AggieDave

You pay your money and you take your chances...

I have become lazy over the past couple of years jumping, a lot of the time I wouldn't set my brakes since I had a badass packer who didn't mind and I would make up for it later. Well, I hadn't been able to jump for the past 2 1/2 weeks due to work and weather (mainly weather), made it out today, first jump of the day was a SCR attempt. Fun skydive, track off and man the opening was weird. I was fighting it and fighting it then finally it spun up FAST and tossed me on my back. Checked the alti real quick, not enough, so chopped and done. Of course my reserve worked like a champ and I was under it quickly.

What happened you asked? My packer was really tired and didn't set the brakes on my main (which I should have done in the first place) when my rig was packed. Ooooops. Atleast I was due for a repack and of course I kept my handles and a very nice jumper that was visiting saw me cutaway as he was driving in, so he grabbed my freebag and main for me (which landed right next to the drive coming into the airport...good spot huh). So all in all I'm not really out any money, just an annoyance since I didn't get to swoop my canopy today.

So lessons learned. If you pay packers, even the best packers mess up. If you don't pack yourself, be sure that you setup all the trivial stuff for your packer. Even if your packer doesn't mind, since they're people too and make mistakes sometimes.

Anyways, that makes #4 for me, but it was my very first sport chop. (yeah yeah, I know, beer and a bottle, it'll be taken care of). No RSL and I didn't look at the handles (haven't on any of my chops), just grabbed and went as if it was done every jump.

The worst part is a couple people went low and we didn't get the SCR for the maggots on the load. That sucked.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This something I've never understood, I've seen several posts on here where packers didn't set someones brakes that lead to a cutaway. While I do somewhat agree you pay for a pack job you are taking your chances, but on the flip side you are paying someone to due a specific job. If you get line twists,line dump whatever shit happens. But for a packer to simply not check a jumpers brakes is negligant in my opinion...how long does it take for a packer to set or check the brakes? I always set my own brakes for that very reason but still I'd be weary to use a packer that so complacent....glad to hear everything worked out for you dave and at least you were due for a repack anyhow :)

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Back in the day I was a packer, so I understand the packer's side of the story. Although I agree that it should be something that isn't over looked, but I remember one time that I forgot to set the brakes on a canopy when I was a packer. Maybe since I made that mistake before I'm a bit more understanding, but I bet this packer will be a lot like me in this regard. It won't happen again. (The time I didn't set the brakes, it didn't lead to a cutaway, just a really long and squirrelly snivel).

When packing its typically painfully obvious when the brakes aren't set. Especially in the canopy size that I jump. Its not a para-hanky so its not so small you can't tell since everything is at chest level and the size of a tandem slider. Its not a larger canopy that has the tail all over the floor while packing, so its hard to tell the tail is hanging lower due to having not set the brakes.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Happy to hear that you and your gear are safe and sound.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Back in the day I was a packer, so I understand the packer's side of the story.

I'm gonna disagree here....

As a packer - if the brakes aren't set, the canopy is going to seem odd packing - "why is the tail so far down?" "Why are the brake lines so much longer than the D's this time?" Anytime there is the least little thing that seems different, my packing philosophy is STOP, figure it out, then proceed to pack. I'll try to get you on the next load - but you can be damn sure I'm gonna get you safely to the ground.

That's why over 8000 pack jobs later, the only reserve ride I've packed was a tandem that blew apart on opening due to fabric failure.
Scars remind us that the past is real

It is nice that you have a good relationship with your packer, that gives you a better shot at a good opening. I have around 15000 pack jobs without a reserve ride on any of then. I am a rigger and I love to pack. I know that I am a freak. If you don't check the brakes, you need a serious sit down talk. I have pulled some bonehead moves, like not cocking the PC all the way, But the brakes? If that happens again to you or anyone this packer packs for I would say the proper action would be to say bye, bye forever from your DZ. I am very adamant about good pack-jobs. You take another persons life in your hand every time you pack for them. This is a serious business, our packers need to take it just as seriously.

I sure am glad you came out of this one with everything in tact.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

I agree...That is a huge screw-up, not a minor mistake. I tried to pack my own canopy once without stowing the brakes and when I picked it up it was immediately obvious what was the matter. Hopefully the packer paid for your repack and bought you numerous beers.

Custom T-Shirts and Pullup cords

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the day I was a packer, so I understand the packer's side of the story.

I'm gonna disagree here....

As a packer - if the brakes aren't set, the canopy is going to seem odd packing - "why is the tail so far down?" "Why are the brake lines so much longer than the D's this time?" Anytime there is the least little thing that seems different, my packing philosophy is STOP, figure it out, then proceed to pack.

i'll second jumper03 on this one. even a rookie packer should be able to tell something is amiss. i don't see it being any different than a TI forgetting to hook up the uppers. it has happened, but it is easily preventable.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

The times when I've forgotten to set my brakes it's SO OBVIOUS when I'm packing. I don't understand how someone....espcially a packer....could not notice that the brakes aren't set when he/she's flaking the tail. I've only paid a packer maybe 5 times ever, but that's not the kind of oversight that would be acceptable to me. Wouldn't let that one touch my gear again.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

As a packer of five years (with something like 15,000 pack jobs) not setting the brakes is a pretty bonehead move. If you can't reach the tail, somethings up. If you're packing and have even the slightest suspicion that something is different, stop and figure it out.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Ok,,what is the norm ?,,you drop the rig on the floor,set your brakes and the packer does the rest?

I ask cuz i never paid attention...if its true,its like stickin' your dick inside,ok,,cool and then getting up and someone else sticks it in and finishes...;)
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083