baconwings

skyhook

OK, I've searched DZ.com and the RWS site, and I still have a question... Can the Skyhook be unhooked easily like an RSL can?

Also, I would like opinions on whether or not it is worth the money to get on a new rig. It seems pretty high-speed and I don't see anything that would suggest otherwise beside the price. Thanks.
I'll be whatever I want to do!

Yes, you can easily disconnect a Skyhook. Since Skyhooks are just fancy RSLs, all you need to to do is disconnect the stainless steel Swedish snap shackle on your right main riser.

However, the only circumstances - where I would disconnect a Skyhook - are landing in high winds, or water or maintenance.

Here's video of our camera guy's chop...

http://www.massdefiance.org/pics/ScubaChop.mp4

While some camera flyers will never jump with an RSL, our's does. He's got a very clean set-up and just has it ingrained in his procedures to make sure his helmet is clear before cutting away, if he's not 100% sure he's clear he'll chop his helmet. I keep my skyhooks connected on camera jumps as well - if you've every seen footage of a free bag bridal swimming around a burble, it should be enough to scare you... the skyhook might actually keep the reserve bridal more clear of your head than it would be without it.

Everyone's gotta way the risks and benefits for her/himself, but I think I'm safer with 'em connected.
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I hated to do it, but i finally disconnected my skyhook when i added a ringsight to my camera helmet. I don't remember hearing any camera entanglement stories, but there have been a lot of ringsight entanglements including fatalities. Skyhook got reconnected today before a 2000 foot hop n' pop though!

Dave

OK, I've heard this question debated:
What about -
- CReW?
- Camera w/ring-sight?

CRW: no skyhook or any other type of RSL. The jumper who cuts away due to wrap with another canopy needs time to separate from the mess by tracking before deploying a reserve.