GARYC24

Quitting 1st day on the job?

We test tools, inventions, etc, and basically ALL kinds of stuff.
Really, it could a plastic cup, then next is a 400 pc tool set, or have to bulid a greenhouse, sometimes even a go-cart!
Then take all kinds of measurement..
It's a really versatille job.

I did the same thing once while I was still in college. Took a "Sales" Job. Turned out to be telemarketing Scam. I was told it was to raise money for a Non-Profit Organazation. Took the Job, Get there and they have Phone Books for every Major City in the country and a Telephone at each desk. The scam was to call Small Business and tell them we were from the "Just Say No" foundation and for a Donation $150 we would distribute 1000 Pencils with their Business Name and "Just say No to drugs" in local schools. The sales person would get $75 per sale. Five to ten sales a day was the average.
I went through about 2 Hours Training.. Made one Call.. went out for a Smoke, Got in my car and left.

Decided I wasnt that Hungry and Hopefully never would be.

I've done that twice in my life actually, both when I was a younger teenager.

The first time was a job at McDonalds. I needed a summer job and could not find one at all, except there. So I sucked it up and went in. It was so hot and disgusting making chicken nuggets. It was about 110 degrees in the kitchen, and you weren't even allowed a break to have water. Oh, and I was grossed out by the guys who were NO JOKE, spitting in the fry grease. I quit 1/2 way through my 8 hour shift.

The second time I was about 17 and went to work at this little tiny sandwich/ice cream shop that a friend of the family ownded. I quit after working one day and being treated so horribly by all the regular customers. They didn't like the fact that I didn't know who they were and exactly what they wanted, so they would yell at me. Didn't float my boat.

Had that happen once when I worked for a large doctor's office. The front desk girl said she was going to the bathroom, she took her purse and never came back..

I thought it was funny because I wish I could have done the same thing..
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

A good friend of mine when I was younger took a job as a lot attendant at a pay-for-parking lot. His first night on the job it was raining, and after two hours he said "screw this" and walked home. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My Dept. interviewed a guy last week.
Gave him the walk-thru, he accepts job.
Started @7:00am, break at 10:00 and never came back! WOW!
I guess he changed his mind about a $10 hr start job went back to un-employement check??hahah

10$ an hour is a waste of time.;)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I precipitated a first-day quit once! Several years ago I was working for Bechtel as a mech. engr. I had been with the project for a few years doing conceptual design, establishing criteria, etc. The project was rapidly staffing up for detailed design, and new people were showing up every day.

A designer/draftsman I had worked with ~10 years before on a previous attempt at the project for Westinghouse (which turned into an unsatifying paper shuffle before being cancelled) suddenly showed up in my group. Around 9 AM, while giving him an overview of the project, I innocently told him that new project was heading in the same direction as the earlier one. By 10 AM, people started asking "have you seen XXX"? Nope. A few minutes later I found out through HR that he walked off because he didn't want to go through the same crap that he had on the earlier attempt to build the plant.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I once saw a co-worker start her new job as a customer service assistant. Her main job was answering the phone and filing. Well, it just happened that day that we received more than double the normal call volume. Needless to say, she quit at the end of the day. :S

However, on another slant... there was this company that I used to work at, that laid me off. It was my second lay-off there. A former co-worker had been laid-off before me. A while later, that company asked him to come back, despite the fact he'd already gotten a new job, which he neglected to tell them about. He accepted the offer. Scheduled a one-week vacation from his current job to coincide with starting back at the old company. So, he works that week there. On Friday at 5 pm, he gets up, goes to the boss's office, tells the bitch "I quit", and walks out. And goes back to his regular job the following Monday!

Everyone who got laid off from that company all laughed our asses off when we found that out.

:D:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Happens all the time at my work. I'm the office manager for a construction company and some guys just can't handle actual work. [:/]

I did construction work in my late teens, early 20s. We used to say, "You aren't at work until you've been there 3 days".

I tied rods on a bridge one summer. Picking up steel that had been lying in the Florida sun all day. Gloves didn't help that much.

We had guys who looked at the job and then turned around and left. Too bad, it was good money with bonuses.

I spent one brutal summer working in an iron foundry. It was a standing joke that you could always tell if the new guy would finish the day by looking at his shirt at lunchtime. If you could still clearly distinguish the shirt's original color after only a few hours, then that loser was going home real soon.:)

Matt

Had that happen a few times in the first machine shop that I worked in-Then there was the time that I (just a machine operator at the time) told a new kid (a real CF) "Boy, I don't think that this for you, maybe you should just go on back home." He did! The next morning the boss came to chew me out saying, "You don't have the authority to fire anyone" My response...."His little ass is gone, ain't it"
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried