Vebbyson

Loads and student jumps

I'm new to this hobby, trying to figure out how to schedule my student jumps, have a few IAD jumps completed. My local jump base is open Friday through Monday, I called to schedule a couple more student jumps for Monday, but they had only one load scheduled for the entire day (tandems I think) and no fun jumpers expected since it's a Monday. So, no student jumps available for me. Is this normal at most jump bases?

It depends.

Most dropzones have days they are closed or slow, where they will have planes going only if there is demand. My dz is closed Mon & Tues. Ask them when they plan to be open and try to work your schedule around that. It took me 6 months to get my work schedule in order to start jumping.

In general, it is common to not send airplanes unless they are a minimum level of full, so one student jump may not be enough to staff manifest, pilot, instructor, packer, etc for the whole day!

My local dropzone is open every day of the week. Although during weekdays they open at times based on tandem loads. So sometimes it's already at 9am, other times it's somewhere in the afternoon.

If you are still doing jumps that require an instructor (AFF, SL, etc) then you need to book your jumps so that they can arrange enough instructors for the day. If you are a graduate student and you're jumping solo, then you can just come whenever you want when they are open, and there would always be a load with a couple of slots available where you can go with.

So yeah, I guess it depends per dropzone. Some are busy and always open, others are less busy and thus not always open.

IJskonijn

****** BTW. skydiving is a religion, NOT a hobby.

Not anymore, Brother.... not anymore.

It costs about as much as a religion...
...which is, like, an old button in the charity box about once every four years? :D
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom