brierebecca

How cold is too freakin' cold?

Mid 50's??!! You're killin' me!

I've lived in the south my whole life, I think my blood has thinned! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

bwaaaahaaahaha!

Im a wuss now, but early in my career I would jump in just about anything. I would say my line is about the 60 mark. Anything below that... I will just stay in the ATL and party like a rock star!

I dont like to have to layer that much, cuz then my gear doesnt fit quite right. I rarely wear gloves, to that introduces another thing I dont like. And like so many others... I live in the south, its never cold for very long! B|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

december 9th 05. jump #'s 9 and 10.

low for that day at the DZ 6ºF
high for that day at the DZ 41º

I jumped at 15ºF that morning...

good thig was that the temp at altitude was something like 30ºF But under canopy was an experience i didnt want to repeat 1 last time to finish AFF. Went back the next day for a little warmer weather. :P

that broke me, but it looks like if i want to stay current im going to put myself through hell 1 more time this weekend.:ph34r::D

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Mid 50's??!! You're killin' me!

I've lived in the south my whole life, I think my blood has thinned! :ph34r:

Oh I know. It works both ways too. I came to work without a jacket on last week when the temp got to 42.

Plus, I was in southern GA for a few years in the Army and remember thinking I was freezing when it got to be 50.

Temperature is always relative. Whether or not it's cold depends on what you're used to. AND whether or not the plane is heated.

In VT, where the C182 had a hole cut out of the bottom of the door (so it didn't hit the wing when it opened), and the 40-minute ride to altitude was whatever temperature it was outside, my limit was somewhere around 50F on the ground. In CT,and other places in the northeast where the plane is heated, I can hack 20F so long as I've got layers and my full-face.

I am a northern jumper (WI). For the most part all the DZs are shut down as of Nov 1st. Its kinda cold after that. But there is one DZ the stays open all winter, every weekend, none stop. Skydive Wissota. they are crazy (I am the president of the club), it doesn't seem to matter the temp. they are always there. I went there one time to jump when it was -5 (I hadn't made a jump in three weeks (gasp))on the ground. There were three people in that Cessna and we decided that we needed to get out after about 1000 ft AGL. By the time we got to 4 G OAT was -30 we wanted out. the pilot (aircraft owner)said no way, if I have to fly my A/C in this weather when I should be on the ground drinking beer and watching football you three are going to suffer. After another few minutes of begging he let us out at 6.5. OAT was something like -50 . We suffered . We were all dressed for it but you can only do so much.
Jumping in the winter up here is a matter of commitment. The only reason I slow down in the winter is not a lot of jumpers are left. Only the hardcore make winter here. So the jumps tend to be better and the wait shorter. The Cessna climbs like an Otter in the high density air, it's great. So if you want to make a jump and your in the upper mid west stop by and make one, we'll be jumping anyway.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

We just live in a part of the country where you take what you get or you lock yourself inside for 4 months. Which is more crazy? You just gotta dress for it. It was 7 degrees when we started on Sat. on the ground and it did get a little warmer. The coldest part was the ride up. (notice no doors) Next year you should all join us!

Lowest temp I ever jumped in was 32F on the ground and exit altitude was 10K. I made sure not one square inch of skin was exposed. It was freaking cold...

The Alabama state record 40 way back in 1997 was done with temps in the mid 30's on the ground and fucking colder at 15,000 feet, but I don't think anybody cared, we completed that sucker by 8000 feet. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Doing a recurrency jump last weekend at Aggieland, it was around 45F on the ground - don't know what the temp at altitude was, but it was pretty chilly, at least to me!

Of course, now I'm back in Kosovo, where it's a LOT colder!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Where is your cold weather line?

Not quite sure, but my princess grew up in Siberia, and -55° in winter was the norm for her.:S

Having lived in LA, the turtleneck comes out in the 50's.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

The coldest jump I ever did was a 2-way CRW jump when it was -27C (-17F) on the ground....we got out at 7200' and froze our hands solid...after crying like babies when the frostbitten fingers thawed out we packed up and kept jumping...but only did accuracy jumps from 2,500' after that.

My cutoff is when it goes below -20 C at altitude.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

When I went home from training yesterday, I saw polarbears roaming the streets and a whole bunch of old people with their tounges stuck to a lamppost... It is CRAZYcold here!

It was so cold here, I saw a dog frozen to a fire hydrant !!

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I am a northern jumper (WI). For the most part all the DZs are shut down as of Nov 1st. Its kinda cold after that. But there is one DZ the stays open all winter, every weekend, none stop. Skydive Wissota.
We came and saw you for the Halloween boogie. Peoples faces were BRIGHT red when they landed, and most of them had on 2 pairs of gloves, but plenty o' fun was being had, no matter what! I was thinking that I should have brought you a load of fire wood to keep everyone warm!

skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]