AirPilot

Proper Size Canopy....!

In no way I could give you a professional opinion, but my guess nonetheless would be a Spectre 170 - 190, with your amount of jumps and needs

My previous canopy was a Spectre 170 and I absolutely loved it: very predictable and slow, soft openings, great precision landing (smoothest landings I've ever had! started braking high and pulled fully before touchdown, it was feather-like).
Only (very big) disadvantage was absolutely no wind penetration. I almost felt going backwards with moderate up wind.

Thanks for the chart, but how do I figure "exit weight" vs body weight?
Also this chart does not consider wind conditions?

Adding 20, 25 pounds for kit is probably about right.

The chart doesn't consider wind conditions because wind conditions shouldn't be a priority in choosing a safely sized canopy. Choose the canopy that you can handle, not the one with loads of forward speed for great penetration.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Add about 20 - 25 Lbs. to body wait for exit weight (rig/helmet/Suit Etc.). You should probally be looking for a 170. I jump a Sabre 2, and like it alot. I own new gear, but if that is a problem for you then you should get something used to get you started. About wind, you should not be jumping in to high of wind. My personal limit is 24 MPH, but you should make your own limit up. Say maybe 20 MPH or less. Jumping in windy conditions only presents more problems. But most important talk to the exp. jumpers/instructors who know you best.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

need precision landings, soft openings, and soft landings, and must operate in 10 to 20 mph wind

You do realize that most of this is dependent on your packing and canopy piloting skills, right?
Why don't you just play 'chicken' on the railroad tracks? It would be a cheaper way to toy with death, I'm sure.

CWR #2 - "You SAID collision!"

Thanks...does not seem like 20 lbs. on my back.

Wind is a factor where I jump, on the shore of Lake Erie, the wind is always 10-20 mph.

Is precision effected by canopy size or design ?

Have you talked to your instructors at all. They may be better at answering this question for you - they know your skill level as well as the conditions that you are jumping in. Take a canopy control course once you figure all of this out as well.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Is precision effected by canopy size or design ?

Yes. 9 cells have more forward speed (and thus, wind penetration)
A 7 cell has less forward speed, so you can pinpoint a target better.
Size just will matter only because of the increased response and vertical speed on same-type canopies.

Demo a Spectre 170, you won't regret that canopy.

Yes. 9 cells have more forward speed (and thus, wind penetration)
A 7 cell has less forward speed, so you can pinpoint a target better.
Size just will matter only because of the increased response and vertical speed on same-type canopies.

Nine cells do not "have more forward speed" than 7 cells. They have a flatter glide slope.

A good canopy pilot can put any canopy exactly where they want to, regardless of wind conditions. It has nothing to do with how many cells the canopy has. It has everything to do with the skill set of the pilot.

If wind is not a factor in choosing an airplane to fly ,why should it be one in choosing a canopy to fly?

Precision landings come with experience and understanding canopy flight. Any canopy can be landed on a dime, some just take more experience then others.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Judging from all the rigs this guy is buying sight unseen off the internet he is obviously ready for a 117... something hot! ;)

Or a tandem canopy... I haven't made up my mind yet. :D

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P