Sangi

Dilemma with helmets

Hello there,

I'm a newbie skydiver (with 21 jumps), getting my gear during the winter and I have a dilemma with helmets.

I'm looking for a FF helmet and I narrowed my choice to 3 of them:

1. http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/guner.htm
2. http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/mindwarp.htm
3. http://www.tonfly.com/NI-O_500964.html

One skydiver told me to go for tonfly, even though He's using boneheads guner. And I'm confused. Alot of skydivers say that bonehead helmets have high quality.

So which helmet to choose?

Thank you,
Sangi
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

the one you like the best? and of course the one that makes you look the best.. :P

i have a mindwarp, i like it a lot, ts very quite, i can put two audibles in it and even add a camera later on if i want that. cool helmet!

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

...For the record, you can do the same thing with a Protec :P

But...but...Protec is not such a cool name as Mindwarp and Bonehead, et. al. Nevermind relative protection provided, it's just not cool.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

i have a mindwarp, i like it a lot, ts very quite, i can put two audibles in it and even add a camera later on if i want that. cool helmet!

For the record, you can do the same thing with a Protec :P

Not to mention pelting it, eh? ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

...For the record, you can do the same thing with a Protec :P

But...but...Protec is not such a cool name as Mindwarp and Bonehead, et. al. Nevermind relative protection provided, it's just not cool.
:D:D:D

[:/]....neither is "Tupperware". [:/]
"T'was ever thus."

You can't go wrong with a Bonehead or Tonfly, IMO. Having both...
I think the finish is more durable on the Bonehead. My wingsuit helmet is the Bonehead Mindwarp, and my wingsuit camera helmet is a Tonfly Diablo (same finish as the Nino).
The Mindwarp will stay looking good even after being dropped on the ground, bumping door frames, etc for quite a while. The Tonfly will continue protecting your head, but you'll likely end up putting a lot of stickers on it to cover "oops."
FWIW, I'll forever be in Bonehead's debt. One of my very early jumps, I had a premature deployment on my rig. My head met the side of the aircraft very forcefully, enough to score the side of the helmet and leave permanent paint chips from the plane embedded in it. Coulda been my head. I don't know how a cheaper helmet may have managed that impact. Probably just fine but "no shit...there I was."B|

In case you hadn't figured it out, the $45 Protec actually provides more protection than any of the other helmets discussed. (Except the Bell!) I've been looking for a helmet besides a protec that I liked for a number of years. Still just keep wearing my protecs. Update the pads with and it's even better.

Not cool, but those that know will know that you've use you head for more that supporting the helmet.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

For the record, you can do the same thing with a Protec :P

Absolutely ! I used to jump a Protec in the old days (1980) and was very happy. But I bought a Mindwarp five years ago and have no complaints. I have one audible on the left side and I wear earplugs. The only real issue I have at all with Protecs (which are a FINE helmet) is the open holes at the ears. I'm a little older and already have some hearing loss, so even with the quieter Mindwarp I still wear foam plugs. I can hear my audible just fine too, without its shrill tone drilling a hole through my head. I'm not sure how people set up their audibles with a Protec, but the pictures I see would suggest their ears are not protected and they get the full effect of engine and freefall wind shriek. Hearing loss over time is a very real hazard in our sport. Old farts know it, but I'm not sure the kids believe it. Of course we laughed all that off rocking out in our younger days....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

In case you hadn't figured it out, the $45 Protec actually provides more protection than any of the other helmets discussed. (Except the Bell!) I've been looking for a helmet besides a protec that I liked for a number of years. Still just keep wearing my protecs. Update the pads with and it's even better.

Not cool, but those that know will know that you've use you head for more that supporting the helmet.;)

I wish Protec would come out with closed-ear and full-face models with the same padding...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The Spade or Shovelhead look interesting... too bad they're too small for me (24.5" melon)

I have the same problem with Protecs. Too small. I ordered an Xl half shell for crew. Sucker is too tight.:(

Only full face that fits well is either the BH Mamba or Paratec FreeFr. I chose the Mamba.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity