Belldemon

Good starter goggles?

Ok,

So I was going to buy a logbook and cover from para-gear.com and it appears that they have a $25 order minimum. Since my logbook and cover did not come up to more than $25 I figured I might buy a good starter set of googles. My question is two part and I think I know the answer to the first one:

1.) If I am going to do a tandem this May will the DZ let me wear my own goggles?
(My guess at the answer: Depends on the DZ and/or contact the DZ)

2.) Can anyone recommend a decent pair of goggles that will not break the bank.

I realize that the second question is a bit subjective. However, I'm looking at anywhere from $5.00 to $25.00 and I'll probably upgrade when possible.

It does not necessarily have to be a pair that Para-Gear sells as I do not necessarily have to buy from para-gear.

As a matter of fact I'm a bit turned off by the $25 minimum order limit.

You want clear goggles if you're going to do a FJC. If you have a small face you can't go wrong with Flex-Z mini, if you have a normal/larger face I'd recommend a normal size flex-Z. Don't know if paragear carries those, also be sure to check out square1.com

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The $25 minimum does make some sense. Order something cheaper from somewhere else and see what the shipping and handling charges are. You'll probably pay more for the shipping and handling than you will for the item. Minimum order value helps ensure cost-effective and viable shipping and handling practices.

I'm wondering why you're buying a log book if you're not jumping, yet. I'm sure you'll love skydiving, but why not wait until you know you want to take up the sport and know for sure before spending money on equipment. By that time, you will probably have a better idea of what's available and what you like, also.

If you're really hell-bent on buying yourself a logbook and some goggles, you can't go past Sorz. They're cheap and durable and while they're no gatorz, they still look reasonable.

If you just want a log book and cover, if you paypal me the money, I'll grab a book and log book cover from my dz and mail it to you. Of course if you're just getting the log book cover to help you get to your $25 minimum, I can just send you a log book too.

Give me a call at the dz this weekend (715-726-1616) if you're interested.

Also, I would suggest maybe waiting. Your dz should have log books to sell and you could just get one when you go back to jump.

Well, not that I'm bangin' on Para Gear or anything... but they are kind pricey for run of the mill stuff like log-books / covers, goggles, etc... so why are going to the trouble of ordering from Para Gear as opposed to picking stuff like this up at the store at what ever DZ you're going to?

Quite honestly, I just got some birthday money and it's burning a bit of a hole in my pocket.

For Brettski,
I've done two tandems and I should have clarified that I'm doing another this May and hope to begin AFF later this year.

As far as the $25 is concerned, it may be cost-effective, but it is still a bit of a turn off to the customer.

It's probably a good idea just to wait until I go to the DZ and see what they have available.

I've done two tandems and I should have clarified that I'm doing another this May and hope to begin AFF later this year.

Well what kind of logbook did that give you when you did those Tandem jumps? Did it have a place for more than one jump?

well, you might get a logbook and googles when you start your AFF. and maybe a packband with it. at least, so did i. if you got money burning a hole, get yourself a helmet, or better, an altimeter..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda