sundevil777

Snowboarders don't appreciate aerodynamics

They wear very loose, floppy clothing!

I know they aren't going tremendously fast, but every little bit helps. Even the cross country skiers wear tight suits, maybe not for aero reasons really, but it is a side benefit. The skaters wear tight suits...

Not very smart, in my opinion.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

what kinda snowboarding? I wear baggy cloths while snowboarding but im not trying for speed or anything im bustin out on the park

Of course I'm relating this to the events in the Olympics, the snowboard-cross in particular. It is a race. They bother to get low at some points, but with ridiculously baggy clothes on.

Even the half pipe, they benefit if they keep their speed up.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Give them some time...Snowboarding is still growing. Right now it is still in the "Trendy" stage. Once they start being taken truely seriously things will change.

They are kind of like the Freeflyers of Alpine sports. B|

I remember when it was not cool as a Freeflyer to dirt dive ;) It was all about being "Free" and doing what you want blahblahblah. Now they have taken things to such a point that Dirtdiving is needed, and they are doing amazing things.

Anyway, boarders have been in the mainstreem for a bit now, and coming much further forward, which also means that it will become more competitive, and the "Fashion" portion will fade abit in the competition areas.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I agree with you that they should tighten up the clothing a bit on the boarder cross. When you're hauling ass snowboarding, you can feel the drag from your clothes (it reminds me of skydiving:D).

I don't think it matters in the halfpipe though, but the whole "trend" is just part of the snowboarding culture...it's like skydiving and beer.

I don't think it matters in the halfpipe though, but the whole "trend" is just part of the snowboarding culture...it's like skydiving and beer.

*Imagines gymnasts doing floor routine in a freefly suit :D
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

no it really dosent matter espically in superpipe.....you can get all the speed you need wearing baggy cloths. and i dont really think snowboarding is in a "trendy" stage. Its been around long enough. Places like big bear and mammoth have snowboarders outnumber skiers like 50 to 1.

no it really dosent matter espically in superpipe.....

They would have a little bit more speed. How much? It would be interesting to experiment. If a world class half piper were offered a different wax for their board that would give them 1/2 mph more speed with no drawback, do you think they would deny themselves that 1/2 mph? It might be maybe 2% more speed going into their first big trick. Why deny yourself that 2%?

But the loose pajama look is more cool.

no it really dosent matter espically in superpipe.....you can get all the speed you need wearing baggy cloths. and i dont really think snowboarding is in a "trendy" stage. Its been around long enough. Places like big bear and mammoth have snowboarders outnumber skiers like 50 to 1.

You see this is where I beg to differ...currently the athletes are more worried about looking "cool" then getting the job done the most effective way possible ;)

It is still in its trendy stage...it is still young. Fashion is still taking priority over function :P I didnt mean that the sport itself is trendy, im sure it is here to stay, what I mean is that it is still new, and young...there will come a time when riders are more worried about function then fashion ;) at least at the competition level.
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

the thing is pros are already pushing themselves to the limit without even going top speed into the pipe (if ya notice they do a little speed check on the way into the pipe). To go top speed into a super pipe would be damn near suicidal! but hey what do i know....im not a pro snowboarder or anything, far from it
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Yep, no one said those guys are the brightest. Kind of like that one broad who couldn't land a fucking method! Apparently she's a pro...I've seen 7 yr olds better then her. Even though it was so incredibly easy to land (yet she still fucked it up), it was still a dumb idea considering she had the race in the bag. I can't help but laugh my ass off at her and hope she's kicking herself for the rest of her life.

the thing is pros are already pushing themselves to the limit without even going top speed into the pipe (if ya notice they do a little speed check on the way into the pipe).

You make sense about the entry speed, they don't seem to be going as fast as they could, but they certainly do run low on speed later, the commentators like to say whether they got a 'good pump' to keep their speed up.

Yeah I love riding too, but there's a difference b/w eating it just screwin around in Vail and eating it when you had 1st place guaranteed, and then thought it'd be cool to do something (not to mention not being able to land something like that is pretty ridiculous...considering she's a "pro"). Either way, you'd care, even though you say wouldn't now. It's human nature to want to win.

You've only seen the half pipe and boarder X. If you watch the slalom event you'll see they wear the same suits and are just a aerodynamic as the downhillers.;)

I didn't realize they had a snowboard slalom event, very cool. I think they should also do the high speed type of events like the skiers. Is there something about snowboards that makes this not practical?

My kids are good boarders, for my opinion on boards (at least on the subject of me using one of those things):

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1398950#1398950

not at all. Its just that snowboarding has always been about style and going big on jumps. They lose speed in the pipe because it gets very tiering trying to pump off the walls. Ever tried it? Sure is a workout!
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

They are kind of like the Freeflyers of Alpine sports. B|

I remember when it was not cool as a Freeflyer to dirt dive ;) It was all about being "Free" and doing what you want blahblahblah. Now they have taken things to such a point that Dirtdiving is needed, and they are doing amazing things.

Anyway, boarders have been in the mainstreem for a bit now, and coming much further forward, which also means that it will become more competitive, and the "Fashion" portion will fade abit in the competition areas.

well, still dont dirt dive when freeflying, just think that is way to far inside the box. yeap, there are actually us out there who are still free.

well, still dont dirt dive when freeflying, just think that is way to far inside the box. yeap, there are actually us out there who are still free.

You keep doing that and come tell us how it works out for ya.:P

Being outside the box is dirt diving what seems to be impossible to do, and so difficult to visualize that you need to use dolls to figure out how it will work out.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham