taylor.freefall

whats that little bungee at top of rigs?

I hope this doesn't come across as really stupid but I've noticed at the dz that some people have like a little bungee sticking out the top of their rig, what is that?

Most of them that I've seen are not really very safe if you ask me. If fact the way the bungee's are wrapped around the reserve flap my guess is it isn't legal either.
The best or safest way to hold down your slider is to have a slider stop sewn onto the lower part of the front risers. It's what Brian Germain calls "Slocks".
Check this out:

http://www.bigairsportz.com/article.php#slider

Bungee's are bad in my opinion. Could keep you from being able to cut away if needed. Some use a rubber band instead of bungee, thinking that the rubber band will break if cutaway is done.

I too prefer the "Slocks". Had my rigger sew them on the risers, and they work great.

I hope this doesn't come across as really stupid but I've noticed at the dz that some people have like a little bungee sticking out the top of their rig, what is that?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You're right, it is really stupid, but it is not your fault.

Bungees are supposed to hold the slider at the bottom of the risers so that it does not interfer with vision.
The biggest disadvantage of those stupid bungees is that they might interfere with a cutaway.
Skydivers would be far wiser to sew "Slocks" or "slider-catchers" to their main risers.

I've been using a bungee/2x ruberband system for about 300 jumps now.

One of those jumps included a canopy wrap and double cutaway.

Be it my fault or jumper #2's fault I really don't care anymore... the rubber band broke, never to be seen again, and the bungee still works today.

I HEARD the rubber band break when I cut away as the slider was stowed behind my head.

The reserve pilot chute may have been held up by the bungee located on my first reserve flap (I fly a mirage g4), however as everything happened according to plan we will never know.

If I ever jump my rig agian, I will stow my slider behind my head using two rubber bands and a bungee. That's all I've got to say.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

slock's just don't work for me...
1. If you have a big slider it can (and usually does) interfere with view and annoing with flaping even when his grommets are at the rings (down the risers)...
2. When I just stow slider behind my head - it's grommets usually stay at the rings without any gadgets like slocks, but it center part goes up and flaping =/
See the pics...

So I use the half of rubber band and small soft ball (holded on a bungee which wrapped around the reserve flap) to stow my slider and keep it completely away from my view (I twist slider few times instead of collapsing it, stow behind my head and lock on the ball via rubber band). Slocks in my case just does not make a sence...

P.S. All parts of the "construction" can (and sometimes did) be broken very easy and I doub't that it can hold my cutaway...
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You're right, it is really stupid, but it is not your fault.

Bungees are supposed to hold the slider at the bottom of the risers so that it does not interfer with vision.
The biggest disadvantage of those stupid bungees is that they might interfere with a cutaway.
Skydivers would be far wiser to sew "Slocks" or "slider-catchers" to their main risers.[/reply

Whats even worse is I still dont get it :S Why is it in the center near the reserve flap if it's to hold the slider down? surely it would then be attached to a riser? Patience please - I'm a beginner?! :P

Whats even worse is I still dont get it Why is it in the center near the reserve flap if it's to hold the slider down? surely it would then be attached to a riser? Patience please - I'm a beginner?!

See the pics attached to prev. post...
Center of the slider is holded to the center of the rig's yoke, so the rest of the slider is pulled down and didn't interfere wtih vision and didn't flaping. The purpose of slider holding is not to hold grommets at the bottom of risers, but to keep the material of slider away from view and keep it silent.

Whats even worse is I still dont get it Why is it in the center near the reserve flap if it's to hold the slider down? surely it would then be attached to a riser? Patience please - I'm a beginner?!

See the pics attached to prev. post...
Center of the slider is holded to the center of the rig's yoke, so the rest of the slider is pulled down and didn't interfere wtih vision and didn't flaping. The purpose of slider holding is not to hold grommets at the bottom of risers, but to keep the material of slider away from view and keep it silent.

Yeah I see what you mean. It wasn't until I got my own rig and pulled it to bits that I understood it. Still confused as to why the reserve pilot chute pings off and can't stay attached but I'm meeting a rigger soon to see how/why it's all done. It'll all come together eventually.
EDIT - It's just clicked :P

"are you serious? that information is in the SIM. "

Is that like a PIM? :P
Just a little translation for the Canadians on board. Remember us? The land of PFF!

Es gibt nur zwei Dinge welche unendlich sind: das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, wobei ich mir beim Ersten nicht ganz sicher bin..

SIM stands for "Skydiver's Information Manual".
the purpose of a freebag is so you can't have a horseshoe on your reserve. even if the bridle would entangle with your body it still comes off the canopy and just trails after that.
I also believe that is standard material in your AFF class.
pay attention guys.... it might some day save your life.

Whoa!
1. collapse the slder
2. twist the slider a few times
3. tuck it in with the bungee and the band
Add in: grab rear risers, look for possible collision with jumper who's too busy stowing all his gear to look around, loosen off chest strap, lift visor, stow booties if on RW jump, look again for other unaware jumpers, locate DZ and check altitude, look for alternate landing areas because you had a couple of line twista and a slider that didn't come slamming down.
How high do you have to pull to do all this? Especially on a jump frpm a Cessna 206 or 182!

I just collapse mine and jam it under the back of my helmet.
Es gibt nur zwei Dinge welche unendlich sind: das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, wobei ich mir beim Ersten nicht ganz sicher bin..

Don't need to collapse, just twist pull down through the slinks and stow on ball via rubber band = the same time as for pull through the slinks and collapse...

Complete procedure after deployment is:
steer with rears 90° to jump run (controling airspace)
check air space/LZ/wind (change course if needed)
pull down slider, twist few times, stow it
sit deeper in harness
loose the chest strap
shut off the cam (optional)
unstow the brakes

Well usually I have enough time for all that stuff even when deployed a bit lower:$...

Whoa!
1. collapse the slder
2. twist the slider a few times
3. tuck it in with the bungee and the band
Add in: grab rear risers, look for possible collision with jumper who's too busy stowing all his gear to look around, loosen off chest strap, lift visor, stow booties if on RW jump, look again for other unaware jumpers, locate DZ and check altitude, look for alternate landing areas because you had a couple of line twista and a slider that didn't come slamming down.
How high do you have to pull to do all this? Especially on a jump frpm a Cessna 206 or 182!

I just collapse mine and jam it under the back of my helmet.

You can't chew gum and walk at the same time can you. :P
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

SIM stands for "Skydiver's Information Manual".
the purpose of a freebag is so you can't have a horseshoe on your reserve. even if the bridle would entangle with your body it still comes off the canopy and just trails after that.
I also believe that is standard material in your AFF class.
pay attention guys.... it might some day save your life.

Actually no I never was told that on AFF, seriously. We were told all about emergency procedures on the main and what to do then but nothing about how the reserve works, or on the packing class - just told how to pack the main. Yeah I got the SIM and I am reading my way through it and also skydivers handbook. I've been jumping less than three months so you'll have to forgive me if I ask questions that may seem basic to you, there's a lot of stuff to take in for a beginner that may seem easy to more advanced jumpers. Maybe there should be some more instruction after AFF so newbies can be better informed
rather than pretty much being left to their own devices.

Don't feel bad, I didn't know that was the purpose of the freebag either. I knew they detached, but didn't really think about the reason behind it. Makes sense, but seems like it would be a little too much information overload for a FJC. :S Why would a student even need to know that the freebag and pilot chute detach from the reserve? How will that help them save their life?

I've never heard of that information being covered in an AFF class.

There is supposed to be more instruction after AFF, it's called the coach program, but there is some debate as to how effective it is. I felt lost and had a lot of questions from around 15-25 jumps too. I'm sure there are some experienced jumpers at your DZ who will be more than willing to talk to you and answer questions you might have and help you out. You just have to show an interest and approach them. Or ask someone on the staff to point you in the right direction to help get your questions answered.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Yeah thanks Laura, we did the coached jumps after AFF but they concentrated more on movement ie tracking, flips, turns etc etc Sometimes when I'm sat at home things occur to me that dont when I'm at the dropzone if you see what I mean. jojo's answer was very helpful actually, now I think about it it's bloody obvious really?! :P:P:P:P oh well, that's life ;);)

Taylor,

The best thing you can do right now is hang around the dropzone. Coach jumps are good but you'll also learn a ton hanging out around the bonfire or hanger after hours drinking a cold beverage. We've all been there. Its also very easy to forget we didn't didn't learn what we know overnight. Sounds like you've got the right attitude. Ask questions and keep learning. My father once told me and the people in hundreds of first jump courses he taught: "there is no such thing as a dumb question".

Blues,

Marcel
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

This is pretty easily fixed by cutting the bungee in the back and attaching velcro to both sides. The velcro holds it together so the bungee accomplishes the same purpose of holding the slider down. In the case of a cutaway, the main will pull the bungee and the velcro will separate resulting in a clean cutaway. You just need the right amount of velcro to keep the bungee on during normal use, but still be able to release during a cutaway.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com