AirPilot

Rig bought on internet, need expert advice !!!

I just bought this rig on the internet, I know nothing about equipment and was hoping someone could advise me if this equipment can be certified to jump and if I will have problems getting it certified?
Taking the rig to an inspector before purchase is not possible.

Main cap: Falcon 195/ year of construction 7/93

No 300 jumps, always well stored, no holes, no tears, no patches.

Harness: Vector II / year of construction 2/91, keeps good, approx.. 500 jumps.

Reserve: Firelite 176 / year of construction 6/88, 0 jumps, always well stored, no holes, no tears, no patches.

I just bought this rig on the internet, I know nothing about equipment

Priceless!

Harness: Vector II

From your profile, your disciplines of choice is freeflying. Vector II is not a good choice for freeflying.

Reserve: year of construction 6/88

IIRC, a reserve canopy expires after 20 years.

If it has no damage you can probably get it certified to jump. It's old stuff, hope you didn't pay more than a few hundred bucks, it's not cypress-ready, no rsl, not freefly proof. Not an ideal rig but provided you weigh no more than 165 lbs and there is no damage, are ok to jump without AAD and RSL and are planning on doing belly jumps only, and if the rig fits you properly, it's an ok starter rig.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

As in Australia, 20 years and the rig is expired (trash) !!!

I don't know what your local rules dictate re the whole of the rig and any life spans etc - but the rig is not trash - it still has a cash value in many (if not most?) regions of the world.

It's not a particularly high cash value for sure... but it's still jumpable in most places so long as it's airworthy.

It should be inspected by a rigger. I don't know about rules in Canada, but in the US there is no requirement to retire a reserve younger than 20.

It's relatively old gear; I do hope you didn't pay too much for it. But it's quite serviceable as long as you stay on your belly, and it won't bother you if you PLF in it. That's a good thing.

There are a couple of articles on buying gear in dz.com; you might want to take a look at them.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey bro,

I have 2 rigs. My first rig is an old VectorII dated 04-12-93 it has a few maods on it as far as to make it safer to fly. I have added bridle protection as well as the velcro flaps are replaced and I have a bunjee cord attaching the legstraps so they won't slip. But, let me tell you even though I have all that added security I will not do anything other than RW when jumping this rig. The reserve in it is an old PARA-FLITE Swift Plus 175 with a DOM of 10/91. I also have no RSL or AAD but I am completely fine with that. The only thing that is fairly new is my canopy and that is a Spectre210 with a DOM 03/2003. I made some sacrifices with this rig but it is still airworthy so I jump it when I am not jumping my new gear. But, I am very interested in Freeflying so my new Wings will be what I will have to use when I start learning. All in All remember this. Just because it is old technology does not mean it still is not airworthy. Hell my Friend Hippy still jumps his Falcon from time to time as well as some people still jump hornets and diablos. They are old but PPL still like them. Hope this helps.

I also attached a pic of my old VectorII
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

Yep I second what everyone else said, it's all junk now because it's older then 20 years old, so box it up and mail it to me so I can help you rid the market of this evil old parachute, hey seeing how I'm doing you such a big favor, I won't even charge you for my services as long as you cover the shipping.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If you need Cypres pockets sewn in or a BOC installed, just hand it to Tim Grech and ask hom to mail it to me.
That old Vector looks a lot like the Vector 1 1/2 that I jump with a wingsuit. The only difference is that I installed an Ariel 150 main.
CSPA's Technical Committee refuses to limit the age of skydiving equipment in Canada. Usually stuff falls out of fashion before any rigger grounds it.
Like all the other posters said: that rig will serve you fine - as long as you keep the suspended weight below 170 or 190 pounds.

I have an old Vector II that looks almost the same as yours, just different colors, plus a mod was made to sew a flap on the top closing panel of the main pack tray so that it covers the bottom of the reserve closing flap. That helps prevent lines getting caught under there during main deployment.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I just bought this rig on the internet, I know nothing about equipment...

My first thought:
56 jumps, knows nothing about equipment? Bought off the internet and then asks for advice?

Hmmmmmm...nothing says TROLL louder than that!
Nah...couldn't be...could it? Nah....:S

My second thought:
You got a Falcon!?! How much did the other guy pay you to take it?
:D:D:P

My third thought:
Maybe the guy's serious.
Nah...couldn't be...could it? Nah....:S

Bottom line:
If you're serious. Simply take it to your rigger and let him inspect it and tell you about it.
If you're trolling...well, at least I got a good chuckle out of it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What's wrong with a Falcon?!?!?
That was one of my favorite canopies. >:(
I kinda miss my old electric banana at times - it was neon yellow with neon orange ribs... when the sun hit it, man it would light up.

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

...couldn't afford NOT to buy it.

My wife's philosophy on most every purchase! :S

Chorus lyrics from a Stompin Tom song - Market Place:

Oh, yes we are the people running in the race,
Buying up the bargains in the old marketplace,
Another sale on something, we'll buy it while it's hot
And save a lot of money spending money we don't got.

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/stompin-tom-market-place-lyrics.html
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Yeah, whats wrong with a falcon? I jump one right now, It's a little slow, okay it's REALLY slow, but the thing is bulletproof to my packjobs. My first couple of packjpobs and up were on that thing, and I survived all of them! Aside from being old, slow, oh who am I kidding I can't wait until I get a new canopy :P

My first thought:
56 jumps, knows nothing about equipment? Bought off the internet and then asks for advice?

My thoughts exactly!

To the OP: I am seriously not trying to be an ass, but at 56 jumps you should know a few things about gear! Scary to have that many jumps and not have a clue about gear.[:/]

As far as buying something without having a clue about its usefulness...that is a whole other problem unrelated to skydiving.:P

Edited to add: Hold up! I just looked at your profile and you have a B license are a Pilot and an Academic....yet have not fully versed yourself in the details of gear after 56 jumps...this makes no since.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Thank You for your wisdom!
I have been researching, and have found same answer.
As in Australia, 20 years and the rig is expired (trash) !!!

it helps to research before buying Not after

how muich did you pay for that rig???

it sounds like you're a "bargain hunter" which might work welll in some things.....and not so well in others :S:|

jmy

You'd probably still jump one today, I bet.

Ya damn skippy. Heck I owned one in my first skydiving life and sold the one in this skydiving life just a couple of years ago - Falcon 300.

As a matter of fact, like its sister 7 cell Raven, the Falcon 9 cell was fully drop tested in accordance with TSO C-23c, Category B. As such, it carries the approval of the FAA's TSO stamp, allowing it to also be packed as a reserve.

Source: http://www.parachuteshop.com/falcon_main_canopy.htm

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.