woodpecker

jedei

Anyone currently jumping one?

To all who respond with yes, could you give me a few flight chars. of this beast? Quirky shit that it does, things to look out for...blah blah blah
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Other than that it's an airlocked canopy plus I've put a jump on its successor Samurai, not much I can tell you but for someone under 400 jumps, I wouldn't recommend they try it. Just my 2 cents.

Edited to add: the manufacturer of the Jedei and Samurai canopies, Brian Germain, is on here as briansgermain.

You could probably get some direct facts about the canopies from him.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am flying a jedi 105 as my second parachute but it was my primary for 500-600 jumps or so. It is airlocked which makes it nice flying in turbulent conditions. It is fully eliptical though, which makes it a high performance parachute. If it has the proper line set on it from Brian and not somebody else, then it will open smooth and on heading (unless you pack it wierd). The only time that it ever spun up on me was when it was way out of trim, but ever since a new line set it has not had any funky openings. It is a little more ground hungry than the sensei, and I also believe it is more ground hungry than the stiletto but am not 100% on that. The recovery arc with a lighter loading (under 1.4) is shorter than some of the high performance parachutes of today's world. Over all it is a very nice and reliable parachute. Like already stated, it is a high performance parachute so you would want to talk to somebody at your dropzone and evaluate your current canopy control to see if you are even ready for an eliptical. Just my $0.02
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

A jedei is a particularly tough canopy to describe.

The biggest problem in describing them is that literally, each one is different. The canopy evolved over its life, with Brian Germain constantly testing new designs and producing them as the canopy was made.

The characteristics of each canopy varied wildly as Brian changed the design.

I jump one, but I spend more time under my Samurai. I find the Jedei to recover quicker from turns, and is less dive-hungry. It's very quick on the toggles, and has a nice flare.

I find my Jedei more like a Stiletto, and my Samurai more like a Katana, if that helps...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've got one .... never jumped it... someone gave [loaned] it to me with no risers attached!!!!

? So? You really should use your own or same brand risers anyway since they match your rig. Other than that, I do think 400 jumps is a good limit for jumping a jedei...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm joshing with Woodpecker (It's his Jedi that I have!!) - I also need a d-bag and pilot chute too... But, that's a good point about the jump numbers - So I will talk to my canopy instructor before jumping it - thanks.

I'll be interested to see how it handles compared to my SpeedGlider and Paraglider canopies.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I jumped a later version of the Jedei. A swept wing with eagle line trim. It has already been noted that the Jedei, was pre-lazer table so each is a little different. The canopy I had was awesome, it opened very nicely, flew like a razor and had tons of lift. I put 1500+ on it, at about 1.85lbs. pr sqft. I got the canopy at about 700 jumps and it was way over my head. When I got the Jedei there were no canopy courses, nobody with any real knowledge of how to make these canopies perform (not in the mid west and not many places in the world). We learned the hard way back in those days.

If you know what your getting into and your ready giv'r. none of us know you so we can't really say you should or shouldn't be on the canopy. Someone has seen you land, someone knows what you can handle, don't ask us ask them.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

I've got one .... never jumped it... someone gave [loaned] it to me with no risers attached!!!!

I hate you! :P:D

Thanks to everyone else for the input. Just putting the feelers out so I know a little more about the flying characteristics of this beast. Looking at playing with it this summer after a few more jumps.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?