Baksteen

What was YOUR bottleneck?

OK, I'm hijacking this thread. It has now become "Help Ether Approach a Coach". Your approach to learning is not as different as you might imagine, so that shouldn't hold you back. I'm not from Canada, so I don't know exactly what your license requirements are, but pick one you think you can handle, go up to a coach or instructor who doesn't seem to be busy at the moment and say "excuse me, could you help me with this? How do I ..... (whatever the particular requirement is) ?" Listen to the reply, don't argue, but make sure you understand it, say "thanks very much", and get that one knocked out. Repeat until done.
If you go to the dropzone and concentrate on being a safe, competent skydiver, you'll mix in well enough with the crowd (or so I've heard).
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I feel your pain, someone once said to me skydivers are a very close knit community at the DZs that was possibly the biggest understatement of the decade.

I have about as much social grace as a fish so I take the tactic of hiding in a corner till I get to jump again.

As for my handicap, I think im in it just now....cant seem to get off 5 sec delays , then again iv only just started:)

"If your chute malfunctions, you've got the rest of your life to fix it"

Ether, I hear you on this one. I struggled with this a lot. In fact, if it weren't for the DZO, I might have been stuck at that place.

Once I got up the courage, I found most instructors more than willing to help out. Ask the DZO or manifest person who might be available. I guess my advice is, "Cowboy up, and ask." It isn't fatal.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Hey ether if u want some really good and friendly coaches come jump in kamloops. carrie, snuggy and Nick are awesome coaches and instructors, we have quite a few people from vancouver been coming up to kamloops to jump.I did my first 80 jumps in Pitt and took 9 years off due to moving to work but i drive 2 and half hours to kamloops DZ cause it kicks ass.I just got my new miarge G4 and i cant wait for saturday to jump.BTW the flare on the pilot 168 and the openings are awesome.

Hey ether if u want some really good and friendly coaches come jump in kamloops

Yeah, I love Kamloops... I even had an intimate relationship with your taxiway sign (see avatar picture) B|B|:S;)
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

You're welcome ;)

Sometimes part of the solution is knowing you're not the only one who's struggling.

@ether:
How about taking somebody into your confidence? They can show you around at the DZ and introduce you to coaches after the beer light is on. Once you get to know them, it maybe less 'scary' to ask for their help.

Also, force yourself to hang with the large group of skydivers that will stay after jumping is over for the day. No need to say anything yet if you feel uncomfortable, just hang with them.
Buy the occasional round of drinks - it will get you noticed and help you become part of the group.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Yea, hanging around works great, even if you don't say much. Don't be to hard on yourself, and skydiving is not a sport for rushing things. Just take it at your own pace, I can relate somewhat to the troubles of Ether. I have social anxiety, but I see it as a chance to work on it, and I even give myself assignments to learn to cope with it. ;)

Social anxiety is my main bottleneck, still haven't got my A license yet. But then again I am not in a hurry, and I am having fun jumping. I have to force myself to go to the DZ, and staying there is another challenge. But afterwards I am happy that I've done it.

Have fun, be safe and be as you are :)

Yeah, I tend to be the quiet guy,until people get to know me. But after that I can be the guy that doesn't shut the Fuck up sometimes (if you get me going about brewing).
You don't necessarily have to be out going and vocal approaching everyone, but at least hang around the other jumpers. Otherwise it seems more like you are isolating yourself and people won't go out of their way to interact with you then.
Once people start recognizing you they will interact with you more realizing you are the shy type if that's what it takes. Beer usually helps after the jumping is done.

Not all DZ's are friendly tho, some do have their cliques which are hard to get into. But if the DZ is larger enough (which usually facilitates the cliques) there will be other jumpers that aren't locals who will be a bit more friendly than the local crowd.

It can be hard and intimidating interacting with new people. Not knowing what to say or how to say it, but as long as you are genuine and honest you really won't find to many people that are difficult to get along with. Most skydivers I know are willing to accept people with their faults as long as they don't go around being superficial and pretending to be something else.

Talk to the instructors or ask manifest to direct you to someone who can help you. Once you develop your skills it will be easier. All you have to do then is ask to be on an organized load and you'll have no issues meeting people.

Oh, and just to keep this somewhat on track with the original post:
I learned static line and kept reaching across with my left hand to pull. After a couple times I talked with an instructor who had a similar problem and told me it was probably because I was used to practicing the EP's (using a SOS system. Single ripcord, cutaway and reserve). After that no more reaching with my left hand.
I don't remember if I was reaching with both hands for the ripcord as with going for the silver handle.

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.

like john mitchell above for me it was flat spins...changed DZs...... new instructor said "jeeezzz bloke , your body position is perfect but you fall like a sheet of plywood...you wont get anywhere unless you relax ...a lot" He was right of course and it remains the key element of our sport, to fly with precison and in a relaxed state , while being naturally amped up by whats going on.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

All was well until jump 13. At that point I developed trouble with SERIOUS instability at deployment time when coming out of a track. This was scary for all involved (me and my coach). It took a number of jumps including some with video to get over this hump.

I have continued to struggle with micro accuracy. The "macro" accuracy of getting back to the DZ, of landing in the part of the LZ that I want...I had that nailed quickly. However, getting those 2 meter "micro" accuracy jumps for my C-license is my current quest. Yes, I have been to a canopy control class...and I have another one booked in a couple of weeks.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

For me it was 5 second delays...I kept dearching and looking for my hackey at deployment time. I would roll over every other jump. DZO was considering putting me back on the rope when it clicked. Never repeated a jump after, but 5 5 seconds was enough.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

i had a serious problem with flat spinning. so bad that i was spinning so fast that i was 'generating lift'
it took a couple of jumps for me to get it, and honestly i had started to give up, saturday every jump i spun up.

Sunday came in, just to practice packing, got TOLD to put my gear on and im on first load. I dont know what the hell happened that jump, but I never felt more relaxed. (this was aff4) after that, I knocked out the rest of aff in no time. I felt like an extreme idiot for not being able to stop spinning and that just made me more tense. Once I got relaxed, smooth sailing!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

1) I got really good at diving down. When I started doing 20-ways about a year ago, I quickly became a late diver. I've been last one out a number of times, and close on formations with no problems.

Sounds like you're ready for the Perris Big Way Camps. First weekend gets you from 20-into-50-ways and and the second weekend gets you from 50-into-100-ways. You have 250 jumps and ability to do 20-ways reliably from near last out. Sign up at www.bigways.com -- there's still room. :)
Just make sure you bring your weightbelt -- you'll be put everywhere else in the formation, too.