TheBile

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!"

WKRP's Thanksgiving Fiasco Radio Show.
The "Turkey Drop" Promotion From 1978

This quote is from the “WKRP in Cincinnati” episode where Station Manager, Arthur Carlson, arranged to have live turkeys dropped from a helicopter as an advertising stunt.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be a serious miscalculation. The poor birds plunged to earth, never even having a chance. Their tragic "last flight" was relayed to WKRP listeners by reporter Les Nessman :

“It's a helicopter, and it's coming this way. It's flying something behind it, I can't quite make it out, it's a large banner and it says, uh - Happy... Thaaaaanksss... giving! ... From ... W ... K ... R... P!! No parachutes yet. Can't be skydivers... I can't tell just yet what they are, but - Oh my God, Johnny, they're turkeys!! Johnny, can you get this? Oh, they're plunging to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just went through the windshield of a parked car! Oh, the humanity! The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! Not since the Hindenberg tragedy has there been anything like this!”

:D:D:D
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Good story and a "great" image... but I doubt the radio report would have really included the phrase "oh the humanity..."

Yes, it did. Really. I still piss myself laughing at that episode ... and the one with Johnny taking the 'imapired reaction time test' ...well and most of the rest of them, too.

-Chyy Chyy Rod-ri-gweez indeed!

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Good story and a "great" image... but I doubt the radio report would have really included the phrase "oh the humanity..." :D

Yes it did. When the Hindenburg disaster occurred, WLS reporter Herbert Morrison was doing a live radio broadcast. Even though he was in shock at what he was seeing, he kept talking, describing what was occurring. If you google for it, you can find the audio online.

When Les Nesman does his narration of the turkey drop, he is mimicing the style and emotion of Morrison's 1937 radio report, even including the verbatim phrase "oh the humanity".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I know the R101 disaster involved the phrase - thats why I didn't think it would be repeated as because of the infamy of that broadcast it's now totally cliche.

I didn't realise that the WKRP show was a fiction - I thought the posting related to a reportedly real event and thus I didn't buy it.

Yes it did. When the Hindenburg disaster occurred, WLS reporter Herbert Morrison was doing a live radio broadcast. Even though he was in shock at what he was seeing, he kept talking, describing what was occurring.

I believe he was also fired for losing his composure as a news man. I guess he was the unwitting father of tabloid tv journalism.

Here in Cincinnati, people still make jokes about the "flying" turkeys.

I think that episode might have been the only one actually filmed in Cincinnati. I could be wrong, though. (The opening credits were filmed here too.)

Oh, and here's some mildly interesting trivia -- the radio station building in the show is the building my company used to be in. (We moved a couple years ago to a bigger and better place.)