afterthought...... if you get an Optima (and you should) it comes with some "string" to tie it onto the helmet. I was a little worried about the strength of this, but when the tandem riser slapped the audible, it sheared it (the Optima) in 2 and left the base firmly tied to the helmet. Now that's some tough shit right there ;)
Pete Draper,

Um that looks like it would be a SERIOUS Snag point :S

funny... I thought it looked like a droopy white penis hanging over the helmet (pun intended) - seriously - that's ugly and overkill
Pete Draper,

Um that looks like it would be a SERIOUS Snag point :S

I suppose that's probably why it's attached to the helmet with Velcro. Although that could get very expensive if you're prone to 'interesting' openings, but better your new toy, than your old head.
With the unit being mostly in front of your face, it would be interesting to find out just how many would be lost. I've been hit in the back of the head, and once in the chin (bag-dump B| ), but never on the top of my head, or on the face above the nose.

I'm really looking forward to when these hit the market, its an awesome concept!
I'm sure there will be initial issues to overcome (as with any brand new idea-turned-product), but imagine having your altitude right in front of your face at ALL times, without having to move a single limb to see an altimeter, or break eye-contact with your group to check altitude.

plus, it looks like a really sweet toy ;).

Um that looks like it would be a SERIOUS Snag point

Less serious than a camera mounted on the top or side of a helmet. Plus as it was mentioned, Velcro is used to attach it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Plus as it was mentioned, Velcro is used to attach it.

So this is an interesting point. It's tempting to think that if it's only Velcro, it would get ripped off in an entanglement (and thereby reduce the risk of a malfunction).

My experience with Velcro is that it's amazingly strong, and the bond gets even stronger in a vibrational environment (I've mounted engine-monitoring equipment with Velcro, and I swear that it was virtually impossible to disconnect it after the tests). It makes me think that I'm probably wrong, and that there's a chance the Velcro would not disconnect in an entanglement.

What do you all think? This should probably be a separate thread :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

What do you all think? This should probably be a separate thread :)

nah - keep it running, I'm just hoping someone from L & B will read it and send me a replacement:)
Pete Draper,