SniperCJ

"Pit Bull" takes Westminster Dog Dhow!

Not to start a dispute, lest this congratulatory post be moved to Speakers, but...

'Pit Bull' is not a Breed of dog per se, rather a collection of different breeds linked by their common past of 'bull baiting' and dog fighting.

'Pit Bulls' include American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, American Bulldogs, Dogo Argentinos, and yes, the Bull Terrier.

Straight from one of many web sites devoted to Bull Terriers:

"In 1830, when combats between Bulldogs and bulls were at there height, lovers of this "sport" decided to create a dog that would attack even more agilely. By crossing the Bulldog with the Old English Terrier and adding a bit of Spanish Pointer blood, they came up with the Bull Terrier. However, Bull Terriers were not the most successful fighters."

Point taken. The demonized breed is indeed known as the American Pit Bull Terrier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier

Versus the breed that won, the same as Spuds McKenzie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Terrier

They're distinct, but close.

...But I still prefer Dachshunds. "Klaus, fetch me a Warsteiner!"
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Like already stated english bull terriers are not pit bulls....and are not included in the several breeds loosely classfieds at pit bulls. I've always wanted one but they are suposed to be hell to train...

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "