Sabre2ooth

Downsizing from Sabre2 190 to 170...

Hi,

I'm currently flying a Sabre2 190 with a wing loading of 1.07, and am looking to downsize to a 170 (Sabre) in the near future which would be at a wing loading of 1.2. Will I notice a significant difference between the two canopies? As a bit of background, I have jumped this canopy since I came off of student status (about 90 jumps), and 99% of my landings are stand up. My long term plan is to spend some time on this canopy, before later transitioning to a Sabre 150, and eventually a Crossfire 2 150. Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Yes you will notice that as you get higher in WL the faster response time with toggle input. I fly a Sabre2 190 and load it at about 1.21/1 and what I have noticed is that the canopy will respond faster but that 1% that you don't stand up will hurt a little more at 1.2 but even at that WL the canopy is still a little forgiving

Gut hey that it just my opinion
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

When thinking about downsizing, you might also consider things other than your landings, such as how you're doing with accuracy, getting back from long spots, and landing in strange wind conditions (no wind, cross wind, down wind). You should have a firm grip on these things before downsizing, as well as other important maneuvers such as flare turns and flat turns.

FWIW, you're about 100 jumps shy of the recommended experience for a 1.2 wing loading. Feel free to weigh this against your and other people's honest assessment of your canopy skills.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

Will I notice a significant difference between the two canopies?

Yes you will. The increase in Wingloading will create a higher foward speed and the shorter lines on the smaller canopy will give more agility and more immediate reaction to steering input. There is an excellent document on Wingloading and its Effects (pdf link) by John LeBlanc, founder of PD.
Reading highly recommended.
Having your canopy choice checked out by someone with significantly more experience that knows you is always a good idea.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Hi,

I'm currently flying a Sabre2 190 with a wing loading of 1.07, and am looking to downsize to a 170 (Sabre) in the near future which would be at a wing loading of 1.2. Will I notice a significant difference between the two canopies? As a bit of background, I have jumped this canopy since I came off of student status (about 90 jumps), and 99% of my landings are stand up. My long term plan is to spend some time on this canopy, before later transitioning to a Sabre 150, and eventually a Crossfire 2 150. Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Have you looked at Bill Von's check list and completed those tasks? what do your instructors and other people who know your flying capability as well as the other variables that should be considered when downsizing (outs, weather conditions, elevation)???
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Sid you are correct in that I am a little low on my jumps to be at 1.2 WL. Even those at the DZ agree that I am loading a little high but they have all said that for such low numbers I have a fairly good grasp of canopy control. I have 93 jumps now and I am still getting to know my canopy but I am pretty good at returning from a long spot. I may not be in the pea pit but I am at least about 30-40 feet from the pit or at least in the landing area. I definitely notice the difference in input response from when I jump my Spectre 210 and when I jump my Sabre2 190. I am definitely not moving from this WL any time soon. I am still losing weight so my WL is definitely getting lower as I lose the weight. So when I reach 195 lbs I will be closer to 1/1 than I am right now
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

Hey Ryan,

Do yourself a favourand start jumping at a DZ that rents a good range of quality canopies. i regularly took 10% off my WL and by the time i did 150 jumps i was ready to by myself my beautifull 135 Sabre 2. By then i had progressed through a 149 Saffire 2, 169 Saffire 2, 175 Sabre etc.

Also, dont be lazy under the canopy. Make the most of the time by playing with the risers and toggles and seeing how the rig reacts in various conditions.

Also, plan your approach and landing spot s this will give you a good indication of your current level.

But, it will get expensive to keep buying new rigs every time you want to downsize. Renting is relatively cheap in the long term if your intention is just to acclimatise to new rigs and wingloadings.
fly high... fly long.