reinhart36

Considering Pursuing Riggers Cert.

So,

I may be interested in earning a rigger's ticket... As I'm a full-time engineer, my ambition would be to do some "independent" rigging for people (and myself) on the weekends.

I'd like opinions of riggers:

Is it possible to be a "weekend rigger," and keep busy enough packing reserves, performing inspections and mods to stay current and safe?

I think I could enjoy being able to pack reserves for myself and others, as well as perform repairs, mods, etc.. However, I'm not interested in making a full-time job out of it or investing thousands in tools/equipment.

I understand that there's a lot of initial work and time involved in getting certified, but commitments like that aren't new to me...

Silly idea, or realistic?

Thanks!

So,

I may be interested in earning a rigger's ticket... As I'm a full-time engineer, my ambition would be to do some "independent" rigging for people (and myself) on the weekends.

I'd like opinions of riggers:

Is it possible to be a "weekend rigger," and keep busy enough packing reserves, performing inspections and mods to stay current and safe?

I think I could enjoy being able to pack reserves for myself and others, as well as perform repairs, mods, etc.. However, I'm not interested in making a full-time job out of it or investing thousands in tools/equipment.

I understand that there's a lot of initial work and time involved in getting certified, but commitments like that aren't new to me...

Silly idea, or realistic?It is an idea I practice. It can work.

Thanks!

Been covered at length here.

Start here

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=585697;search_string=So%20you%20want%20to%20be%20%20a%20rigger;#585697
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Eric,

Most riggers in the country are just what you describe. Part time for themselves and loyal customers. Only a few riggers do it as a full time job. Even fewer independant from a major dropzone.

I started rigging because I didn't trust ANY of the riggers available to me, I owned three rigs and it was cost effective, and because I want to know everything about anything I do. For a couple of years I didn't do anyones stuff but mine.

And the time commitment can be fairly minimal. Courses like Dave DeWolf's are 10 days. You do need to study ahead of time and it's good to get some idea of what's going on under a local rigger before the course, but not completely necessary. Many people show up fairly cold and manage to make it through. And while they are fully licensed riggers realy still have a lot to learn.

I did it the old fashioned way, apprenticed under a local rigger and took about 2 years to do it. (I'm Slow:$) Either way works.

Equipment is minimal. Some hand tools, some aids, some you make yourself and some you don't need but want to have anyway. Look at your gear manual to see what tools are really needed. And look up the Parachute Rigger Handbook on the FAA web site. What I really need to to a reserve fits in one hand, minus weights. At boogies I use shoes.

And I rigged for 20 years before I had a commercial sewing machine. I wore out three home machines at $100 each but could make toggles (6layers of type IV), sew most velcro, patch canopies, and make gear bags and other stuff.

I probably can only use $30 or $40 worth of tools inspecting and packing a typical reserve, if that. (Pilot rigs need more because of the tables) But I choose to use some others that make my life a little easier.

The key is staying aware of all of the resources you have, keeping up to date with issues and techniques, and not being afraid to ask questions. I'm biased but I believe that one of the best investments you can make is to attend the PIA International Parachute Symposium. I've learned more there than anywhere else and took many ideas, techniques and problems back to the other riggers at home. And I've seen some of the neatest pack jobs and recently one of the messiest there. (No I won't say who.)

The next one, other than Barcelona next month is in Reno in jan/feb 2009.

Feel free to PM me or call is you'd like more information, and what to stay away from.

PIA Rigging Committee Chairman
in the book

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Thanks for the response, but I've read that several times already.

My question is not "How do I become a rigger?"

My question is more about what it's like already being a rigger.

Eric,

Most riggers in the country are just what you describe. Part time for themselves and loyal customers. Only a few riggers do it as a full time job. Even fewer independant from a major dropzone.

I started rigging because I didn't trust ANY of the riggers available to me, I owned three rigs and it was cost effective, and because I want to know everything about anything I do. For a couple of years I didn't do anyones stuff but mine.

And the time commitment can be fairly minimal. Courses like Dave DeWolf's are 10 days. You do need to study ahead of time and it's good to get some idea of what's going on under a local rigger before the course, but not completely necessary. Many people show up fairly cold and manage to make it through. And while they are fully licensed riggers realy still have a lot to learn.

I did it the old fashioned way, apprenticed under a local rigger and took about 2 years to do it. (I'm Slow:$) Either way works.

Equipment is minimal. Some hand tools, some aids, some you make yourself and some you don't need but want to have anyway. Look at your gear manual to see what tools are really needed. And look up the Parachute Rigger Handbook on the FAA web site. What I really need to to a reserve fits in one hand, minus weights. At boogies I use shoes.

And I rigged for 20 years before I had a commercial sewing machine. I wore out three home machines at $100 each but could make toggles (6layers of type IV), sew most velcro, patch canopies, and make gear bags and other stuff.

I probably can only use $30 or $40 worth of tools inspecting and packing a typical reserve, if that. (Pilot rigs need more because of the tables) But I choose to use some others that make my life a little easier.

The key is staying aware of all of the resources you have, keeping up to date with issues and techniques, and not being afraid to ask questions. I'm biased but I believe that one of the best investments you can make is to attend the PIA International Parachute Symposium. I've learned more there than anywhere else and took many ideas, techniques and problems back to the other riggers at home. And I've seen some of the neatest pack jobs and recently one of the messiest there. (No I won't say who.)

The next one, other than Barcelona next month is in Reno in jan/feb 2009.

Feel free to PM me or call is you'd like more information, and what to stay away from.

PIA Rigging Committee Chairman
in the book

Good information (and great post) and while I have never been to the Symposium I have returned every year (except this year) to the course where I got my ticket as an assistant trainer. I have learned more training that when I was in the class.

Your point really shows that being involved. along with building your information network, is the key to staying fresh
Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the response, but I've read that several times already.

My question is not "How do I become a rigger?"

My question is more about what it's like already being a rigger.

Sorry I missunderstood. The other post here says it better than I.

I have three saves in my short career.

1st one was a master rigger who more than likely has more saves than I have pack jobs, and his passanger. The second was me:$. The third was a dear friend. And my work is nearly all good friends. Nothing quite like the thank yous you get from them:)
As the other post shows, staying involved and building a network is key.

Good luck with your desision
Abraham Lincoln

I think there is one reason to pursue a riggers certificate -- that skydiving equipment interests you deeply. Becoming a rigger to save yourself money is not a good reason. I wouldn't want someone to pack my reserve unless they were riggers due to an intense interest in the technical aspects of gear. While there may be other reasons also, there needs to be at least that one reason.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

just a few things that work(ed) well (At least for me)

Keep a copy of Poynters easily accessable. I am not ashamed to say it lived in my bathroom for a few months. Great reading, no one ever bothers you there :) There's a newer book out by Sandy Reid, but i have not had time to get it yet - it has gotten GREAT reviews.

Make friends with your local rigger(s) and pick their brain any time you can. It helps being FRIENDS with them, not just a dude off the street asking questions. See if they will let you pack under their supervision, and don't be afraid to experiment at home with a throwaway canopy. I found that visualizing what the final product needs to be is a great way to start learning. I also like Sandy Reids Voodoo packing manual and the diagrams there. Clamps optional, that's a personal preference.

How's that Tri treating ya ?

I think there is one reason to pursue a riggers certificate -- that skydiving equipment interests you deeply.

I wouldn't want someone to pack my reserve unless they were riggers due to an intense interest in the technical aspects of gear.

Did I mention that I'm an aerospace engineer, a pilot and a skydiver? My interest in the technical aspect of the gear goes without saying.. ;)

Becoming a rigger to save yourself money is not a good reason. While there may be other reasons also, there needs to be at least that one reason.

I agree, though I don't think money has been mentioned anywhere here. :P

Keep a copy of Poynters easily accessable. I am not ashamed to say it lived in my bathroom for a few months. Great reading, no one ever bothers you there :) There's a newer book out by Sandy Reid, but i have not had time to get it yet - it has gotten GREAT reviews.

Hehe! I agree the bathroom is better than the library for concentration. :D

See if they will let you pack under their supervision, and don't be afraid to experiment at home with a throwaway canopy.

When people talk about packing under a rigger's supervision, do these "practice" pack jobs all count toward the requirement of 20 reserve packs (assuming the job was satisfactory to the rigger)?

It's great! It opens nice and slow, and flies great. I'm sending it out for a reline today, actually. It's ugly as hell (purple/orange) - which is nice because nobody wants to steal it! ;)

Thanks for the help!

When people talk about packing under a rigger's supervision, do these "practice" pack jobs all count toward the requirement of 20 reserve packs (assuming the job was satisfactory to the rigger)?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes!
How else would an un-licensed rigger apprentice learn to pack reserves?
The FAA expects you to report for testing with written proof (i.e. a rigger's logbook) of 20 reserves - packed under the supervision of an FAA Rigger - , plus a letter of recommendation saying that you packed twenty reserves under supervision ...

Hehe! I agree the bathroom is better than the library for concentration. :D

See if they will let you pack under their supervision, and don't be afraid to experiment at home with a throwaway canopy.

It's great! It opens nice and slow, and flies great. I'm sending it out for a reline today, actually. It's ugly as hell (purple/orange) - which is nice because nobody wants to steal it! ;)

Thanks for the help!

correct 2
0 supervised packjobs. Just remember it's not ONLY about being able to pack reserves. at a bare minimum you need to know how to operate a sewing machine and tie some knots. I recommend knowing a little more than just that

PS You bought the Triathlon from me, that's why I was asking.