moto89

Jedei loaded at 1.14?

Looking to see if anyone has experience with a Jedei loaded at or around this wingloading... I'm needing to buy a canopy (still jumping a loaned Silhouette), and have found a very good deal on a Jedei. Just trying to get an idea of how aggressive this canopy would be. I've talked to a number of instructors who know me and my flying well as well as my S&TA who have all said that they believe it is an appropriate loading for me, but I don't know much about the jedei and there is no info on it in the gear section of this site.

Thanks for any info, I appreciate any input here guys!
Less talking, more flying.

Brian had been refering all of his relines to Paragone rigging in Zhills for the Jedei's a while ago. I'd contact Sally Hathaway and see if she still is doing them.

I loved my Jedei. I only sold it to upgrade to my Sam. The canopy flies a bit more aggressive then a similar sized Stiletto. At 100 jumps I'd really think twice about it. Ask your instructors if they think you would be fine under a Stiletto, if they say no then you are not ready for the Jedei.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm pretty sure the Jedei is Brian Germain's first shot at a fully elliptical airlock canopy that is kind of old technology.
In other words forget it at any wingloading without several hundred more jumps.
Stick with something not elliptical like a Sabre 2 or Safire or Spectre. The Aerodyne Pilot is nice as well. If you want an airlock then check out the Lotus by Bigair Sportz. (That's Brian's company)
Anybody here is going to steer you very far away from anything other than a docile lightly loaded modern design given your limited experience.
Good luck.

fully elliptical airlock canopy that is kind of old technology.

Ok, but it also spawned a few really sweet canopies. The Katana is based on the Jedi's airfoil. Same with the Sam. The vengence was built on the airlock technology. The Sigma tandem main took some design aspects from it as well. I'm sure there are others that are out there that are based or grew from the Jedi that I don't know about.

Just because something is old, it doesn't mean that it isn't still a quality product. The Jedi is still a hot-shit canopy, definitely not for the lower jump numbers out there. Even loaded at 1.14:1.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

fully elliptical airlock canopy that is kind of old technology.

Ok, but it also spawned a few really sweet canopies. The Katana is based on the Jedi's airfoil. Same with the Sam. The vengence was built on the airlock technology. The Sigma tandem main took some design aspects from it as well. I'm sure there are others that are out there that are based or grew from the Jedi that I don't know about.

Just because something is old, it doesn't mean that it isn't still a quality product. The Jedi is still a hot-shit canopy, definitely not for the lower jump numbers out there. Even loaded at 1.14:1.

Yea you're right dave. What I meant about old technology is that Brian has replaced the Jedei with the Samurai because of the idiosyncrosies with the Jedei.
B|:P

I'm pretty sure the Jedei is Brian Germain's first shot at a fully elliptical airlock canopy that is kind of old technology.
In other words forget it at any wingloading without several hundred more jumps.
Stick with something not elliptical like a Sabre 2 or Safire or Spectre. The Aerodyne Pilot is nice as well. If you want an airlock then check out the Lotus by Bigair Sportz. (That's Brian's company)
Anybody here is going to steer you very far away from anything other than a docile lightly loaded modern design given your limited experience.
Good luck.

Almost :) the Jedei was preceded by the Tomcat - pretty much the same thing sans the airlocks. I would say at 71 jumps a 1.14 loaded Jedi will be an accident waiting to happen, no matter what your skillset is. Experience and currency cannot be natural, they are earned through ... experience :)

good luck to the OP

Thanks for the input guys. I don't think I'm going to go for the deal. Part of me would like to buy it and keep it in the closet for a couple hundred jumps, but the temptation would probably be overwhelming.

I do NOT have my heart set on an elliptical pocket rocket. Quite the contrary. It's just the Sabre 2/Pilot/Safire 2's that I'm really looking for are so so so expensive. It seemed like this was such a good deal, but I know it's not worth risking my well being over a few hundred dollars. The search goes on for a comparably sized tapered wing....

It was this excerpt (last line) taken from Big Air Sportz' website in regard to the Samurai that had me thinking.

"We steer experienced and aggressive pilots toward the 1.5 to 1.8 lbs/sf (many pilots are comfortable above 2.0lbs/sf). Intermediate and conservative pilots toward the 1.3 - 1.5 range. They have even been used by inexperienced jumpers at very low wing-loadings... Ultimately, wing-loading is a matter of preference and experience."

It was this excerpt (last line) taken from Big Air Sportz' website in regard to the Samurai that had me thinking.

"We steer experienced and aggressive pilots toward the 1.5 to 1.8 lbs/sf (many pilots are comfortable above 2.0lbs/sf). Intermediate and conservative pilots toward the 1.3 - 1.5 range. They have even been used by inexperienced jumpers at very low wing-loadings... Ultimately, wing-loading is a matter of preference and experience."

in my experience the Samurai is LESS aggressive than a Jedei.

And poster above is right, Tomcat ->Jonathan ->Jedei . I wouldn't recommend none of these canopies to a beginner.

Or NOT:S:P

Oh sorry, I forgot, Sabre2's and every other canopy are immune to hard openings :D.

what he said.

my sabre1 has never smacked me, love the canopy! and i got the whole package for a good price too!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda