cphelan

Questions When Buying a Used Rig?

So im in the market for a new rig preferebly a sabre 2 150 and wanted to know some good questions to ask before i got it... one so i dont get scammed and secondly so i know that im buying a legit canopy. Also just some other pointers you guys could give would be excellent. Thanks All.

Off the top of my head...

What is the serial number
What is the DOM.
How many jumps does this lineset have on it.
Is the canopy faded.
Are there any holes or tears in the canopy.
Will you work with my DZ's rigger as an escrow agent.
Who pays the shipping to the DZ rigger.
Will you accept payment after my rigger inspects it.
The rigger wouldn't release it to me until you notified him/her of payment receipt.
Will you provide me a bill of sale upon receipt of funds.
If the rigger doesn't approve the inspection or finds issues with it, who pays the shipping back.
Who pays the rigger's escrow fee.

EDIT: The buyer _usually_ pays the inspection fee.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Dude, just remember that if the person wants you to pay them before you or a rigger looks at it then remember that is a scam!!!

I would agree with that and have to say "most likely so..."

Be SURE to use an escrow. Most riggers will happily act a escrow for you.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I will not ship a canopy to a buyer without them paying me 1st.

Yup. I'll happily hold the payment until I know the buyer is happy with the item though.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention - ask the seller for the name and phone number of somebody at their home dz who can verify that they are a real person. Even someone who has quit jumping can probably still be identified by someone at the dz they used to jump at.

Dude, just remember that if the person wants you to pay them before you or a rigger looks at it then remember that is a scam!!!

I have done about half a dozen buying and selling transactions on these classifieds, ranging from a few dollars to a few thousand dollars. I have never used a rigger to inspect it and have never gotten scammed or scammed anyone else. I always send/ receive payment before the item ships.

If a seller has a highly in demand item (like a sabre2 150) at a good price, they will likely have several offers from buyers. If one buyer wants to hassle with using a rigger as an escrow agent and one just wants to send the seller cash tomorrow... well 9 times out of 10 the seller will sell to whoever is the least work to deal with. Thats just the way people work. Working through a rigger then might not be an option for the best deals.

Your results may vary.

Yup. I'll happily hold the payment until I know the buyer is happy with the item though.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention - ask the seller for the name and phone number of somebody at their home dz who can verify that they are a real person. Even someone who has quit jumping can probably still be identified by someone at the dz they used to jump at.

Yep. I do that as a seller too, especially if its a aggressive canopy. I'll want to talk to someone who knows the buyer for me to confirm a few things.
Remster

Remster

Well every one know that they can trust Remi because Remi is a well established person in this sport; however, if I am doing a transaction with someone unknown, I will not send any money unless certain safeguards are in place.

I have had really positive experiences buying gear online and I always talk to the seller's DZO for a reference. If the DZO was positive about the person I always felt reassured.

If you are buying a rig online, know that fit has very little to do with height and weight. A 6 foot person weighing 190 pounds might have a short torso or a long torso. They may have a 30" waist or a 40" waist. There are many rigs where people of the same height and weight can't share due to fit. On the plus side most manufacturers can retro fit the harness for a new owner.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Or he thinks you are a scam;) Happend onece to me :|

Speaking on topic, be sure the guy selling the kit has is, ask to make specific foto of some parts that are not on the pictures you have, and exuses as "my camera broken" doesn't counts, go and borrow it, if buing on dropzone.com you can ask some references, maybe some one known on the forum can vote fore the seller, ask specific questions, try to use rigger service.;)