RkyMtnHigh

Spider Bite

I'm on day 4 and there are two semetrical spots/bites...they aren't getting worse but they aren't healing either.

It's a vampire bite... you're fucked. ;)

Seriously though... what you described is a spider bite, not a fire ant bite (trust me I've had plenty of the latter). What flavor of spider is hard to say... but better to be safe than have your flesh start rotting off... which is no exaggeration with the more poisonous varieties.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

yeah, an ant bite typically has a "white head" pustoul, but only one, for each bite. not two side by side. and, a fire ant bite will itch and burn like hell, hench the name fire ant. dont be stupid, go to the ED now.

No dilly! ED=Emergency Department. They HATE being referred to as Emergency Room or ER

I don't give a flying bat fuck about their sensabilities-go see them now and make them fix you. Tell them that they don't want me to come down there!!
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

When fire ants bite, and then sting, you know it instantly and strip down to your underwear in a hotel parking lot without any consideration of who may see you. It's not graceful. The action is furious and to the point. Within a few seconds you are standing there in your underwear after flailing madly to get your clothes off and brush them off you.

It's not fire ants.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Katee, go to the doctor. NOW.

Totally agree! I've treated folks who have had brown recluse spider bites. Those who sought immediate treatment (including hyperbaric oxygen treatments too) lived. The one who sticks out in my mind, however, is the teacher who got bitten on the backs of both her calves. She waited, finally got treatment, and eventually died.

Yes, this is to scare you. This is absolutely nothing to play with! Do you value your leg? Do you value your life? Go to the doctor!!! NOW!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Google fire ant bites and look at the images

There is no mistaking the sensation of a fire ant bite and you know about it right away. Spiders bite, and you figure it out later. If you're in florida, it's not likely a Brown Recluse. They are not native to that area.

Spiders can be nasty ... the pain of an infection like a big swollen ankle is often minimal giving a false sense of being ok. You might be but the people suggesting you go get it looked at now are saying it for a reason.

Good luck. I hope it's minor.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Spiders bite, and you figure it out later. If you're in florida, it's not likely a Brown Recluse. They are not native to that area.

brown recluse are everywhere in georgia, Im sure they are in florida also.

My former landlord (here in DeLand) was bitten on his thigh (here in DeLand). He ended up with two huge side-by-side ulcerations that were quite deep.

They were ugly and they took forever to heal. He was in agony for a long time. Spider bites are not something to fuck with.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Holy cow...

I'm scared to say...it's probably OK[:/]

Yes, there are brown recluse spiders in Florida. I spent many summers at camp for 2-4 weeks at a time and hence learned about many different bites. Ha! The bugs always seem to want my sweet sugar.;)

But, as everyone else has said, it's important to have it looked at ASAP.

It's funny, I love spiders and I don't kill anything as a rule (except evil cockroaches). If there is a spider in the house, however, my hunny always screams "It's a recluse!" and goes for the shoe. :D:D:D He's not afraid of bugs, either, but it's all I can do to convince him to capture it, instead, and put it outside.

We have a lot of lizards and frogs outside and I have never sprayed for bugs (except your typical termite bond) b/c it's bad for the environment and my animals. The lizards, frogs & spiders must do a great job of keeping them under control b/c I NEVER see a bug in the house or have bug damage on my outside flowers.

We used ot have this HUGE banana spider I named Chiquita who formed a gigantic web in one of our trees up high. It was beautiful and she was gorgeous. I have a great picture I shot when the sun was glistening just right on the dew of her web and she was exactly centered in her creation. Spiders are great to have around b/c they eat flies and bugs you do NOT want around.

And that's my story...:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

and I thought that I was the only woman who harbored spiders...

Me too.

I love spiders, and I've allowed them to live unmolested in the house, because they keep other insects under control. (One of my daughter's many pets was a tarantula.)

They're also just so beautiful and clever, I cannot bear to seem them come to harm.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

More women should. Afterall, they make my favorite fabric....SILK;)

Their webs are truly magnificant creations.

Chiquita's web withstood hurricane-force winds. I was worried about her, but I don't generally disturb nature. During the storm, I looked for her and did not see her, but I saw a cocoon-like spot. I think she had wrapped herself up in it for protection. When the storm had passed, there she was again:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Chiquita's web withstood hurricane-force winds.

IIRC, spider silk still has the highest tensile strength of anything on the planet. Pretty cool that she withstood the hurricane. B|

Edit: OK maybe not the highest. But there's a really cool Wikipedia article about the properites of spider silk. B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon