SarahC07

College Students...(and college graduates)

I'm a 3rd year Computer Science student at the University of California, Riverside. I chose this field because I have a very large interest in it, I've used computers on a daily basis for the past 12 or 13 years, and so I'm pretty good with them. To be quite honest, I don't want to program for a living, or do anything that requires me to sit at a desk. But I always want to know how everything works, and I want to know enough to make my own modifications to programs and such, so this is why the CS major works so well for me. I think in the end I will end up pursuing a career as a commercial pilot. I already have my Private, with quite a few hours, and flying never fails to amaze me. Now if I could only get off of my ass and get that Instrument and all the other ratings that I should have had by now!

Oh, by the way, my car was broken into last week and my flight bag was stolen....so there goes my medical, logbook, and everything I ever had that was important to my flying career. It's so frustrating.

So, who are the college students?

I'm a grad school student

What year are you?

grad, with only my comprehensive exams left.

What university do you attend?

Loyola Marymount

What is your major and how did you decide what you wanted to study?

Currently finishing up a M.A. in Education. Thought I wanted to be a teacher. My B.A. is in communications with an emphasis in film and screenwriting, with a dance minor. I picked it because I enjoyed it, and most people don't really care what you got your undergrad degree in anyway.

Heck, even if you're not in college anymore... how did you know what you wanted to study?

I picked something I liked. Even if its just a hobby now, it kept my interest through school, which made it easier to stick with it.

What year are you? What university do you attend? What is your major and how did you decide what you wanted to study?

I'm a Sophmore at a community college in the beautiful PNW. I'm in the midst of prerequisites for nursing school and I just finished an EMT class. Everybody should take that class, it was so much fun and such a practical thing to take if you are a skydiver or a BASE jumper...heck, even snowboarding and, well...pretty much anything. I decided to go into nursing because of my ER shift I did during my EMT class. Bagging patients (using a bag-valve-mask to ventilate someone) and doing chest compressions, seeing that what you do makes a difference to people and how grateful families are that you are there...it was a good feeling and a great type of people.

It took me long enough to figure out what I wanted to do, it was like running a race and not knowing which way to go!

I am currently a Junior in Statistics, Studying at Kansas State University In Manhattan, Kansas. I always knew I wanted to do something quantitative, and Statistics just fell into place for me. I took some Statistics Classes & eventually went into the Office and discussed possible job opportunities & Grad School Requirements. I quite Like me field of study. I hope that I find a Grad School a short distance from a Turbine DZ....:)
=========Shaun ==========

I started in Computer Science at Michigan State, then went to the US Naval Academy and started over since they don't let people transfer any credits. I'm currently going to Naval Postgraduate School getting a Masters in Modeling Virtual Environments and Simulations. It's a pain sometimes, but we have some pretty cool classes.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The greatest risk you take in life is the risk you don't take.

soon to be 5th year student in industrial engineering. hey you change majors twice and try to get that crap done in 4 years! :P

but my parents look at my grades going down, and my jump numbers/ratings going up, and they tell me my real major must be skydiving harharhar.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Maybe, I can just marry a rich man and be a house wife?!?! hmmm.... maybe ... maybe not!

Wearing knee pads is easy, but rich men are often smarter than that, and eventually you'd become tired of the lifestyle. Most young men today know that you can't get anywhere on one income anymore, so they seek partners with a useful college degree not world religion. Y'all wanted equality...now sit down and study!

And to answer the question, I graduated from CalPoly, SLO with a Civil Engineering degree, and I'm employed as a Civil Engineer. I set my sights on a target, and I pursued my goal without delay. Looking back, I'm glad that I spent 10-yrs moving around and working odd jobs between leaving the military and returning to college, experiences that my colleagues will never enjoy. The only regret is that I missed buying a home in California, and now they are priced way beyond reasonable terms.

University of Virginia, BA in Foreign Affairs
Duke, MBA

Heck, even if you're not in college anymore... how did you know what you wanted to study?

Good question and I'd say unless you're working towards a masters' program that has lots of specific prerequisites, do what interests you and don't sweat whether you can get a job/get into grad school/etc. I succeeded in business with a liberal arts degree, and I think because of that I had more fun when I went back for my MBA (my MBA classmates who had undergrad business degrees weren't as interested in the classwork as I was as some of it was repetitive).

One thing that worked for me in figuring out what I really liked was jumping right into the 300-level classes early on. That gives you a better idea of what the classes are like for the folks in the major than the big 100-level survey classes will.

Also, don't get hung up on whether the choices you're making now are going to affect your career for the rest of your life. They won't. You may find yourself wanting very different things down the road and that's okay. Don't try to predict that now.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I graduated from the Sinclair Community College (Dayton, OH after leaving Wright State Univ because it wasn't the right time or place for me.) w/a degree in Engineering Science Universtiy Parallel in 1997. Then used that to get a BS Degree in Materials Science & Engineering @ the University of Cincinnati (2000).

After that I tried to get a MS/PhD at Carnegie Mellon University (also in MSE...) but when that fell through (I can be sort of stupid sometimes...) I got a job and am getting ready to go back to school (next fall) to study Ceramic Engineering (I don't know where yet.)

I chose what I did because it was the most visual engineering major...

I am currently a student in community college studying Chemical Engineering. I am a 3rd year jr college student and will have 86 credits come May.

I work in IT and started as a Computer Sci major as I enjoyed it for a while. It got old, and I decided to change my major to Pharmacy because they were making some bux w/o a great deal of school. But, after a while I realized I couldn't see myself working long hours standing and dealing with Medicare patients. I had taken some Chemistry and Math and I decided to gear myself toward Engieering. I have thought of switching, but I am excited about it now. I am not sure where i'll be in Fall '05, but it won't be South Florida anymore. I enjoy science and (some) math, and I am excited about studying more!

-A

Undergrad in Electrical Engineering (with a lot of Aerospace classes). Flew with Airlock (4-way) for 2 years. Competed in collegiates 3 times, probably will once more....

Jump at ASC, Skydive The Farm, and Monroe

www.airlockskydiving.com

I go to THE University of Michigan. I am a senior (and soon to be 5th year) in Aerospace Engineering with a Math and Spanish double minor.

I' was always really into space when I was a kid. I was meant to be an engineer. My ultimate goal is to become an astronaut and right now I am .5" under the height maximum, which is good....

I was the kid with K'nex sets, and legos, who built extravagant towers and roller coasters and shit.....its hard as hell, but i know it'll be worth it
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

I love having a "BS" degree.:P

Double-major in Communications & Sociology with a minor in Psychology.

I didn't decide what to study---it picked me. The above was very easy/came naturally for me. Sociology was really fun. I wanted to be a veterinarian. But, I found the whole science track boring---not in the sense I wasn't learning something, but wasn't triggering my peek interest like sociology was.

So I figured I'd make a lot of $$$ and donate to my animal causes/charities instead.:P

Go gators!;)

<---once again, didn't realize this thread was a billion years old.:S:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I'm in my junior year at Colby College, in ME.
Double major in Computer Science and Math, and getting ready for many more years of school, since I wanna go for a PhD in computer science.

As far as I know, there are NO other skydivers here at Colby. Only my CS advisor who used to jump on round parachutes back in the old days, but he hasn't jumped in a very very long time...