Tigerfly

A license jumping camera....

evh

***. If you were in situation where you don't give a damn about equipment, and you had a nice lever (your camera), I don't think it will take this long.

You are wrong.

There is a video somewhere (cant look for it right now) of a guy trying to do this under canopy. He failed.

Are you talking about this one? In fairness, in this idiot's case, he had used a nylon screw to attach the snag hazard, and OP is just talking about adhesive.

https://skwrl.smugmug.com/Video/Videos/i-WHSJRJx/A
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

>Don't underestimate the adhesion of 3M tapes: they can take 80-100 lbs/in2.

Yep. They build cars with such adhesives nowadays.

The guy who started this subthread had the right idea - put one together and try it out before thinking it will "just come off."

billvon

>Don't underestimate the adhesion of 3M tapes: they can take 80-100 lbs/in2.

Yep. They build cars with such adhesives nowadays.

The guy who started this subthread had the right idea - put one together and try it out before thinking it will "just come off."

If you do this, make sure you let the adhesive fully cure before trying to pull it off.

My understanding is that full strength is reached in 72 hours.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Skwrl

******. If you were in situation where you don't give a damn about equipment, and you had a nice lever (your camera), I don't think it will take this long.

You are wrong.

There is a video somewhere (cant look for it right now) of a guy trying to do this under canopy. He failed.

Are you talking about this one? In fairness, in this idiot's case, he had used a nylon screw to attach the snag hazard, and OP is just talking about adhesive.

Nope that's not the one.
The one I saw was from a guy that intentionally tried to remove his camera in the scenario that we are talking about. He did not have an entanglement; he just wanted to try it (and found out that he could not). I'm 99% sure he used only the sticky tape and no screws.

Too bad I cannot find it :-(

These mounts are tough, especially after a few months.

Edit:
That being said, your video is still a nice example.
Those nylon bolts are pretty small and I am willing to bet that they are much weaker than the GoPro adhesive. Also, a ringsight has fairly good leverage, certainly not worse than a gopro.

evh

*********. If you were in situation where you don't give a damn about equipment, and you had a nice lever (your camera), I don't think it will take this long.

You are wrong.

Nope that's not the one.
The one I saw was from a guy that intentionally tried to remove his camera in the scenario that we are talking about. He did not have an entanglement; he just wanted to try it (and found out that he could not). I'm 99% sure he used only the sticky tape and no screws.

Too bad I cannot find it :-(

These mounts are tough, especially after a few months.

Edit:
That being said, your video is still a nice example.
Those nylon bolts are pretty small and I am willing to bet that they are much weaker than the GoPro adhesive. Also, a ringsight has fairly good leverage, certainly not worse than a gopro.

At the same time I've seen GoPros go missing forever from incidental contact. Seems 3M tape is not the best solution.

DID I MENTION YOU SHOULD USE A GODDAMNED GRELLFAB MOUNT UNLESS YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL VIDEOGRAPHER?

There, in caps and bold.

Bob_Church

It is common to jump without a hook knife these days?

I rarely see anyone with one. Mine's been on my chest strap since forever. I include it in my practice touches.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Bob_Church

Many people have them but it's doubtful they'd even think of it in the middle of a camera entanglement.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Bob_Church

I never jump without one. I have one on my rig, but my "go to" is a Jack-the-Ripper in a pocket on my jumpsuit thigh for easy, fast access. I also recommend them to every jumper I work with.

If you don't have a hook knife when you need one, you will likely never need one again.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

***It is common to jump without a hook knife these days?

I never jump without one. I have one on my rig, but my "go to" is a Jack-the-Ripper in a pocket on my jumpsuit thigh for easy, fast access. I also recommend them to every jumper I work with.

If you don't have a hook knife when you need one, you will likely never need one again.

When CReW started I started wearing at least two. One high, the chest strap, in case I got wrapped low and one low, my knee pocket in case a wrap pinned my arms down. Then we started trying to build diamonds and I started attaching a third to my shoe.
I still wear the two, and three on those rare occasions I get to do CReW.

chuckakers

***It is common to jump without a hook knife these days?

Hey Chuck!

I used to keep one in the leg pocket of my jumpsuit. And the day I needed it, I was spinning so hard that I couldn't get it out even though I had about four thousand feet.

My advice is have one where you can get to it easily. See if you can actually get it out under canopy sometime (checking traffic, etc first).

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

******It is common to jump without a hook knife these days?

Hey Chuck!

I used to keep one in the leg pocket of my jumpsuit. And the day I needed it, I was spinning so hard that I couldn't get it out even though I had about four thousand feet.

My advice is have one where you can get to it easily. See if you can actually get it out under canopy sometime (checking traffic, etc first).

Great advice, Top. I jump Tonysuits and the pocket they install is a half pocket that exposes the entire Jack handle, using a short lanyard and snap to secure it in the pocket. I can't say getting it out would be easy in a shit-show but it is definitely out there for the taking.

For those who don't know, Topdocker is a CReW guru who knows a little something about the need and proper use of hook knives. If y'all have any CReW questions, he's a go-to source.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

evh

***. If you were in situation where you don't give a damn about equipment, and you had a nice lever (your camera), I don't think it will take this long.

You are wrong.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I just accidentally stumbled upon the video I was referring to, I thought maybe someone would like to see it.

Turns out I was wrong. It took 7 seconds to break the mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsEI_6cErbM