mykle200

Performance Designs

perhaps it is the dropzone you jump at, the region... different regions seem to favor different gear. . PD, has it's name out there, it's been there for a while, and it is proven. Not to mention that they continually strive to improve their products.

now, after saying that.. I only have a PDR, my main is Icarus, so don't think I say that only because I use PD.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Well, PD does seem to have the largest market share of canopies out there as well as the largest number of different canopies made and sold than any other company.

I'm not saying they're the best company, but they do very well.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ok im sure im going to ruffle some feathers but why is it that most everyone is so stuck on PD there are so many good canopys out there. I now open it up to dicussion, enjoy!!!!

yeah, I agree that it's all in where you live. At my Dz, all the cool kids have Wings containers and Pilot (Aerodyne) mains. We used to be a PD dropzone, but then a few people bought Pilots, really liked them, and told their friends. When I was jumping in the NW, everybody who was anybody had an infinity. Wings were for losers. In DeLand, I felt like a king with a Racer, because that's what the cool kids there had.
=========Shaun ==========

I think one small reason for it is PD's demo program. It's just so easy to get a PD canopy in your hands. I tried to demo a Pilot a long time ago... filled out the demo order form and never heard a thing back. With PD, I did the same thing and had a Spectre a week later maybe?

But it definitely is regional... a lot based on what instructors recommend that their students buy when they get their first rigs and on what other people are jumping. Around here, you're more likely to see a Hurricane or Vortex2 container than a Stiletto or Mirage. Even among PD canopies, some types are more or less common in certain areas.

Dave

Yep, its a regional thing. Locally for us there is a group of 5-7 that have Big Air Sportz canopies. Once one got it the rest of us demoed and followed right behind.

Finding more then 1 other Big Air pilot at a DZ is a rare find anymore besides at the Ranch.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ok im sure im going to ruffle some feathers but why is it that most everyone is so stuck on PD there are so many good canopys out there. I now open it up to dicussion, enjoy!!!!

Because they build more canopies than anyone else?
Because they were the first to market with a factory-built, commercial canopy that is still around today?
Maybe because they have an incredible customer service department?
I'm sure that their PDFactory Team winning most of the various slots in swoop and RW competitions doesn't hurt.
They have a super-cool demo program
Their laser-cutting tables are wicked to watch and no one else has anything quite like them (They were designed by PD's president).
They have more canopy models/options/designs than anyone?
Their logo is commonly seen on a canopy?
I can think of a lot of reasons, but the upshot, IMO, is that they've been around for a long time, have solid engineering that has been very much an influence on the industry over the past couple of decades, and they seem to genuinely care about customers. They make quite a few canopies that don't wear their branding, BTW.
Popularity is pretty regional though. At our DZ, you'll see lots of PD. Go north 30 miles, everyone jumps Icarus.
Besides that, Kolla and Kim kick ass when it comes to getting things done around there. Ask anybody.:P

Yep I have seen the regional deal as well Im just curious what different people have to say. I guess what im getting at is they have VERY expensive canopys and yet seem to somewhat corner the market as we all know there are equal if not better canopys out there, just taking a poll...

Locally for us there is a group of 5-7 that have Big Air Sportz canopies.

Guess where the bulk of those canopies are manufactured at? I'll give you a hint....it starts with the letter P and ends with the letter D:P
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Since we are playing reasons here.. how bout this one...

PD is the only company on the market right now with so many different canopy models in production that there is at least one for every skydiver! No other company makes such a variety of canopies, from Student (Navigator), to light performance and ease of packing (Silhouette), to a general purpose (Sabre2), to a solid high/medium performance 7-cell (Spectre) and so on....
=========Shaun ==========

why is it that most everyone is so stuck on PD there are so many good canopys out there.

Nobody else makes a canopy that will last for 2000+ jumps.

Nobody else provides the customer service they do.

Those two things alone explain why many professional choose PD. They last, and they can get them repaired/serviced quickly, and with excellent communication. If you're trying to make a living with a parachute these are key areas.

I'll add to that personal experience with 99% of my jumps on PD products, The canopies and the company has always performed beyond my expectation.

Guess where the bulk of those canopies are manufactured at? I'll give you a hint....it starts with the letter P and ends with the letter D:P

That is true but My Samurai is a "Sig" series that Brian Made :P PD does a great job at what they do... I have a huge variety of equipment but the highest % of canopies I own are from PD and 3 of my 4 rigs have PDR's and I use a PD main for my WS rig.. Thinking about it, Honestly I probably have 1 too many rigs, oh well, I have too much stuff :S

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I don't have enough stuff, I'd be glad to help out by taking one of those rigs off your hands. Then we'd each have three, there would be balance in the universe and I won't even charge you for the privilege. Just make sure the rig you give me has a PD reserve. ;)

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I agree with Eric. Down here in Central TX, there used to be a ton od cobalts, If you go to san diego, you will probably see a ton of Icarus mains. In areas with strong dealer support, like the ranch with big air, you will see a lot of those canopies. PD also travels all over with their demo program putting more canopies into more hands than anyone else. I guess one answer would be, "Good Marketing of a great product":)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Over the last few years I've had the opportunity to jump nearly every popular in the US (and some not so popular) modern sport main out there. What I found along the way is that no other company had as many quality designs and well built canopies as PD. Just as important is that I found that no other canopy company has the customer service that PD does either.

Call up PD for a demo and see for yourself. I have an obviously skewed opinion with PD, so try to demo from some other companies too. You'll see the difference.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Which is why I mention that PD's are like no other. Didn't say they're better, just unique.
IMO, it's inspiring to walk through a factory like PD where almost everything you see, from silly tennis-ball stops on lift cables to plywood boxes concealing motors to monster laser tables were designed and predominantly built by the owner of the company.
it's also pretty cool to see the military canopies being made right along side sport canopies, and seeing them all get identical treatment/inspection/handling. I haven't seen the Icarus factory, only small pix at PIA.

My BASE canopy was even outsourced to them to sew - and guess what - that is one of the major reasons I picked it. I wanted to make sure when I got it, that it was a PD canopy since it does not have their name on it, so I found the laser cut barcodes, and smiled...

To me, knowing the fabric is perfectly cut, makes it a deal breaker... I have cut fabric, and I know the difference automation makes.

PD all the way for me.

Wow looks like a lot of people are after sponsorship or something...

So what is it that you find so important about the automated cutting part?
Accuracy? I would think that sewing tolerances are a whole lot higher than cutting tolerances are. Your base canopy definitely does not benefit from that.

Automation is for their gain, not so match yours.

Wow looks like a lot of people are after sponsorship or something...

Automation is for their gain, not so match yours.

Sponsorships aside... Look at a canopy, closely...

I have....

Not every "hand cut" canopy is "cut poorly", some are.... However every "automated cut canopy" is cut the same, good or bad... One less variable. The people who sew follow the cut edges. If the cut edges are not perfect, the seam can't be either. It all starts at the cut. Every canopy's characteristics are determined by symmetry and accuracy. I truly believe it is for my gain too.

I have a lot of PD product. I am proud of it. Even if the automation is their gain and not mine. I also have other canopies not made by PD, and they are nice too... But, I am a PD fan...

You can't knock me for being one... And, I will never tell you that your canopy sucks, because it might not.:P I have a lot of friends who sware by their Crossfire2's... And, if given one, I would probably jump it too. :P

I can only expand on this thread based on customer service. I had to use my hook knife prior to a cut away. With 4 lines cut I sent it to PD to have them replaced. I rec'd a call from Donna who told me that it needed a complete reline (only had 100 jumps sabreII) and it would be half price because it was so new. I got off the phone and was "are you effing kidding". I rec'd the canopy back in 22 days. They made me feel like that my canopy was the only one there getting fixed. That impressed me with such a large company. nuf said