hobbes4star

Microsoft Vista

I just read a pretty good article on the new OS "vista" that is coming out. Anyone have any thoughts one way or another.
I will be one of the masses that run out to buy it as soon as it hits the shelves, I can’t wait to see all of the new features.
edit to add: if anyone would like to read the article http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ttpcworld/20060210/tc_techtues_pcworld/124642&cid=1740&ncid=1729
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

Standard new OS advice: Wait until the first point release (for Windows: SP1) has been released - usually 6 months to a year after the initial release - before installing it on a production system.

Particularly for any Microsoft system. They are quite fond of using paying customers as beta testers.

Walt

Standard new OS advice: Wait until the first point release (for Windows: SP1) has been released - usually 6 months to a year after the initial release - before installing it on a production system.

I actually remember running Windows Whistler "ok" B|

But anyway if microsoft wants me to upgrade my pc just to run their software...er..I wont:P
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Is Microsoft releasing another knockoff of MacOS already?

Tha tis what it looks like. Except is is not built off a strong existing code base (unix). Now that Mac OS runs on Intel chips, for the first time, I may actually THINK about getting one. :ph34r:
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I have actually been running a beta version on Vista for about 2 months now. They are putting the OS installation on a DVD since it is much larger now. I must say that I have not been very impressed so far. I am much happier with my Linux distro's that I have installed and run quite often. I have a Myth TV pc running Fedora Core 4 and another personal PC just running Ubantu. LOVE IT! I love open source much better than MS. Seems that they put out a version of Windows that users all over the world are forced to almost beta test a somewhat stable software while we find all the bugs and report it back to them. How many of you in your job could release a product with problems and potential bugs and still keep your job?

Blue Skies,
Jeremy

I will be interested to try it out. But I'm not gonna get rid of my XP-Pro disk anytime soon. Always wait till the first few waves of patches are over. Service Pack 2 of XP works pretty well...... So when will Service Pack 2 of Vista be available???? :S
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

Microsoft's is just worse than average.

Not true in the least. I have far more problems on a daily basis with other vendors products. Start factoring in the shear volume of usage and it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

MS aren't angels or flawless, that's for sure, but silly sweeping statements by zealots are often incorrect.

edit: I will say that opensource products TYPICALLY get their fixes to market faster but make no mistake there are plenty of fixes in both arenas.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer