boarder923

certification questions

do you have to be certified to buy a para chute, how old do you have to be to be certified how long does it usualy take .

thanks

Find the nearest DZ (drop zone) find the instructors and ask a lot of questions. I may in the end save your life:|
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

To answer the initial question: No there are not any legal requirements to buy a parachute, but you won't be able to use it unless you are certified since no one will let you on their plane.
For Base rigs it's different. Most manufacturers require at least some skydiving experience.

That's not true. One can go out and buy a rig, get it checked by a rigger (reserve repack), go up in plane and fling themselves out and learn on the way down. Show me any form of certification requirements by the FAA

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/FARS/part_105.html
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN is correct. The FAA does not require any certification; however, MOST skydiving centers do require some type of proficiency before they will let you jump out of their planes. That said I'm sure you could find a plane to jump out of if you really have a death wish regarding your first jump. Who knows you might even survive to do it again.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

BIGUN is correct. The FAA does not require any certification; however, MOST skydiving centers do require some type of proficiency before they will let you jump out of their planes. That said I'm sure you could find a plane to jump out of if you really have a death wish regarding your first jump. Who knows you might even survive to do it again.

That's what I meant. I doubt that very many DZ owners or pilots would want to risk being involved with something like that.

I thought you needed the required NOTAM and the consent of the pilot doing the dropping for it to be legal...

Someone look at the FAR!

As for basejumping, its illegal all the time for most exit points... so buy a para chute and climb a tower!
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

The last three posts are correct.
And, I can tell you from previous experience that I ain't getting into a debate with Rob - it hurts. :D

Most DZO's and/or pilots wouldn't let/want someone to do that (although there have been pilots that have done it).
You must follow the FARS regarding NOTAMS
You cannot endanger other aircraft (hence, the NOTAM) or people on the ground.

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

He doesnt wanna jump it, just wants to put it in his college dorm room and tell tall "no shit there i was, thought i was gonna die" tales :D

:D

Anyway we look at it we dont need the stat!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln