skydiverbrian

Brokeback Mountain - 8 Oscar nods

Interesting that the studio pushed for Gyllenhall in the "Supporting" Category and Ledger in the "Actor" category. Maybe hoping both can win rather than splitting the vote. I do think Ledger had the stronger performance, but the roles were certainly of equal size and weight.

Either way, glad this movie got the recognition it deserved (not that I'm at all surprised!).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Why is everyone so glad this movie is getting recognition? Is there something special about it? Personally, I don't see it.

It's a very well-crafted film. See the "Brokeback Mountain" thread in Bonfire (as opposed to the one in SC, which doesn't discuss the film at all:S) for some thoughts on it.

Personally, if I were voting I'd give awards to Heath Ledger and for the cinematography. I'd give best picture to Crash.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I just didn't see anything THAT well-crafted or amazing about it. I mean I understand the social signifigance of the homosexual issue and that the movie uses this as a way to call attention to it, but to me, it seems that it is getting WAY too much recognition for everything under the sun in filmmaking and acting simply because of that issue. I applaud the effort of the director to break ground in new ways, but shouldn't a movie be awarded for being a movie and not simply what it is about?

Personally, I think if this was the same movie about a heterosexual couple, the acting, directing, filmmaking, and producing would not have received a third of these nominations even if they were all the same quality.

I just didn't see anything THAT well-crafted or amazing about it. I mean I understand the social signifigance of the homosexual issue and that the movie uses this as a way to call attention to it, but to me, it seems that it is getting WAY too much recognition for everything under the sun in filmmaking and acting simply because of that issue. I applaud the effort of the director to break ground in new ways, but shouldn't a movie be awarded for being a movie and not simply what it is about?

Personally, I think if this was the same movie about a heterosexual couple, the acting, directing, filmmaking, and producing would not have received a third of these nominations even if they were all the same quality.

Well said Chris, I totally agree with you.B|

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Is there something special about it?

The movie just reconfirms the fact that cowboys are gay. B|

It's not often that I get a good spurt of hot tea to actually spurt out onto my computer screen but for some reason this was one of those times.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

So, in other words, the awards are not necessarily awarded to the BEST, but instead, the BEST hyped. That is what I am seeing. Which, for me, sure tarnishes the Oscars as a whole.

Come on! You don't actually go out and look at a video to see if it won an Oscar before you rent it do you?

Awe, that's so cute!

--------------

I just didn't see anything THAT well-crafted or amazing about it.

Have you watched it?

While I haven't, a friend who has no agenda said it was really really good, and well worth watching. A movie about a woman having to choose between her loveless marriage to one man, and her passion for another (or a man having to choose between his loveless marriage to one woman and his passion for another) could also be wonderful explorations of emotions and decisions, and what they do to our lives.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So, in other words, the awards are not necessarily awarded to the BEST, but instead, the BEST hyped. That is what I am seeing. Which, for me, sure tarnishes the Oscars as a whole.

It's been that way for years. This year is no different. Studios engage in very highly-planned marketing campaigns to ensure that their movies are considered by the academy voters. It's a political process, like anything else.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Like any other "award" that involves voting and judges, it's gonna be subjective, and it can be (and has been) politicized and corporatized.

Come on! You don't actually go out and look at a video to see if it won an Oscar before you rent it do you?

Awe, that's so cute!

I don't get it.

It's been that way for years. This year is no different. Studios engage in very highly-planned marketing campaigns to ensure that their movies are considered by the academy voters. It's a political process, like anything else.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Like any other "award" that involves voting and judges, it's gonna be subjective, and it can be (and has been) politicized and corporatized.

Hey hey hey now! You take this shit to speakers corner right now or I swear I'll start posting pictures of really hairy women in thongs.

--------------

Awe, that's so cute!

I don't get it.

I just mean that I've never agreed with the Oscars. It's all this phoney hollyweird crap.

That's all.

--------------

Yes I have.

And I agree with....

"A movie about a woman having to choose between her loveless marriage to one man, and her passion for another (or a man having to choose between his loveless marriage to one woman and his passion for another) could also be wonderful explorations of emotions and decisions, and what they do to our lives."

...but I doubt if the movie was the exact same caliber as Brokeback Mountain, it would get 8 Oscar nominations.

Awe, that's so cute!

I don't get it.

I just mean that I've never agreed with the Oscars. It's all this phoney hollyweird crap.

That's all.

I couldn't agree more. It just pisses me off that there are so many movies and directors out there that make movies that are WAY better than this one who get no recognition at all. But I guess it is that way in everything that has to do with money and politics.

It's Hollywood. A place where the foundation is shallow, friends stab you in the back, and you create award shows just to give yourself an award. You wanted substance?

If you have pay-for-tv, turn on the Sundance Channel. You can find plenty of good movies there that address social topics without the hype. Hell, even the Lifetime network adresses topics like this on their made for tv films.

There is plenty of hype that has been created about Brokeback - but the same machine is generating the same line of BS about Geisha, Munich, etc. It's all the same. The topic of Brokeback is a social hotpoint right now, so it floats to the top of the psuedo-news.

There are only two movies in the Oscar line up I would take any time to see: Good Night and Good Luck, and Crash. I would possibly consider Brokeback just because Ang Lee is generally a fantastic director that loves the art of filmaking. However, I lost resepect for him when he choose to lens the Hulk movie. He continues the trend from that movie to pick pretty faces that just can't act. Therefore, I'm not going to waste my time with anymore of his films.
(heh - now that I think about it, I did go see Underwolrd just to see whats her name in leather....ok, don't listen to me :ph34r:)

I don't think that's true, or we'd see an awful lot of awards going to the "War of the Worlds" and other massively hyped movies. The thing is though, fodder doesn't win Oscars. Script writing, acting, cinematorgraphy, etc wins awards. From what I've heard, Brokeback Mountain does have the elements of a movie that affect people very strongly. Of course it has controversial subject matter, that's one of those elements. If the same director made a movie about "A day in the life of Chris", and just followed you from wake-up till going to sleep, it probably wouldn't get a lot of awards. It's not because people wouldn't see it, and it wouldn't be due to a lack of hype, it'd be because we all have day to day lives and in the grand scheme of things, they're just not all that interesting outside of our own circles. This movie on the other hand supposedly exposes us to things well outside of the norm, and then entertains us with those things. Given that the very purpose of these films is entertainment, it makes sense that intriguing subject matter would help garner awards...and if the stars of the movie were heterosexual, it wouldn't be as "outside the norm", and thus not as entertaining.

Or at least that's what popped into my head without giving it more than 10 seconds thought. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't think that's true, or we'd see an awful lot of awards going to the "War of the Worlds" and other massively hyped movies.

Well, Tom Cruise got nominated for a Razzie for his role in that movie. I hope he wins. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon