DARK

the attitude towards safety in this sport compared to in others

do you not think that skydivers attitude is a large reason we are allowed to self regulate

No. Skydiving as a sport is allowed to self regulate because of USPA. Without USPA, skydiving in the US would be regulated by the government, just like it is in the UK and many other countries.

Skydiving in the UK is run by the BPA, a self governing body.
but what do I know

first off, kayaking businesses are often just as "uptight" and safety oriented as DZs. Mandatory wearing of wetsuits, not renting sit in models to people who don't explain a self rescue (or at least a T rescue), and other nonsense.

Kayaking isn't remotely as dangerous or as difficult as skydiving, with the exception of the white water folks. Anyone can get on a boat and inefficiently paddle around. And you can always stop for a moment, or get verbal instruction from someone next to you. Or towed by that person.

Skydiving is one of the ego sports, and all the posturing bullshit that comes with it, quite contrary to this 'we love safety' notion you suggest. Just like the tech divers, the mountaineers, and others.

"To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid"

I don't think you need to necessarily be the one that exercises poor judgment to gain experience by it, but whether it is your own screw-ups and close calls or those of someone else, learning important lessons gives one the experience needed to then use good judgment.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals