EirAnne

BEWARE the MIRAGE M4 killer deals in classifieds

In the past few months there have been a few postings from Italy of ridiculously killer deals usually for almost new Mirage/PD reserve/Sabre 2 and Cypres 2 deals. Less than $2000 for everything. This has been discussed in depth on UKskydiver.co.uk and when contacted goes down the Western Union road. None of the people selling gear had any profile listed and when asked about local dz's and skydivers who could verify their identity, they could not come up with anything and did not return emails anymore.
There is now a posting from the UK, same MO and no user profile. The seller is asking $1850 for gear worth $4000.
PLEASE BEWARE.
If it looks like it is too good to be true, it probably is.
I have flagged with Sangiro.
Blue skies
Anne

my brother unforunately fell victim to this scam... and details on the guy doing it or any attempts to persecute with the local police? pm if youd like

Dude, CMON !

If something is too good to be true, it probably is. What kind of a person would bu such an idiot to sell $4K worth of gear for $1800 ?

Sorry to hear about your brother, but doubt there's any recourse, unless he wants to go to some distant African country and knock some heads.

This may make him feel better :
http://www.419eater.com/

What bums me out is that these people are most likely skydivers, or at least seem to know something about skydiving, else they wouldn't know the first thing about posting their "gear."

I have bought, sold, and helped many people buy their first rigs on DZ.com . Yes, it's riskty, but use a third party!!. As a Rigger, I am always happy to have people send me their gear for an inspection, after I've called their rigger and their DZO to make sure they are the real thing. Just take it slow and talk to people....
=========Shaun ==========

I am quite certain they are NOT skydivers. They pick up from the lingo used here and in the emails. If you note, there are alot of scams when they try to BUY your stuff - and when you answer their questions and give them all the pertinent info, they now have the canned answers. Like for example there was an M6 Mirage listed with a 143 reserve and a 170 main - I am guessing they just piece and parted the information available to them, not realizing or caring what M6 stands for.

Again, I encourage all to TALK ON THE PHONE. Globalization made the world a much smaller place, and anybody who can have a skyidving rig, has a way of talking on the phone. After all (and by god, this must be the 5th time i am typing this) - it's better to NOT get a good deal, then to be SCAMMED. If in doubt - just hold out :).

good luck all.