tkhayes

John O'Donnell - Z-Hills local killed in accident

I remember him as a nice guy who ALWAYS had a smile on his face.

You have put your finger on a defining characteristic.
I can't say that about a lot of people, but John always had a smile.

On a hot, August day in Florida, John would say, "C'mon, let's do one more..."

Contagious enthusiasm.

What terrible terrible news.....John was a hell of a guy.

I am upset that the last few times I was at the DZ that I didn't jump with him. I always was in the middle of something and would say....next time John......

I guess that this is just a reminder of the fact that tomorrow may never come. Live life today!!!!!!! and embrace your friends, fellow skydivers and loved ones!!!!

Blue Skies John......next jump is for you!!!!!!!

Scarlett

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

TK and the crew at Z-Hills. May heart dropped when I saw the picture posted. My deepest condolences to all of Johns family and friends. I got my "A" license at Z-Hills on 5/29/05. John jumped with me the next day it was my FIRST R/W jump. I told him I had just got my license and he didn't even care he jumped with me anyway. We got 5 points on the dive. John signed my logbook. I told everybody about it.......I was so excited. I hope that like John I never get to the point where Im "too" good to jump with a newbie. That's how I'll remember him.

Blue Skies John

"If a thousand people agree on a dumb ideal, it's STILL a dumb ideal."

Skully Bro #1 - POPS# 10440

We were together with John nearly every weekend for the last few years, sharing skydives, dinners, partys and just hanging out. Our little group Andrea and Alexis, Keith, Igor, Hans/JRAF, Alysse and I hanging out at Janines after a day of jumping.....
Did 4 way, sitfly, magic carpets and other fun jumps....

Thanks to everyone who called me today, John had lots of friends and we will also miss seeing Lady sitting under our feet at the bomb squad table eagerly waiting for John to land....I am so glad that he was able to see his article and photos in the recent Parachutist, he was really becoming a great skydive photographer....

Blue Skies, John!

Blue skies. Heal well, all. :(

Please don't start wishing ill on the man that hit him; cop or not, he may not be at fault. It's a horrible thing that happened for sure, but you'll only hurt yourselves further by trying to affix blame, as human a reaction as it may be...[:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

john you will be sorely missed my brother , i still remember your arm being used for a rack to show off items for sale after you broke it i feel for johnns family and i know lady misses him terribly they were a constant site together over the years always a big ole lopsided grin on his face and haveing fun . john we will miss you
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

That's tragic and sad. I'm sorry to hear that. Blue skies, John, and my condolences to his friends and family. :(

At least it is clear that he left behind things that people can remember him fondly for. Let's be glad for that.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

just wanted to bump this up with the information on john's memorial. i just found out from a friend that we're gathering around 10-ish and john's family (parents/sister) should be at the dz on saturday morning around 11-ish. it'd be nice for them to see what sort of extended family john has in the skydiving community....

i'm sure zhills will give john a pretty memorable going away party... bring your stories and your drinkin' hat and a bit fat dose of "him! him!" (and maybe a cow video).

i just found out from a friend that we're gathering around 10-ish and john's family (parents/sister) should be at the dz on saturday morning around 11-ish.

Unfortunately I am unable to attend because of my Military Duties. What a quandry. [:/]:(

it'd be nice for them to see what sort of extended family john has in the skydiving community....

Please be sure to give the family and everyone else my best.

Make sure there are lots of pictures so that I can feel like I am there.

I will be in spirit. :)
Take Care John and See Ya on the Other End.

BLUE SKIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith (KRAMER!)

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

The first time I met John, he shook my hand and invited me to do a two-way. There's few people that you meet in life that make you instantly feel welcome...John was one of these people.

We'll miss you John and won't forget you.

This still sucks!
A lot of us were in Puerto Rico for the boogie when we got the news...needless to say it had an impact on the week there.
Back at Z-Hills this weekend and I missed him!

Can someone put the memorial web site address up here please?!?!?

Blue skies John...I miss jumping with you!

[:/][:/][:/]

I went to Zhills this past weekend and it's just not the same for me without having John's big welcoming smile and humor. I knew I never had to do solo freefly jumps as long as John was there. I feel the void without him for sure. Miss him so much.