Mozencrath

Anyone have info about Manta's

I have a canopy made by Glidepath who I guess is now Flight Concepts. It's a Manta....The warning lable is located at the attachment point on the canopy...MFD 1991 but has no size! I am assuming that Glidepath Manta's came in one size?

Does anyone have more info about these ancient canopies?

The 1991 is going to be 0-3 cfm fabric (AKA F-111, non-zp) and 288 sq. ft. The hybrid and zp versions and different sizes that were calle manta came later.

As slot said, common student canopies or 1990's canopies for big guys. I had one for a while after busting my leg up bad. But between the Manta and a Sabre 190, when I wanted a guarenteed soft landing I grabbed the Sabre.

I have a mostly worn out manta in my stash of stuff.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

:)
Ah! The venerable Manta 288!! Served me and many many many students well at the DZ I learned at. I even was able to buy THE specific Manta 288 I did my 1st static line jump on from the (then) DZO for scrap who owned it years after I had jumped it and after it was removed from service. I remembered which one it was specifically because I continued jumping at that DZ for years after going through student status there AND because it was an all white Manta 288 (rather than the all red or all blue ones you see more often) AND it had a Matilda Bay (rum) logo painted on it. ;)

Yeah... tows behind a pick-up... would have thought Darwinism would have taken care of that by now.

nah, we only do it if the winds are high enough to prevent us from jumping and to keep the person aloft without forward motion...:)
=========Shaun ==========

Yeah... tows behind a pick-up... would have thought Darwinism would have taken care of that by now.

nah, we only do it if the winds are high enough to prevent us from jumping and to keep the person aloft without forward motion...:)

Oh, well, then, nothing could possibly go wrong with that!

:D

:P

What do they go for nowadays?

I have no idea... the one I "bought"... I think I paid the DZO $20 plus a case of Miller High Life for it.

So it would have been free if you hadn't made him take the Miller off your hands, eh?;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What do they go for nowadays?

I have no idea... the one I "bought"... I think I paid the DZO $20 plus a case of Miller High Life for it.

So it would have been free if you hadn't made him take the Miller off your hands, eh?;)

No... this guy actually likes Miller High Life... no kiddin'. The $20 was for his wife to go buy a case of Moose Piss... I mean Moosehead.

No... this guy actually likes Miller High Life... no kiddin'. The $20 was for his wife to go buy a case of Moose Piss... I mean Moosehead.

Hey Hey.......Do not ever talk of Miller CRAP and a fine beer like Moosehead in the same sentence again. >:(

And to keep on topic...hard to beat a Manta...even the worst students can land them :)

* pulls out lawn chair and cooler full of beer to sit down and watch *

Move over - I wanna watch 2!

OTOH I 'm not THAT keen on the sound and sight of someone femuring in sideways. The last guy I saw screamed like a wounded pig all the while untill the ambulance arrived.

I'll sit this one out in the comfort of my office, thank you...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I never realised what a heap of junk the Manta i was jumping was until i got on a Navigator.

I actually remember thinking "ah..so thats that flare thing the instructors keep talking about"

More holes than a tea bag. :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

never realised what a heap of junk the Manta i was jumping...

Umm, specifics about the particular Manta you may have jumped withstanding... yeah... a big docile canopy that saved your life, returning you to the ground safely while on student status, yep, that warrants calling it a heap of junk.

:S