Kid_Icarus

Ice Dancing and Curling...... come on....

Look, I'm sick of people knowckign curling. It's an awesome sport.

I'll trade you Curling and 3 down football for 4 downs. Curling is a lot like baseball when it comes to strategies during a slow paced game. I've never tried it (I like my sports at a faster pace), but I understand it's a real drinking game at the club level. But as I said, I'll give you Curling and 3 down football for that extra down. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

How can anyone question that Ice dancing is not a sport I do not know. They are athletes.

I was watching it last night and Sasha Cohen of the USA's performance was outstanding. To be able to do that with your body, put that amount of dedicatation it requires into a sport and get to that level, deserves respect.

I dare you to throw yourself around the ice like that and hold some of those body positions.

As for curling I have'nt watched it, a bit too slow for me, but still these people are at the top of their game, unlike the rest of us mere mortals. RESPECT.

Sasha Cohen is a figure skater, not an ice dancer. ;);) And she rocked her short program!

When I watch figure skating, I'm on the edge of my seat - especially during the first jump - and it really sucks when they fall (no matter what country).

In ice dancing though, there's a definite element of schadenfreude when they fall. I'm not sure why.

I'm also not sure what the flying hell most of them were thinking when they designed their costumes. :|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I am not debating that it is a sport. I am not debating that it is not extremely difficult. What I am questioning is that it SHOULD NOT BE AN OLYMPIC SPORT. Soon they're going to add shoveling, and ice fishing.... My point is would you watch ballroom dancing or bowling, in my view, the summer games equivalent of ice dancing and curling. I think not. I think most people would bitch. So i am bitching now.:P

Sasha Cohen is a figure skater, not an ice dancer

Thanks for putting me straight there. I am one of life's simpletons and I just call people like her, "Ice skaters" normally, like I used to call skydivers "fruitjobs", before I realised there was more to it than that.;)

And she rocked her short program!

Could'nt agree with you more there!

In ice dancing though, there's a definite element of schadenfreude when they fall. I'm not sure why

WOW! I'm not too sure I go there, but Maybe if I watch a bit more of it in the future I might think "fall you bastard....Fall!!!!" whilst choking on my kitkat:|

I'm also not sure what the flying hell most of them were thinking when they designed their costumes.

My husband really likes the ladies costumes. Can't think why.:P But yeh, I think whoever designed most of them could do with being taken around the back and shot.

am not debating that it is a sport. I am not debating that it is not extremely difficult. What I am questioning is that it SHOULD NOT BE AN OLYMPIC SPORT. Soon they're going to add shoveling, and ice fishing.... My point is would you watch ballroom dancing or bowling, in my view, the summer games equivalent of ice dancing and curling. I think not. I think most people would bitch. So i am bitching now.

In my mind anything that requires such athletic skills and physical capabitlities as is demonstrated in Ice Dancers/figure skaters etc is definately up for the Olympics, period.

Over here, when I was watching the half pipe, the more serious presenters were almost taking the piss out of it, like "oh it's such a new sport and what a strange bunch they all are, now here is some real sport - the downhill" and not really bigging it up for what it is, some really talented individuals being given a chance to shine. We all have our thing I guess.:|

But to put even Ice Dancing in the same sentence as ballroom dancing (which is a very skilled thing and something I could never do), is a bit daft really.

I think they should make skydiving an olympic sport. Oh I forgot it is only morons and bird shit that falls out of the sky.:P:P

Sasha Cohen is a figure skater, not an ice dancer

Thanks for putting me straight there. I am one of life's simpletons and I just call people like her, "Ice skaters" normally, like I used to call skydivers "fruitjobs", before I realised there was more to it than that.;)

No problem - it's amazing how many different events there are. I normally just lump them together too.

In ice dancing though, there's a definite element of schadenfreude when they fall. I'm not sure why

WOW! I'm not too sure I go there, but Maybe if I watch a bit more of it in the future I might think "fall you bastard....Fall!!!!" whilst choking on my kitkat:|

I'm also not sure what the flying hell most of them were thinking when they designed their costumes.

My husband really likes the ladies costumes. Can't think why.:P But yeh, I think whoever designed most of them could do with being taken around the back and shot.

I'm not hoping for anyone to fall, not at all, it's just when they do, it's generally more spectacular with two people. :|

And the ladies' costumes are generally lovely - it's the pairs who try to get all 'creative' and 'funky' and end up looking like Abba or Rainbow Bright...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I'm not hoping for anyone to fall, not at all, it's just when they do, it's generally more spectacular with two people.

Phewee! But yes, I know what you mean about when the couples fall....it looks like a game of twister I played on a Friday night once, all legs and arms and no clue as to what the hell is going on. Spectacular!

it's the pairs who try to get all 'creative' and 'funky' and end up looking like Abba or Rainbow Bright...

Yep, but the English guy "Kerr" looked well fit in his black glitzy attire. I would not kick him out of bed for eating biscuits. Grrrrr.

Phewee! But yes, I know what you mean about when the couples fall....it looks like a game of twister I played on a Friday night once, all legs and arms and no clue as to what the hell is going on. Spectacular!

Except unlike your twister game, there's skate blades! Much more potential for carnage. And toe picks! (Rebecca will appreciate that one ;))
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Toe Piiick!

aaaahhh

(sorry, you scared me)

Why? You're still in possession of mine...didn't you get the memo?

It's just the phrase. Actually, this toepick isn't really me, it's pink, needs to be sharpened. Take it back, use it well and strategically.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Toe Piiick!

aaaahhh

(sorry, you scared me)

Why? You're still in possession of mine...didn't you get the memo?

It's just the phrase. Actually, this toepick isn't really me, it's pink, needs to be sharpened. Take it back, use it well and strategically.

You're resigning? You don't want to be Toepick Bearer to the Popular Girls? Weird. But I guess that's OK, since you can't even keep track of whose toepick is whose - mine is silver and ginsu sharp. :|

You're resigning? You don't want to be Toepick Bearer to the Popular Girls? Weird. But I guess that's OK, since you can't even keep track of whose toepick is whose - mine is silver and ginsu sharp. :|

I thought the title would be cool. But the duties are overwhelming.

wake the toepick
feed the toepick
reassure the toepick that it is wanted and needed
brush the toepick
shine the toepick
tell everyone where the toepick is and how it's doing
tuck the toepick in at night

it's NOT everything it was advertised to be

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i can't argue with ice dancing being a sport, but can someone please explain the athletic abilities you need for curling? maybe there are some that i have no clue about, but someone fill me in... i know you need strategy but knowing how to sweep a broom? my grandmother can do that...
in all seriousness though if they have snowboarding (which is legitimately in the olympics) why not have skating and dirt biking... granted i know there are the x-games... but they're just as tough no?
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Rock climbing was a demonstration sport this time. It's a major event in the world x-games.

There's only so many sports they can add to the olympics each year.

Give it time.

edit: sorry, 'curling abilities'-- er sliding, aiming, shouting, er sliding, scrubbing, sliding, not falling, shouting, did I mention it takes a LOT of concentration to stay awake that long, sliding, shouting "WHOA" "whoa, whoa, whoa, LEAVE IT"

actually, it looks like fun. Something to do with partially melted bowling balls while holding out on the ice for reinforcements. Good drinking game. But I don't see anyone having a heart attack from the game due to the exertion - but I don't think any skydiver can really mock another sport based on fitness, even curling. All activites are better done fit and the pros are healthy. But we also fall into the category that to be fit you must do something IN ADDTION to our chosen sport. (all athletes cross train, but some sports, just doing that activity would be enough to stay healthy at least)

> please explain the athletic abilities you need for curling?
Can you explain me the athletic abilities you need for:
1) gun/rifle shooting
2) bow shooting
3) sailing
4) wingsuit flying
5) "other"
I am averagely fit, and I can: gun/rifle shooting, bow shooting, sailing, "other" without particular problems.
It's a pity that:
1) I shoot 100 shots and perhaps 10 go within the target
2) I shoot 100 arrows and perhaps 10 go within the target
3) I can sail pretty well, but it's a pity everybody is overtaking me....
4) I flew my wingsuit "jolly good" since my first flight, it's a pity a flew it like crap...
I'll tell you what: to do all the above activities/sports at top level, you need SKILL.
Everybody can shoot (shots/arrows) but only few chaps in the world put 200 dead centers into the target.
Everybody can ride a sailing boat but very few in the world can trim the sails to go "that fast".
Every "expert" skydiver can fly a wingsuit, but flying a high performance wingsuit at its "best" glide ratio it's a matter of few people.
I can play soccer and I can score a goal at my first free kick, it's pity I shoot another 99 free kicks and either I got it "taken" by the goalkeeper or I shoot outside the net.....
Shall I continue?
There are a LOT of sports where the athleticism is not so impotant as the SKILL

> why not have skating and dirt biking...
It's simple: because the "politics" of Olympic Comittee states that "...for a new sport to get admitted to the Olympics it needs to be: practised by a huge population, have a huge public, whatever...".
Like it or not, what sport is into the Olympics, remains into the Olympics.
A new sport to get into the Olympics must fulfill "their" requirements

P.S.: By the way, I do not know what EXACTLY is "dirt biking" (I am not a native speaker) but downhill biking is an Olympic sport indeed!!!
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

I thought the title would be cool. But the duties are overwhelming.

wake the toepick
feed the toepick
reassure the toepick that it is wanted and needed
brush the toepick
shine the toepick
tell everyone where the toepick is and how it's doing
tuck the toepick in at night

it's NOT everything it was advertised to be

Well there's your problem right there - you're WAY overdoing it. In fact, that toepick's gonna be downright spoiled!

I generally keep it on strict diet of asshat nuts and Zambonie lube, with a weekly sharpen and buff session. That's it. Keeps it lean, hungry and good lookin'!

Anyone else want to apply? Proximity to me (one of the Popular Girls) is one of the many many perks that come with the job. Asshats are welcome, though there's a waiver to sign and one 'perk' that'll take getting used to...

Anyone else want to apply? Proximity to me (one of the Popular Girls) is one of the many many perks that come with the job. Asshats are welcome, though there's a waiver to sign and one 'perk' that'll take getting used to...

ooh ooh, me me. I have experience too.

{{This sounds too good to be true - wonder why the last guy gave it up?}}

hey i never agreed that i thought those "sports" were sports as opposed to hobbies that require skill... in my opinion the olympics are about athleticism which includes skill but is not limited to JUST skill

as far as skating and dirt biking go - tons of people do partake in them that is why they have the x-games... (dirt biking is the kind of riding seen in the x-games)

i don't want to get into some yucky debate because i want to keep the love here :) - you are entitled to your opinions as am i - i'm just saying that i do not see curling as a sport
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

> I'm just saying that I do not see curling as a sport
You can say anything you like, it doesn't count.
I can say anything I like, it doesn't count.
Yes, to practice curling does not require a great body but it indeed requires a lot of skill to win the gold medal, as well as it requires a LOT of skill to win the gold medal in rifle shooting or in bow shooting.
What counts in that matter is the Olympic Comittee.
Anyone of us can say "I want Xxxxx (=any sport of choice) in the Olympics!!!" but I am afraid there are certain rules for a new sport to get into the Olympics. And what is in, remains. Curling included.
And curling is an Olympic sport :)Yes, me too, I am not fond of curling, as well as I am not fond of a lot of other Olympic sports. But this does not mean I do not like to watch them on TV once in a while or that I do not respect the athlets that compete at top level (any activity/sport done at top world level deserves a lot of committment and a lot of sacrifice by its partecipants).
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com