MyOwnWay

what do you do for friend who just lost their pet?

my best friend just got news that his puppy fell in his parents pool and drowned. i am not good w/ situations like this and i was wondering if anyone has advice on how to help. his entire family is devastated cuz it was one of the puppies that they bred. all i could do was hug him as he cried. . . i feel helpless. [:/]

I suck when it comes to sympathy. My response is usually "I don't know what to say to make this any better so I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and listen if you need to talk."

This works really well for daily life as well. Listen more than you talk and you will never stop learning and earning the respect of others.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

"I don't know what to say to make this any better so I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and listen if you need to talk."

You seem to be underestimating how perfect a response this usually is.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Trial and error is a tough teacher. I've learned most of my lessons the hard way.

I suck at the hugging and words of sympathy, I was just born missing that gene. I can't be very mushy but I can grab tissues and point out that snot is starting to drip.

So many times people with good intentions make a bad situation worse by talking of their experiences and how they "got over" something bad. I once had someone ask me to just shut up and listen. I learned my lesson. Now, I just shut up and listen.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

I think it is worse with a pet than a human sometimes. There isn't any funeral for a dog yet they are a part of the family many times.

That said what I often have to do for friends who have lost a dog is dig a hole with my backhoe.:S Not a real touching thing but is is very appreciated.

There isn't any funeral for a dog yet they are a part of the family many times.

The best I can offer is a web site - Rainbow Bridge - someone gave that to me when my baby died - after being with me for almost 16 years - in my arms. Unashamedly, I cried for days and still tear up as I look into the back yard where he now resides. But yes, there can be a funeral service for a pet. My best friend and deacon from my church prayed over the gravesite. And the grave, made of pressure treated 2" x 12" and sealed with silicone, is imbeded in 880 pounds of concrete (11 80 lb. bags of quikrete), complete with a real marker. See - I love my baby...he's safe now and nothing will ever bother him.
Thanks for helping with friend's pet's graves, dude. I had friends help me cause my health is failing and I couldn't do it myself so I know how much it's appreciated.
TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."