SlashDog

Legstrap Bungee

I'm interested in opinions on the legstrap bungee that "keeps you from sitting out of your harness". I imagine it would be most relevant in a premature deployment if your were sit or backflying. Have people really fallen out of their harnesses? I've seen people wearing these but I've also heard that it was a silly thing to worry about. I did a search on this in the forums but didn't find anything I was searching "legstrap bungee".

-Spence

If you have a properly fit harness, and you wear it correctly that bungee is not needed.

They are helpful when the harness is not properly fitted, as they help to hold the leg straps in place.

The bungee would NOT keep you in the harness by it's self during a premature deployment as it would not withstand the load. It does however help to keep the leg straps positioned correctly so that they may take the load and the bungee is never put to the test.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Thanks. That's a very articulate answer and I jives with what I have heard. I just got a new rig. I'll ask my rigger to check the fit for me.
-Sp

a seatbelt may not always save your life, but most of us sure as hell wear it and feel good about it. Extra protection never heard anyone.

The only gripe I have is people who attach them permanently with knots. I prefer rapide link on at least one side for easy removal - this way you can take it off within seconds for suits that you need to wear OVER the staps (wingsuits, etc).

The only gripe I have is people who attach them permanently with knots. I prefer rapide link on at least one side for easy removal - this way you can take it off within seconds for suits that you need to wear OVER the staps (wingsuits, etc).

Perhaps those people have no intention of going wingsuiting in those rigs? (incl me...) Gripe away!

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

If I put my leg straps down by my knees I can pull my rig off of me in 1 quick motion. There's a video around somewhere of someone else doing it.

It's a custom built Mirage, but maybe they did the measurements wrong. Don't know. When I used to FF a bungee helped keep the straps near my ass, where they work best. Now that I only wingsuit it's sort of a moot point.

Yup, it's been shown many times (and I've tried it myself) that a properly fitting rig can come right off with the main out of it (like during a premature opening in a sit). I haven't heard of it ever happening, but its kinda scary how easy it is to do on the ground.

Dave

If you have a properly fit harness, and you wear it correctly that bungee is not needed.

They are helpful when the harness is not properly fitted, as they help to hold the leg straps in place.

that's too much of a blanket statement. All harness's fit everyone just a little different. Mine's made to fit me & the leg straps would still occasionally migrate w/o it. For some, it may be needed regardless, for others (even w/ poorly fitted gear) it may not.
my pics & stuff!

If you must have a bungee, your rig doesn't fit right. Possibly your container is to short for your back causing the lateral band to be too high. You cannot rely on a non structural piece of bungee to save you IMO. Maybe Jan's solution is best, and we should go back to a solid saddle type harness.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Your comment is that everyone's body type is generic and that's just not so. We all bend and move differently. I'm not counting on the bungie to save me, I'm counting on it to keep the leg straps from occasionally sliding down my leg. I'm not worried about falling out of my rig.
my pics & stuff!