bertusgeert

A typical "Skydiver"

For you who are familiar with the facebook (similar to dz.com in ways). I saw this guy at my uni skydives, and sent him a message:

ME: So you skydive?

Him: yes sir!

Me: how many jumps you got? Where do you jump?

And as we can expect....

Him: back at home ive jumped once...wanted to do it another time but the weather was bad that day how about you?

At least he could claim he does skydive, even if it was only once. Unlike all the skydiving addicts who have never done it!

Keep jumping rob...:)

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

I have been at the same DZ for 14 years full time, and often times I get "do you know so and so he jumps out there" most of the time I don't know the person. If you have jumped once, most people consider themselves a skydiver. I have a different view of things. If you dont have at least 20 its hard to consider yourself anything more then an infant you may have a good start but a skydiver hmmm that sounds like a good post subject. When do you consider it appropriate to say I am a skydiver.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

I have been at the same DZ for 14 years full time, and often times I get "do you know so and so he jumps out there" most of the time I don't know the person. If you have jumped once, most people consider themselves a skydiver. I have a different view of things. If you dont have at least 20 its hard to consider yourself anything more then an infant you may have a good start but a skydiver hmmm that sounds like a good post subject. When do you consider it appropriate to say I am a skydiver.

I always said you have to have an A license or equivalent to be considered one....what do you think?
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

aw dammit, guess that means im going to have to go out side and take that damn "skydive" sticker off the back window of my truck. Ill put it back up by the end of March after i get my A. :P:D

edit: What about those of us that have spent many days from 8-9am till 5-6pm waiting for wind holds just to get a chance to make 1 jump at approx. $200 each.

Im just glad to be out of AFF. :ph34r::ph34r:

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

That's funny, one jump. I agree at least A-license makes more sense. I was hooked from jump#1 but I doubt I would have called myself a skydiver too early. Sounds like he's someone that has done it once, might never again, but loves to talk/brag about it. :P

I've got over 1,500 jumps and I'd probably say "I was a skydiver" or "I used to skydive" if i quit, even though it has defined me for most of my adult life.

Edited to add: Students with some jumps or those like ones here that really ARE in the sport with no intent to stop anytime soon and do jump as regularly as feasible are different IMO than those like that online guy that made just one jump.

I was going to lunch with several co-workers when one of them spotted Rick Duran who is one of our security guards and has over 12,000 jumps. She pointed at Rick and said "Hey did you know that we're both skydivers."
Come to find out she had made two whole tandems, but she considered herself just as much a skydiver as a man with 12,000 jumps.

"Once you have gone to your bank,,, and have withdrawn ALL the money that is in it..........:o
in order to pay for gear or for your training,, or your USPA / FAI membership/lic.;);)
then.... you qualify as a skydiver" :ph34r::)
jmy

Holy Shit !!

Thats me .............must be a skydiver :P :P

"Once you have gone to your bank,,, and have withdrawn ALL the money that is in it..........:o
in order to pay for gear or for your training,, or your USPA / FAI membership/lic.;);)
jmy

I am a skydiver with 0 jumps B|
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

When I had just started my girlfriend wouldn't say that that I was a skydiver until I finished AFF. I agree that the A license Idea is a good way to define it, because after the A license you can do pretty much anything...within reason ofcourse. but you can't get mad at the people that claim to be skydivers after doing a tandem. They don't know any better.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

jmy

Or when you're so broke that you'll rent out your body in exchange for jump tickets :o

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

Or when you're so broke that you'll rent out your body in exchange for jump tickets :o

.....well... depending on what you're renting it out FOR...:o
that could be a win/win situation ;)B|:)
... in reality though.. you ARE a skydiver if you constantly notice things like wind,, or cloud ceiling, or look up in the air ANY time you
hear a plane, ( and wait to hear it's "cut" )..
Or when you skip lunch 4 times a week to "save for a lift ticket"...
or when you "suddenly don't NEED that new car" cause you're saving for a rig....:)
signed, jimmy "been there done that" tavino

Or when you skip lunch and breakfest to "save for a lift ticket"...and eat generic pot pies for dinner becasue you have it worked out how many you have to eat for that 8 cents savings to amount to one jump

Fixed it for ya
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

hahaha thanks.....:)mmmmmmmmm pot pies :)
love 'em.... shouldn't eat 'em....but can't resist every once in a while......
And when I do,, I go big!!! I go for the ones with top crust AND bottom crust;)
mm mmm good...
What IS the meat that they put in those things???? usually tastes like beef or chicken or turkey flavored rubber..:S:P:);)
Still if it gets you an extra lift ticket or two, then you ARE a skydiver :)Oh..lisamariewillbe I worked it our for ya... You'd have to eat 240 + of those bad boys @ 8cents each
to add up to 20 bucks.....only THEN you'll have to upsize your canopy by 2 or 3 sizes...:ph34r:[:/]B|:)

Or when you skip lunch and breakfest to "save for a lift ticket"...and eat generic pot pies for dinner becasue you have it worked out how many you have to eat for that 8 cents savings to amount to one jump

Fixed it for ya

Yeah, my diet is sandwiches and whey formulas....
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

... in reality though.. you ARE a skydiver if you constantly notice things like wind,, or cloud ceiling, or look up in the air ANY time you
hear a plane, ( and wait to hear it's "cut" )..
Or when you skip lunch 4 times a week to "save for a lift ticket"...
or when you "suddenly don't NEED that new car" cause you're saving for a rig....:)

yes, I am doing all those things... saving every single penny to be able to afford all the jumping I wanna be doing this summer...
so do I still qualify? with just 2 jumps?
it's a weird situation when one has very few jumps but is quite obsessed with the sport, because one feels like being called a skydiver because one feels a lot different than all the 100% whuffos around, although compared to the "real" skydivers one still is a bit of a whuffo...

My first time out of a plane was in September 2005, it was a tandem (the one and only one I will ever do) I have completed the AFF course at my DZ, so I do get to jump solo. I am at a jump count of 15. (yes, I know......this number is insignificant to anyone with 50 or more) I am current and intend to stay current until winter breaks here in Colorado at which time I can hammer on my "A." I have spent over $2500.00 on this new addiction and I am not going to stop anytime soon. I will be a partying mofo when I do get my "A" but until then I do not consider myself a "skydiver" but I am committed to becoming one! Once I achieve this goal of obtaining my "A," I believe I will have earned the right to call myself a skydiver. :$
~~~>

this number is insignificant to anyone with 50 or more

Dude are you kidding me??? You have 15 skydives , THATS something... Im at 59 and to me it is insignificant to anyone with over 100 but jeesh 15 is 15 dont down play your goals and your numbers... its a process that takes time
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this