riggerrob

How many riggers still pack round reserves

(By the way, regarding pilot emergency rigs with lines in the pack tray: I don't know all the rigs well, but I think modern emergency rigs usually have full stow diapers. National, Butler, GQ, and Paraphernalia/FFE do it that way. Strong is a holdout with lines in the pack tray and a Type II line equalization diaper.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Type 2 diaper (only two or three rubber bands with the rest of the lines stowed in the pack tray) is far more reliable than Type 1 (all lines in the pack tray).

Only stowing a few lines on the diaper is more of a bulk distribution issue.
Strong likes to stow lines directly under the pilot chute so that they act like a kicker plate.
However, Strong's "aerobatic wedge" stows all the lines on the diaper, which helps support the pilot's lumbar curve.
Butler says that his diapers can be packed as Type 2 or Type 4 depending upon the thickness of the container. The vast majority of Butler's PEPs use Type 4 deployment.
However, some of Butler's thinnest containers (i.e. long back ... er ... chair types) are more comfortable when most of the lines are stowed in the pack tray.

There are dozens of other tricks to distribute bulk in pilot emergency parachutes.
If you have a spare week, I will explain them!
Tee!
Hee!

I've heard some negatives about the strong diaper, specifically line entanglement on deployment potentially causing it to lock.

I have some seats and 1980's back type I (nb8, etc) that I wore, and sometimes still do, I didnt consider them fatal, I like the C9's...though butlers diaper on a 28' in a new rig is very appealing.

I think the military still uses type I on a flat 24'...I think?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, but remember that 24 flats are designed for low-speed deployments.
Low speed deployments are far more forgiving of sloppy packing methods.
With military static-line systems, you have a 99.99999 percent chance of having a partially-inflated main overhead before you need to deploy a 24 flat.

agree, I dont mind the type I in the PT17 or a T34 or even SNJ, but I wouldnt want it in an L39, strongs harness restraint system can use a C9 but I dont think they use a diaper, softie offers that option, and I like it. Orderly deployment on a durable canopy, I will accept the additional bulk.

With military static-line systems, you have a 99.99999 percent chance of having a partially-inflated main overhead before you need to deploy a 24 flat.

Additionally, the 24 flat is intended for use in addition to, not instead of, the main canopy. In the event of a main malfunction, the reserve is hand-deployed: thrown down and in the direction of spin. With Type 1 deployment, the canopy begins to fill right away, and line extension is much faster because the drag of the inflating canopy is much greater than the drag of a diapered canopy.

Inflation in that situation is still quite slow, as I can attest from experience.

Mark

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That being said, they have saved many a civilian life on terminal deployments with nothing else out - as my existing to type this today attests. B|