DJL

NEVER land with the plane (Video)

That ones been going around for a couple months...
B|

My wife who is an airline pilot, said it was even in a 'training' video spoof they were shown a month ago...

the caption there was...

"Just park it Anyplace!" :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Oh, what a shame. Such a beautiful aircraft......:(

yeah... i love Grummans! poor plane...

I have always daydreamed of becoming a pilot and owning a Grumman G-21 Goose!

Jimmy Buffett had one of the nicest Grummans I have ever seen named the "Hemisphere Dancer"

see here: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N928J&distinct_entry=true

So i sent the video to my day, retired navy pilot and seaplane travel service owner and pilot. this was his conclusion...

"I watched the video 6-8 times. The guy was making a full-power take-off when his right-hand engine quit....swerving him sharply to the right. An experienced multi-engined pilot (like your Dad) would have immediately hit the rudder to stay on-course.
The idiot didn't and the plane swerved to the right....then the pilot over-corrected, swerving left (ripping-off his tip-float).
....What happened next blows my mind: HE NEVER TOOK THE POWER OFF and in-explicably he tried to continue the take-off keeping the remaining left-hand engine at full-throttle!!!! .
The idiot's only remaining problem was a little beach in front of him...which he hit at half the speed he needed to rotate and take-off. He forgot he had bled-off so much airspeed with his water dancing that he was probably only going 40-50 when he hit the beach, ...spun around in the sand....broke the left wing in half..... WITH THE THROTTLE STILL AT 100% the left prop hits the sand, probably snaps the prop shaft and the engine finally dies.
(Interestingly, in the audio you can hear the "dead" right-hand engine chugging at-idle AS the plane hits the beach --while the left-hand engine is at full-throttle).
I don't know, maybe the rich old owner had a heart attack."

I read on another site, a few months back , that the Pilot was tanked up and pulled from the aircraft with minimal injuries where subsequently his blood alcohol level was assessed.......

dunno if that plane was going up or down....looked like a landing ( lots of speed)

Two Grumman stories:

My wife and I were driving up A1A from Titusville last time we were in Florida, and happened to pass the New Smyrna Beach airport. We both literally shouted "WHOA"! at the same instant and I pulled over, as they had not one, not two, but THREE Albatrosses in the middle of refurbs out on the ramp. ;) We had to stop and take pictures!

The first time I went to Skydance out here at Davis, I turned onto Aviation Ave. and saw a beautiful restored Albatross sitting cockeyed in the grass strip between the runway and taxiway. :( As opposed to the knucklehead flying the Grumman in the video, the pilot set her down straight down the middle with the gear up. Probably saved him a couple hundred grand on the rebuild...
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash